Surge on the top end

CR From Hell

Never Satisfied
Didn't make it to the track last night, so I thought I would do some keyboard racing. I swapped to a .90 housing from a 1.0 in an attempt to minimize/end the surge I experience at the top end of the track. I know that surge is hard on bearings, lord knows I don't need to lose another turbo, but my question is does surge effect ET/power while going down the track? In my head I was thinking if I could get rid of the surge, thus keeping constant/more airflow and pressure going to the motor shouldn't I be able to make more power and run faster? My best time thus far is 11.8@116.

Turbo is currently a box BW 475/83/.90 (now) and the setup is as follows:

110# Hamilton Valvesrpings
Extreme Duty Hamilton Pushrods
ARP 625 Head Studs
100% Exergy's
Dual Stock CP3's
FASS Titanium 200
Stainless T4 Manifold
Smarty TNT-R
Caltrac's
QA1s in the rear
Front/Rear Driveshaft Loops
Goerend Tranny (built by Ashley Black)

What boost are you at when the surge happens?

Usually ~50 PSI. Once it hits overdrive it surges until about 2300-2400 RMPs. The boost gauge jumps from 40-50 PSI until that point.

Need to loosen turbine AR or go to a smaller inducer if you want to get rid of the surge.

I swapped to the .90 and did a few WOT runs this weekend. Had the boost gauge pegged at 50 PSI and didn't surge a bit that I could tell. But to me that would be "tightening turbine AR". So if I started with a 1.0 AR and it surged by "loosen turbine AR" should I be looking for a 1.10 AR? If you don't mind please explain why that will help, I'm trying to learn as much as possible. And smaller inducer like a S471 or S472mm, or smaller than that like a FMW 467? Thanks!

I blame it on the extreme duty pushrods and drive shaft loops...

are you running a stock intercooler?

:hehe: Gotta be those darn driveshaft loops? And yes it's a stock intercooler from an '06.

What are your shift points? Can you rev it higher?

To be honest I don't know the exact shift points, I know when I race I have the shift limiter off on the Smarty. I believe 1-2 & 2-3 are right around 4,000 RPM, it's the 3-4 that gets me, wanna say it drops to around ~2,300 RPM. Then it takes me about a second to get back on top of the charger. I'll set up my Go Pro this Friday to watch the tach and any other information y'all need.

I could be wrong but the % ratio changes from 2-3 and 3-4 in a 48Re are about the same, so if it only does it on the 3-4, maybe it's shift point related. Plus whatever converter lock strategy there is would come into it as well.

I had thought it could be shift related as well, just wasn't sure? I'll see if I can get more information on the shift points, and I know that the convertor locks in second then pulls like crazy til the end.

whoops...nevermind

45% drops would happen in both gears, so at 4000 you would drop to ~2200 in both cases.

Last edited:
I'm definitely not up to speed on the percentages, but that sounds about right. I'll be sure to pay more attention and get it on film.

Back