Super He351 in "slow" progress

sweet!
glad you got the truck up and running, sounds like a pretty cool project that works.
thanx for the update.

too often the projects like this fizzle or they don't have the results desired so, they trail off in silence

My turbine arrived today. I have to say it's bigger than I was expecting. The blades are also very thick compared to the stock turbine. Here's a few measurements I took, I don't believe they have been posted yet. Also proof that the inducer will indeed fit in the stock housing.

2013-10-28_17-58-16_367_zpsad3be179.jpg

2013-10-28_17-55-00_266_zps6e8fa5d8.jpg

2013-10-28_17-56-40_127_zpsc9a433b4.jpg

2013-10-27_12-28-59_258_zpsbeae3d1d.jpg

2013-10-28_17-52-31_26_zps342c294f.jpg

What is the expansion on the blades? For some reason I think 1.5mm of clearance is needed, but I don't recall for sure.

I'm not sure about that I was about to ask the same thing. 0.7mm over wheel size was mentioned earlier, but nobody ever confirmed that. I can't get my calipers inside the housing where the exducer fits to measure the stock housing to wheel clearance.

Gotcha. That makes sense, if your talking blade to wall clearance that would be an overall diameter increase to the 1.5 I was thinking. Then again I haven't researched that for a while.

I want to say I was told to have the housing of my dad's housing machined to 61.5, but the place I sent it knew what to do so we never discussed it.

Last edited:
Gotcha. That makes sense, if your talking blade to wall clearance that would be an overall diameter increase to the 1.5 I was thinking. Then again I haven't researched that for a while.

I want to say I was told to have the housing of my dad's housing machined to 61.5, but the place I sent it knew what to do so we never discussed it.

Yes that's what I meant, 0.7 gap all the way around so 1.5mm total past wheel size. The machine shop I'm using says they've done turbo housings before but told me they'd need the specs I want them to cut it to. If anybody could confirm the needed gap for sure that'd be great.

I like to go 2.0mm total over wheel size, gives a little more fudge room for turbo abuse, barking, bearing wear, etc.

You'll get more efficiency and better spoolup the tighter you make it on the compressor side. On the turbine side, you'll get more flow the looser you make it.

Yes that's what I meant, 0.7 gap all the way around so 1.5mm total past wheel size. The machine shop I'm using says they've done turbo housings before but told me they'd need the specs I want them to cut it to. If anybody could confirm the needed gap for sure that'd be great.
So are you machining your housing or no? Sorry if you said so or not already.

Thanks!

I like to go 2.0mm total over wheel size, gives a little more fudge room for turbo abuse, barking, bearing wear, etc.

You'll get more efficiency and better spoolup the tighter you make it on the compressor side. On the turbine side, you'll get more flow the looser you make it.

Awesome thanks man. So having this housing bored to an even 66mm should work well then. So if looser means more flow, how does that affect spool? Would it spool faster if I kept it tighter on the hotside?

So are you machining your housing or no? Sorry if you said so or not already.

Thanks!

I am not machining it myself no. I am having it done though, dropping it off tomorrow along with a few other parts to be milled.

The OP said no, and from what I'm seeing with mine I'd agree. The inducer slides right through the opening for the center housing(not sure what the technical term is) and once inside it has plenty of room.

The OP said no, and from what I'm seeing with mine I'd agree. The inducer slides right through the opening for the center housing(not sure what the technical term is) and once inside it has plenty of room.
Can I ask what machining the housing cost?

It's hard to tell from the pic how much it opens up inside, but looks like a PITA to machine.

Hey NC, who did you get the turbine through? I know you said ebay, was it that GYTurbo for $89? Did you get the rebuild kit from ebay too for around $40, or did you go with a kit closer to the $100 mark?

Hey NC, who did you get the turbine through? I know you said ebay, was it that GYTurbo for $89? Did you get the rebuild kit from ebay too for around $40, or did you go with a kit closer to the $100 mark?

The turbine did come from GYturbo or something like that. I don't recall where the rebild kit came from but it was around $100. I used one of the cheap kits on my hx35 a couple years ago and never had a problem with it, but I'll be pushing this turbo a lot harder and I'd hate for it to fail due to a cheapo rebuild kit. They may be identical but it makes me feel better.

As a side note I had to work late this evening and didn't get to drop of my parts at the machine shop. Hoping for tomorrow.

The turbine did come from GYturbo or something like that. I don't recall where the rebild kit came from but it was around $100. I used one of the cheap kits on my hx35 a couple years ago and never had a problem with it, but I'll be pushing this turbo a lot harder and I'd hate for it to fail due to a cheapo rebuild kit. They may be identical but it makes me feel better.

As a side note I had to work late this evening and didn't get to drop of my parts at the machine shop. Hoping for tomorrow.
Are going with larger compresser wheel as well?

Correct, I was not sure if the 76 inducer would fit or not.. But it appears that it does.

Holy smokes buddy! I can see why you had doubts about the turbine fitting. I got my 351cw yesterday, and it doesn't look like theres much room left just looking at the stock turbine on the inducer or exducer side. Amazing how close these machinists can get.

thanks for the pictures NC, are you having them machine both the inducer and exducer spots in the housing. by your measurements it looks as if there is not 1.5-2.0mm clearance around the inducer of the exhaust housing, actually around .86mm. would this be a concern or do you only open up the exducer side of the housing?

Well folks I've hit a snag in my plan. My machine shop can bore the housing for the wheel no problem. But there's a rounded radius where the exducer slides into the housing. It has to match the radius on the turbine where the diameter steps down from the inducer to the exducer. They have no way to match this radius they say. So they can't make the wheel fit. Here's the radius in the housing.
2013-11-02_11-25-28_573_zps3b939bfd.jpg

And here's the step down area on the turbine it has to match.
2013-11-02_11-26-04_729_zps13b4fae9.jpg

I'm gonna try another shop Monday and see what they have to say. I was bummed to say the least.

As for the questions that have been asked.
I'm leaving the compressor totally stock.
And I'm leaving the inducer part of the housing stock also. The part that I measured and posted is the section that the center cartridge slides into. The turbine goes inside farther and the housing opens up more on the inside, so there's actually plenty of room. That was just to show that the 76 inducer will slide in with no machining.

Back