Super He351 in "slow" progress

The wheel I was looking at said it was a Holset part and had a holset part # listed, but I couldn't find a measurement for tip height. BAE however does list tip height on their version of both the 6 and 7 blade compressors. 7 blade is listed as 5mm, and 6 blade says 6mm. Would it even fit in the factory housing if it is indeed taller? And I'm assuming taller tip moves more air? I'm still trying to learn the finer points of turbos so please bear with me.

Who is machining the housing for you? Where did you buy the turbine wheel? I would stick with the stock configuration compressor wheel also. Seven blade is probably the best. Take pics. I am in the process of collecting he351s also. Soon as I get three, I want to send them all off for work.

I'm having a shop here in town do the machining on mine. You might laugh but I found the turbine on ebay. Genuine holset part. And it sounds like you're building the same thing I have planned. I was thinking I'd probably run the 64/76 turbine on the manifold, with maybe the 60/70 on the two primaries. With two 1 inch gates I figure that'll flow plenty and keep primary spool pretty much instant. I'm only shooting for maybe 700hp, mostly want triples just to be different.

I'm having a shop here in town do the machining on mine. You might laugh but I found the turbine on ebay. Genuine holset part. And it sounds like you're building the same thing I have planned. I was thinking I'd probably run the 64/76 turbine on the manifold, with maybe the 60/70 on the two primaries. With two 1 inch gates I figure that'll flow plenty and keep primary spool pretty much instant. I'm only shooting for maybe 700hp, mostly want triples just to be different.

Yep, sounds like it. I found the wheels on ebay, surprisingly cheaper than I thought. It's just finding the he351 for a decent price. People want an arm and leg for those even with chewed up wheels. I'm in no hurry though, already have a ton of other projects to finish first lol.

Agreed man. I've been casually searching for a couple and it amazes me what people are asking for them. Even more amazing is that they seem to be getting it a lot of the time.

17cumminsboy, did MrT$ end up doing all the machining for you, or did you still send the housing to fleece? Is there anyway you could consolidate all the steps that needs done for dummies like me? Maybe part numbers?? I would like to make my 351cw into a cheetah too, but got confused with all the housings, turbine wheel from the 351 or the 40, ect. I'm pretty turbo retarded.

My dad's was about $900 for full balanced rebuild, new turbine wheel, and machined housing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holset-Turbine-Wheel-Shaft-H1E-HX40-HX40W-Ind-76-00mm-Exd-64-00mm-/161119418144?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2583773720&vxp=mtr
Is this the right one?? If so, I'll order it along with a rebuilt kit. My 351 is on its way!! Needs new bearings though. If I don't get this done before its installed, I very well may never get around to doing it. Is noone concerned with all the snapped shafts I know everyone has heard so much about? Or is the "SUPER" hx40 remedy this with an increased shaft diameter?? And just for clairification, the billet Super 40 comp wheel OP installed was the exact same as the origional 351 he took off, just billet?

Last edited:
And speaking of shafts. If the compressor wheel is the same on the 40 as on the 351, then the turbines must have the same shafts too?? I've very concerned about snapping a shaft. I chop the throttle quite a bit when I shift. If the 351 for some reason has a stronger shaft, Would I be better off just getting the 351 upgrade, either the 70-60 previously mentioned, or BAE has a 70-64. Maybe ebay does too, havnt checked yet. Would it be a noticable differance only going 70-64 instead of 76-64?

I didn't think there was room for a 76x64 wheel in the HE351 housing, but I could be mistaken.

I know 64mm on the exducer is getting pretty big, and close to the WG.

I didn't think there was room for a 76x64 wheel in the HE351 housing, but I could be mistaken.

I know 64mm on the exducer is getting pretty big, and close to the WG.

I thought you stated on page 5 that your dad did a 70-60 but you heard you could do a 70-64? I also thought thats what 17cumminsboy stated he was doing from the beginning of the thread, was a super 40 turbine 76-64? I also thought the last page and a half , from 5 to 6, was nc firefighter talking about just having ordered a 64-76 for his 351. I'm not trying to be wise, I'm just more confused now. I've read this thread 7 plus times, and I was just starting to believe I understood everything now (inducer, exducer, turbine wheel, compressor wheel, ect.) Your starting to make me believe I'm back at square one? One thing I really don't understand,
1) is why he used a he341 turbo center section when he stated he had a 351??
2) why he machined a hy35 cover when he was ready to use the he351??

Finally got some time to post a pic of the exhaust housing.
1350780033.jpg

I think i turned out really nice.

Had some trouble with the shipping of the Compressor wheel and housing, but it finally got th Mr.T$ So hopefully he gets it done fast.

one thing is for sure, its extreemly close to the wastegate.

I thought you stated on page 5 that your dad did a 70-60 but you heard you could do a 70-64? I also thought thats what 17cumminsboy stated he was doing from the beginning of the thread, was a super 40 turbine 76-64? I also thought the last page and a half , from 5 to 6, was nc firefighter talking about just having ordered a 64-76 for his 351. I'm not trying to be wise, I'm just more confused now. I've read this thread 7 plus times, and I was just starting to believe I understood everything now (inducer, exducer, turbine wheel, compressor wheel, ect.) Your starting to make me believe I'm back at square one? One thing I really don't understand,
1) is why he used a he341 turbo center section when he stated he had a 351??
2) why he machined a hy35 cover when he was ready to use the he351??

Someone please chime in, am I completely off track, or am I beginning to understand this turbo lingo??

I ordered the 10 blade 76/64 hx40 turbine, although I don't have it in hand yet. That is what the OP used in his. But after taking my 351 apart last night and measuring some things I'm completely confident the 76 inducer will fit with no machining, just like cumminsboy17 said. It'll be very tight, but it will fit. The exducer will need to be machined out and will also be very tight, but again it worked for the OP, so I'm sure it will indeed fit.

By the way cummins12valve, give people a chance to answer dude. It's mid-day on Sunday, not everybody is just chillin at home playing on the interwebs.

Last edited:
Any updates from the OP? Really wondering how this is working or if the truck is still down?
I got an extra stock input if that will get the truck up on the road

I ordered the 10 blade 76/64 hx40 turbine, although I don't have it in hand yet. That is what the OP used in his. But after taking my 351 apart last night and measuring some things I'm completely confident the 76 inducer will fit with no machining, just like cumminsboy17 said. It'll be very tight, but it will fit. The exducer will need to be machined out and will also be very tight, but again it worked for the OP, so I'm sure it will indeed fit.

By the way cummins12valve, give people a chance to answer dude. It's mid-day on Sunday, not everybody is just chillin at home playing on the interwebs.

My apoligies. I didn't mean to spam. Its not my impatience, Its just that I forget a point or question to ask before submitting my post. Mostly due to my ignorance in this area. And as far as the asking someone to chime in, I meant to just add it to my previous post, and apparantly, I quoted myself instead. Sorry guys.

No big deal man, I just meant that posting every 3 minutes won't get you an answer any faster, and that kind of thing gets on some peoples nerves. Overall though as long as you ask intelligent questions (which you are) the people on here are very helpful, sometimes it just takes a little while.

Sorry for no update guys, been busy with farm work. I got the truck back together and been driving it some. As compared to the hx52 i had on, its awesome!!! WHen i put it on, i didnt change anything but the turbo. No fuel adjustments or nothing. It cleans up the fuel im giving it, but it gets hot. Now hot to me is 1200-1300*. I now that isnt really hot HOT, but with the hx52 i could hardly hit 1000* The drive pressure at around 20 psi on down is almost 1 to 1. But after that on up to 40 psi its 1.5 to 1. So not to dang bad. It tows so much nicer than the hx52 did also, but like i said before it gets hot.

I have started to mock-up a set of twins now to see if i can keep it cooler. Im going to go with a 71mm inducer He551w. But who knows when i will get to finishing them. lol lots of work to do this time of year on the farm.

Back