Super He351 in "slow" progress

SO.... when porting wastegate hole, must also accomodate that mod with a larger piston area wastegate actuator?

Root motivation for porting wastegate passage is decreased EGT's????

Am I on the right track here?

Root cause is to control drive power sent to turbine wheel via exhaust energy to control total wheel speed, boost, drive pressure, egts. Usually it is not an issue to hold it shut with oem wastegate actuator or spring gate. In this instance, I think you are trying to over engineer it.

My question is, how in the world did you guys fit that 76mm turbine inducer in a turbo set up for a 65mm inducer?? Also, why bother with a super 40 wheel when there are cast 62s and billet 63s out there?

It fits in without machining. Only thing you machine for is the exducer. And the reason I went with the super 40 billet wheel is bc it was cheap. And the turbo is still sitting on my bench. To Many things going on.

it has to be pretty close to hitting inside the housing, and the tips of the blades must be hanging over the pedestal a ways?

Guess I'll have to tear down a 351cw to see then, because every 40 I've ever tore down had a 76mm inducer turbine and a pedestal to match.

My dad just had the turbine in his HE351CW upgraded to a 70x60mm wheel. It's the same wheel the HE351VE uses.

It made an impressive difference. Low power boost is down to where it should be, spool is increased, and the truck seems smoother. On another not the turbine sound is VERY different.

I haven't driven the truck too much, but the motor reacts better than it did before which tells me the drive pressure is down.

I was told a 70x65mm wheel can also be used, but you are about out of room with the wastegate port.

My dad just had the turbine in his HE351CW upgraded to a 70x60mm wheel. It's the same wheel the HE351VE uses.

It made an impressive difference. Low power boost is down to where it should be, spool is increased, and the truck seems smoother. On another not the turbine sound is VERY different.

I haven't driven the truck too much, but the motor reacts better than it did before which tells me the drive pressure is down.

I was told a 70x65mm wheel can also be used, but you are about out of room with the wastegate port.

I'm planning on changing out the turbine on mine soon, though I'm not sure which one to go with. From the pics, it looks like 64-65mm is about the largest exducer that'll fit. Are there any advantages to the 76 exducer vs the 70 in this tiny turbine housing?

Out of curiosity, what'd it do to the sound? Lol

Last edited:
I don't think the 76mm inducer will fit, due to the bearing housing. I think the flange is too small. Chris, if you have downtime, I can hook you up on machining the turbine z

It sounds more like a jet at idle and low load. I haven't driven it with a load, but both mom and dad said it has more turbo sound.

I don't think the 76mm inducer will fit, due to the bearing housing. I think the flange is too small. Chris, if you have downtime, I can hook you up on machining the turbine z

Looks like that's what the OP used. Ya I'll shoot you a text, trucks gonna be down for a while, wife got laid off so when I'm not in school I'm working

My question is, how in the world did you guys fit that 76mm turbine inducer in a turbo set up for a 65mm inducer?? Also, why bother with a super 40 wheel when there are cast 62s and billet 63s out there?

It fits in without machining. Only thing you machine for is the exducer. And the reason I went with the super 40 billet wheel is bc it was cheap. And the turbo is still sitting on my bench. To Many things going on.

Last edited:
I'm looking at doing this with my 351 also. I was thinking of going with BAE for the wheel, but between the he351 and hx40 they have several different options.

The 12 blade 70/60 is the stock ve wheel correct? I was leaning towards it but there is also a 10 blade 70/60, would either one be better than the other? There is also a 10 blade 70/64. And then you have the 76/64 in both 10 and 12 blade versions.

Any opinions or thoughts on what might be best to go with? I'm looking to twin this turbo in the next few months, so I want good flow to feed the primary, but I also want to keep spool as quick as I can get away with. Also can anybody explain what difference blade count actually makes?

The 10 blade 76/64 wheel flows the most from he info I have gathered.

I just don't want to kill the spool that I've come to love from my he351.... Hmmm

It'd be real helpful to hear feedback from someone who has run the 76/64 turbine :thumbsup:

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. I got it on my truck but havent been able to try it out much because i twisted off my nv4500 input shaft. But i can tell you i got much more lowend with this turbo than the hx52. It sounds much more like a straight piped 6 leaker. When i get my tranny back in i will let you guys know bout it!

I just don't want to kill the spool that I've come to love from my he351.... Hmmm

It'd be real helpful to hear feedback from someone who has run the 76/64 turbine :thumbsup:

^^^^Me too, I love how responsive it is, but even at my fairly low power level it seems to choke up top and I'm only spinning to 3k for now.

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. I got it on my truck but havent been able to try it out much because i twisted off my nv4500 input shaft. But i can tell you i got much more lowend with this turbo than the hx52. It sounds much more like a straight piped 6 leaker. When i get my tranny back in i will let you guys know bout it!

Added sound is always a plus, I was disappointed with the lack of turbine noise from the 351. On a much more important note though, can you give any rough numbers on spool rpm? I realize you didn't drive it much but just a ballpark estimate.

I have a question that kinda goes with the line of thought here. I've ordered a 10 blade 64/76 turbine, and will be getting my housing machined. The OP also changed to a stock sized billet compressor wheel for a little more airflow. I've found an hx40 compressor, same size 60/86, but it's a 6 blade instead of 7 like stock. Would I gain or even affect anything if I swapped it in also? It's much cheaper than any of the billet wheels so I'm wondering if it'd be worth the effort.

Stay with the he351 compressor wheel, its the same as the super40 billet wheel I used. IIRC on the 6 blade wheel, the exducer tip height is shorter.

I have a question that kinda goes with the line of thought here. I've ordered a 10 blade 64/76 turbine, and will be getting my housing machined. The OP also changed to a stock sized billet compressor wheel for a little more airflow. I've found an hx40 compressor, same size 60/86, but it's a 6 blade instead of 7 like stock. Would I gain or even affect anything if I swapped it in also? It's much cheaper than any of the billet wheels so I'm wondering if it'd be worth the effort.

Who is machining the housing for you? Where did you buy the turbine wheel? I would stick with the stock configuration compressor wheel also. Seven blade is probably the best. Take pics. I am in the process of collecting he351s also. Soon as I get three, I want to send them all off for work.

Back