Super He351 in "slow" progress

Peterson

Ok im going to be starting a little project with a he351. Im running a hx52 right now and im looking to back down the power some to work on my tractor more. So my plan though is to make a Super He351. Now your prolly asking whats so "Super" about a he351. haha Well The plan is to put the 64x76mm 10 blade turbine from a super hx40 in the he351. Plus i found a super 40's Billet compressor wheel, so that will be going in too.

I will be running this on my 2nd gen dodge. So i was planning on getting a hy35 cover machined to the wheel size of the he351. Well i have emailed different companies to have it machined, and well i havent ever got a email back from any of them. So i will have to settle for the 351's cover.

I want to do a test of the stock he351 first and see what the temp, boost, and drive pressure are with it. Then maybe put the billet wheel on it with the stock turbine. Then put the Super one together and see what it does.

So what do ya guys think of my plan?

So what do ya guys think of my plan?

So...you're taking an HE351...which is an HY35 with an HX40 compressor...and putting an HX40 turbine into it....which would make it a plain HY40....then putting a super HX40 compressor on it...which would make it a normal super HX40 with a tiny A/R turbine housing.

Why not go with a normal Super HX40 to start with and save a bunch of time/money? The 9cm housing will be way too small for what an super HX40 can flow.

Last edited:
Captain :shake: hat is correct in that the he351 and super hx40 have the same compressor wheel. There are 62-64mm versions available which would be a better choice for the 351. The bigger turbine is something I would love on mine to help the turbo flow some more on the exhaust side and support a bigger compressor wheel. Basically you are making a "cheetah" turbo which has done close to or over 700 hp and spools wicked fast. I will be watching this thread and may pick up a spare turbo to do this too.

First find me a super 40 that some one doesn't wait a arm and a leg for. Now with the smaller exhaust housing you will have even faster spool plus with the 1" sized wastegate it should flow just the same as a the regular exhaust housing size that came on the super 40.

Now that was my plan is to make a chettah turbo that will spool faster then any stock Hx35 or 40 plus have the potential to make some horse power.

Now cliff if ur lookin for a super 40 turbine I can get you the places email where I got mine. Its a used but genuine holset. I was goin to use one of bae's but didn't like what I was hearing about some on there stuff.

I would contact BAE. They make decent reproduction parts. I have used many over the last two years. I would purchase the 62mm compressor upgrade kit for close to $175 and use a 67mm 12 blade H1E turbine wheel.

Still use the Holset rebuild kit, they use much better material.

I think that might be to much weight for that 7mm shaft.

It might be, but I don't believe it the whole shaft breaking due to the weight of the wheels. I still say its the balance of the assembly. I have never had a shaft break on the ones I have built. I push them past their limits.

I'd stay clear of the HX40's anyway. I have seen them break shafts more than any other turbo.
The HE431 versions of the HX40 seems to have resolved that problem.

I called Fleece today and they said that they can machine the hy35 cover to the he351 specs. So thats the plan with that.

No the flanges on the centersections where the housing set are different sizes. The he351,341 and hy35 are smaller then the hx35 or 40s. Otherwise I would have.

Well Mr.T$ will be doin the machining for me. So whenever i get the wheel i will be sending him the cover and wheel to have it mached up.

Back