Super Stock rules 2012 Suggestions

3rd gens must be heavy. My 98 3500 exlb duallyD80 with 4 35's and 1100lbs on the nose is 8k with me in it. Full interior, all safty loops and 11 leaf springs per rear side. It shouldnt be to difficult to get a late model short chassis truck to make wieght and still be streetable IMO

3rd gens must be heavy. My 98 3500 exlb duallyD80 with 4 35's and 1100lbs on the nose is 8k with me in it. Full interior, all safty loops and 11 leaf springs per rear side. It shouldnt be to difficult to get a late model short chassis truck to make wieght and still be streetable IMO

I think a lot of guys are wanting to start out with a mega cab to go racing. I say if you want to run for big money ($50k), pick a vehicle thats suited to racing. Picking the heaviest vehicle on the road and then complaining that every other truck is too light just doesn't make sense.

You guys bring up some good points to keep it @ 6000 pounds.

Yet, at the same time, the reality we have to deal with is that the new(er) trucks are too heavy from the factory to get them down to 6K with a reasonable effort. OK, it is my understanding that the D-Max's are lighter from the factory than the Ram. Even more so,GM has already announced that their trucks will loose something in the 800 pounds range in the close future.

I have no clue how heavy the Ford's are.

Next thing to consider is that it is way easier to add weight to the already lighter trucks. In all I don't think it would be unfair towards anybody if the weight was to be raised to 6.5K.

The rules should be able to look towards what the future brings, not what the past was. The only "future" that we know for sure for now is that the 3rd gen is already difficult to get down to 6K, the 2010's + trucks are almost impossible to get there.

Again, my 0.2 cents.

Marco

Super Stock rules

Marco, Thanks again for everything you have done for this class!!! I just don't see many newer trucks being built for this class. It's like any other form of motorsports, you need to build to the rules not change the rules for a few. I would bet there were more trucks with weight in them or close to min weight than there was heavy trucks. Now there were some heavy street trucks that were there to just have a good time and that is great. I would also bet that there not going to race the class. I will run the class no matter what the rules are for weight but I like the idea of no nitrous and the 6K weight. I see this as a whole lot less carnage and I just can not afford to break my truck every weekend like I did before this class. Jeff

The way I look at it is by NHRA rules. To be nhra legal you can only balast 500 lbs of removable weight right? Well if we take some of the lighter trucks that have to add 1000 lbs they are not legal. And next point, when the trucks add the removable weight how do most people do it? Tractor weights or something along those lines BOLTED in. Say if one of these trucks was to wreck. How safe is it to have that much weight being thrown around at over 120 mph that is only bolted in? Where as the trucks that want to race in the class can lose some weight and not have the bolted in weight it will be weight that is secured. Just a thought

I think it is awesome that Aron won with his crew cab truck, but really guys if someone wants to start with a heavy truck like a crew cab or something even bigger and can build it to win that is cool. But guys who start with better suited standard cab trucks shouldn't be penalized...

The winner of the first race was over the minimum limit, but that does not mean that the limit needs to be raised, it just means that guys with a heavy truck went out and kicked everyone elses butts through hard work and determination!!!!

I say leave the rules alone and let people continue to build their race vehicles to the class and let the class continue to grow... The heavy drivers and trucks can continue to diet between races... hahaha

I think it is awesome that Aron won with his crew cab truck, but really guys if someone wants to start with a heavy truck like a crew cab or something even bigger and can build it to win that is cool. But guys who start with better suited standard cab trucks shouldn't be penalized...

The winner of the first race was over the minimum limit, but that does not mean that the limit needs to be raised, it just means that guys with a heavy truck went out and kicked everyone elses butts through hard work and determination!!!!

I say leave the rules alone and let people continue to build their race vehicles to the class and let the class continue to grow... The heavy drivers and trucks can continue to diet between races... hahaha

You said penal....

I still don't understand why you are posting in these threads? :confused::doh:

You have absolutly no dog in the hunt:what:

The way I look at it is by NHRA rules. To be nhra legal you can only balast 500 lbs of removable weight right? Well if we take some of the lighter trucks that have to add 1000 lbs they are not legal. And next point, when the trucks add the removable weight how do most people do it? Tractor weights or something along those lines BOLTED in. Say if one of these trucks was to wreck. How safe is it to have that much weight being thrown around at over 120 mph that is only bolted in? Where as the trucks that want to race in the class can lose some weight and not have the bolted in weight it will be weight that is secured. Just a thought

VERY good point! Please see the rules below. I bolded some key points. From a quick glance the only class allowed more than 100 lbs of removable ballast is Top Alcohol Dragster, which is allowed 250 lbs.

4:2 BALLAST
As permitted in Class Requirements. Any material used for the
purpose of adding to a car’s total weight must be permanently
attached to the car’s structure and must not extend in front of or
behind the rear of the car’s body or above the rear tires. No liquid or
loose ballast permitted (i.e., water, sandbags, rocks, shot bags,
metal weights, etc.). Discovery of loose or disguised ballast will
result in disqualification from the event, regardless of whether
infraction occurs during qualifying or eliminations. Additional
penalties may be imposed in the sole and absolute discretion of
NHRA. Weight boxes (two maximum) made of 1/8-inch material may
be constructed to hold small items such as shot bags, lead bars,
etc., as long as box and contents do not weigh more than 100
pounds or as outlined in Class Requirements. The box must be
securely fastened to the frame or crossmember with at least two 1/2-
inch-diameter steel bolts. Any liquid other than engine fuel being
used, located behind the front firewall (on a front-engine car), is
considered ballast and is prohibited, except for intercooler tanks that
contain water and/or ice only. Tank must be securely mounted to
frame, frame member, or OEM floorpan. To permit “making a class”
due to a difference in scale calibration, a maximum removable
weight of 100 pounds (or as outlined in Class Requirements)
is
permitted. Removable weight must be securely mounted to the
frame or frame structure by a minimum of two 1/2-inch-diameter
steel bolts per 100 pounds, or one 3/8-inch steel bolt per 5 pounds;
all other weight bars, pucks, etc. must use minimum 1/2-inchdiameter
SAE grade 8 bolts for attachment. Hose clamps, wire,
strapping, tape, tie wraps, etc. for securing weight or ballast
prohibited. Acceptable forms of ballast are 1) Heavier gauge steel
floors (i.e., 16- or 18-gauge, heavier gauge and/or plate steel
prohibited); 2) Frame reinforcing cross members; or 3) the addition
of protective equipment such as roll bars, flywheel shield, etc. If
additional ballast is needed and is permitted by Class
Requirements, it must be permanently attached to frame, bolted with
two 1/2-inch-diameter bolts per 100 pounds, with nuts welded to
bolts
. Maximum amount of removable and/or permanent ballast,
unless otherwise stated under Class Requirements, is 500 pounds.
Cars running 8.49 and quicker are limited to 250 pounds maximum,
per SFI chassis specification.

Last edited:
I still don't understand why you are posting in these threads? :confused::doh:

You have absolutly no dog in the hunt:what:

The thread was asking for rule suggestions for 2012... It did not ask for ONLY the few drivers who competed in the original to post... it simply asked for rule suggestions...

And, I do have a dog in the fight of sorts, I want to see good races and so do many other people. I consider both Jeff and Gary to be good friends and I want the best for them and the new race group that they created. If you think that the media shouldn't be involved in the sport you are even more delusional than it seems.

I don't know why you insist on trying to start something with me every chance you get... but whatever. Oh, and byt the way... what exactly did your post do to help this thread??? That's right nothing!!!

And, I do have a dog in the fight of sorts, I want to see good races and so do many other people. I consider both Jeff and Gary to be good friends and I want the best for them and the new race group that they created. If you think that the media shouldn't be involved in the sport you are even more delusional than it seems.

You are a douche bag!!

Dog in the hunt?? Hanging carrots in front of people that "I might be able to help get you in a mag." in order to get them to do things for you is not a dog but rather a weasel:doh:

Thinking you have some kind of valuable input on rules of racing because you take some pictures is a friken joke. Besides, I wouldn't consider a "Freelance Editor and Photographer" the real "Media" anyway:poke: It's more like your not quite good enough to get a real fulltime job with a "mag" so you pretend like you belong when they throw some crumbs your way.:what:

You are a douche bag!!

Dog in the hunt?? Hanging carrots in front of people that "I might be able to help get you in a mag." in order to get them to do things for you is not a dog but rather a weasel:doh:

Thinking you have some kind of valuable input on rules of racing because you take some pictures is a friken joke. Besides, I wouldn't consider a "Freelance Editor and Photographer" the real "Media" anyway:poke: It's more like your not quite good enough to get a real fulltime job with a "mag" so you pretend like you belong when they throw some crumbs your way.:what:

I have not dangled carrots to get people to do things for me... I have worked with many shops, manufacturers, event promoters and individuals over my nearly 20 years of media experience!!! All of them have been VERY happy with the results!:rockwoot:

Thinking that you are the end all, be all to the internet and diesel motorsports is the real joke! I guess you have already had all the exposure that you ever want, and that is fine, but most people like getting their hard work into a magazine! They don't care if it is the first time or the 50th time they still appreciate the hard work that editors and photographers do for them (freelance or not). And, yes as someone who is trackside for a lot of events and stays there to the end watching nearly every run sometimes well into the early hours of the next morning... yes I think I have some valuable input and perspective on rules of racing and helping things to grow... do you??? Do you even care about anything or anyone but yourself??? I personally really like diesel motorsports and would like to see it continue to grow and do everything I can to help it grow... What do you do to help grow the sport??? 'Cause, ripping on a "freelance" media guy every chance you get sure doesn't cout does it?!?!?!?! Come on, lets hear how you personally have helped the industry grow and get nationwide exposure!!!LOL

As to you questioning my credentials... let's see yours!!! I have been writing and shooting professionally for nearly 20 years and have been published in a wide variety of magazines. In the five 2011 issues of Diesel World that have been printed so far this year I have had 19 articles published with around 105 pages... hardly crumbs, huh!!!:rockwoot: Now exactly how much editorial coverage have you had in that same amount of time???LOL I also write and shoot for other magazines as well, covering more than just diesel motorsports.

Even my 19 year old son Kyle has had two articles that he has written published in magazines and he has had a countless number of photos published... again what have you done???:what:

I was also a staff editor for many magazines and have been entrusted by manufacturers such as BMW, Ford, Chevrolet, Goodyear and Dunlop to test and drive their vehicles as a member of the media even though I am currently freelance. The previous publisher I worked for, Buckaroo Comunications, had 13 different magazine titles and I worked on and wrote for most of them. The owner was a looser and made several poor money choices and ran the company into the ground, that is what left me freelance... and again how many publishers or major manufacturers have you worked for or with??? I don't think Dockboy Diesel counts either!!!LOL

So, call me all the names that you'd like... (Also, notice that I use my real name and don't hide behind some goofy nickname.) I'll still get my work done and freelance or not keep writing articles and shooting photos to keep food on the table and a roof over head for my family... but maybe you are one of those guys that thinks I should just sit back and milk the welfare system rather than work my butt off to make ends meet...

I think I do a darn good job of covering events, feature trucks and tech articles, but if you don't like it I guess I should just quit and stay home shouldn't I??? Sorry, that's not gonna happen, I'll keep working and many people will continue to enjoy my efforts, despite your efforts to the contrary.

I have not dangled carrots to get people to do things for me... I have worked with many shops, manufacturers, event promoters and individuals over my nearly 20 years of media experience!!! All of them have been VERY happy with the results!:rockwoot:

Thinking that you are the end all, be all to the internet and diesel motorsports is the real joke! I guess you have already had all the exposure that you ever want, and that is fine, but most people like getting their hard work into a magazine! They don't care if it is the first time or the 50th time they still appreciate the hard work that editors and photographers do for them (freelance or not). And, yes as someone who is trackside for a lot of events and stays there to the end watching nearly every run sometimes well into the early hours of the next morning... yes I think I have some valuable input and perspective on rules of racing and helping things to grow... do you??? Do you even care about anything or anyone but yourself??? I personally really like diesel motorsports and would like to see it continue to grow and do everything I can to help it grow... What do you do to help grow the sport??? 'Cause, ripping on a "freelance" media guy every chance you get sure doesn't cout does it?!?!?!?! Come on, lets hear how you personally have helped the industry grow and get nationwide exposure!!!LOL

As to you questioning my credentials... let's see yours!!! I have been writing and shooting professionally for nearly 20 years and have been published in a wide variety of magazines. In the five 2011 issues of Diesel World that have been printed so far this year I have had 19 articles published with around 105 pages... hardly crumbs, huh!!!:rockwoot: Now exactly how much editorial coverage have you had in that same amount of time???LOL I also write and shoot for other magazines as well, covering more than just diesel motorsports.

Even my 19 year old son Kyle has had two articles that he has written published in magazines and he has had a countless number of photos published... again what have you done???:what:

I was also a staff editor for many magazines and have been entrusted by manufacturers such as BMW, Ford, Chevrolet, Goodyear and Dunlop to test and drive their vehicles as a member of the media even though I am currently freelance. The previous publisher I worked for, Buckaroo Comunications, had 13 different magazine titles and I worked on and wrote for most of them. The owner was a looser and made several poor money choices and ran the company into the ground, that is what left me freelance... and again how many publishers or major manufacturers have you worked for or with??? I don't think Dockboy Diesel counts either!!!LOL

So, call me all the names that you'd like... (Also, notice that I use my real name and don't hide behind some goofy nickname.) I'll still get my work done and freelance or not keep writing articles and shooting photos to keep food on the table and a roof over head for my family... but maybe you are one of those guys that thinks I should just sit back and milk the welfare system rather than work my butt off to make ends meet...

I think I do a darn good job of covering events, feature trucks and tech articles, but if you don't like it I guess I should just quit and stay home shouldn't I??? Sorry, that's not gonna happen, I'll keep working and many people will continue to enjoy my efforts, despite your efforts to the contrary.
You are an AssHat!

I know way more about how you operate than you think:poke:

It must have been tough typing that resume/post with one hand while you jerked yourself off to it with the other.:doh:

What have I done for diesel motorsports?... I RACE thats what!!! And along the way spent hundreds of thousands of dollars of my own money doing so.

By the way...guess what numbnuts...I happen to be in the latest issue of Diesel World. I didn't have to beg you, give you a ride, promise you favors or special treatment, give you merchandise, or even ask to be in it...I just showed up and raced like I always do:what:

You are an AssHat!

I know way more about how you operate than you think:poke:

It must have been tough typing that resume/post with one hand while you jerked yourself off to it with the other.:doh:

What have I done for diesel motorsports?... I RACE thats what!!! And along the way spent hundreds of thousands of dollars of my own money doing so.

By the way...guess what numbnuts...I happen to be in the latest issue of Diesel World. I didn't have to beg you, give you a ride, promise you favors or special treatment, give you merchandise, or even ask to be in it...I just showed up and raced like I always do:what:

WOW, you are real good at that name calling stuff, you must be so proud of yourself!!!!:rockwoot:

How I operate???:what:

Sorry, but that might be something you do while on the computer, not me!!!

Keep racing, and try to have fun, then maybe you won't take yourself so seriously! Try doing something good for the sport not just dockboy inc.!

That's good that you made the issue, I imagine that a photographer was there to shoot the photo weren't they?!?!?!?! Was it one of my articles or another editors? The race coverage in the latest issue is big rig racing... Do you race a big rig?

No one begs me, gives me rides, promices me favors or special treatment... Manufacturers do give me product at times as well as discounts, that's a perk of being part of the "media"... It is called marketing, good companies know all about it and use it on a regular basis. Sometimes parts and/or labor are used on one of my projects and many times they are done on customer trucks for the particular shop I'm shooting at. I also get a lot of T-shirts... But, unfortunately I have to pay for a lot of stuff too, usually at a discount though...

I shoot photos and write articles for a living, that's what I do... If you have a problem with that, Too Bad!!! I get paid to do it and I will keep doing it. Sometimes I even get some of my expenses covered, but I don't ask special favors or $ for shooting or writing about something or someone... I do have a choice of what I shoot though and if someone is a jerk, I probably won't shoot their stuff. If they are nice I will be much more likely to shoot their stuff even if it isn't as fast or as nice as the jerk's stuff! Anything I do shoot though, I try to get into a magazine as that is how I get paid, by getting articles in the mags...

Again, I still don't know why you have this desire to call me names and such at every chance you get... but if you get some joy out of it, keep it up and have fun at it! I'm a big boy and I can handle it!!!

Your lengthy, self promoting, deceitful responses only prove that I have gotten to youLOL

I bet you didn't realize what you were asking for when you decided to "threaten" me with not pointing your camera my way did you? Merely because I told you to stay out of a discussion where you did not belong :doh: Like I told you before, I could care less if I get in a magazine or not. That is not why I do what I do.

I have received no less than 10 PM's since our little fun started that contradict your last post. I tend to believe them over you. Sadly, you use your camera and part time position to take advantage of people and that puts you in about the same class as dog $hit in my book.

If you are so enthused about promoting the Super Stock class and racing in magazines, why weren't you at the FL race? Oh sorry...I forgot...you couldn't find anyone to pay your travel expenses, hotel room, or cart you around could you?:doh:

Last edited:
Back