Super He351 in "slow" progress

This topic is very interesting- bummed it has fizzled.

I have a HE351 that needs rebuilt and want to try replicating the Fleece Cheetah or something similar. I'm a bit lost on how to accomplish this though.

Does anyone know what the benefit of the OP's original intent setup would've been with the Super 40 turbine installed? Same quick spool as stock HE351?

LOL it hasn't fizzled! Just haven't had the time to get some numbers and get it swaped. Been getting firewood and working outside. I will get it done sometime. Its not going anywhere.

Thanks Guys for the interest!!!!!!

Let me see if I have this right...
High drive pressure means the volume of gas (air) is greater than what the turbine/housing can pass therefore driving up the drive pressure and robbing power from the engine by trying to force out exhaust gases. The goal would then be to flow the largest amount through the turbine/housing with the lowest restriction (pressure) while generating the most boost and volume? Please educate me on this- trying to better understand the objective.

In terms of drive pressure with my HE351CW I would pull my TT up 6% grades, 55mph, at about 27-30 psi of boost and 40-50 psi of drive pressure. I swapped to a Garrett GT3782R and pull the same hills at 22-26 psi of boost and 18-20 psi of drive pressure, with lower EGT's and cooler IAT's. I also make about 70 rwhp more now, at the same EGT, 7 psi less boost, and 1/2 the drive pressure. While cruising empty I also get better mileage from the lack of drive pressure. The GT3782R compressor is only rated at 2 lb/min more, meaning all of those improvements are from decreasing the back-pressure and improving overall airflow thru the motor.

The 37 turbine is a monster compared to an he351/hx35 turbine wheel. Although the exhaust housing is still bigger on the 37, the 9cm housing coupled with the 351cw wheel is an attempt at fast spool and higher flow in a factory type setting.

The 37 turbine is a monster compared to an he351/hx35 turbine wheel. Although the exhaust housing is still bigger on the 37, the 9cm housing coupled with the 351cw wheel is an attempt at fast spool and higher flow in a factory type setting.

Yeah it defiantly flows a lot better. I wouldn't call it a monster compared, but certainly a bit bigger. 65x58 on a HE351 and 72.5x64 on the GT37.

I think the tight OEM setup is also for emissions. The cam/turbo both work together for the in-cylinder EGR that was used in 04.5-07. They increased airflow with the HE351's comp wheel, but kept the turbine/housing the same. The cam has the best intake flow of any 5.9 in a Ram and the worst exhaust flow. Combine short exhaust duration with high back-pressure and you get poor exhaust flow, and thus EGR without an EGR.

These different configuration options are very interesting... I need to get my 341 off since it's pushing 35 psi. I'm sitting on a 351cw that needs a rebuild and weighing my options for modding it instead of a straight oe rebuild.

Can't wait to see some results from the OP!

Anyone have any suggested "minimums" to rebuilding an HE351 for adding a little extra to it? I'm thinking of porting/polishing the turbine housing a bit and that's it at the moment.

what tolerances did you have your housings machined to? 0.7mm over the wheel size with +/- 0.1mm tolerance? I am preparing to do this same modification to mine..

port the wastegate as big as you can. i ported the inlet flange and it seemed to help.

Could you give a little more info on this? Or possibly have a pic of what part of the wastegate you're talking about porting? I've done some work to an he351 slated for use on a '95 eclipse GSX. Ended up setting it up for an external recirculated WG, and milled off the stock 4" v band to help make the turbine more compact for his application.

This seems like something that I could easily do, and possibly pick up a little power or lower egt's when i crank up the fuel a little every now and then.

Back