Surprising peek inside an ATS 48re...

Mopar1973

I made a thread about an ats stage v 48re a little while ago that I just got around to picking up and disassembling and I was pretty surprised at what I found inside. I have been hearing bad things about ATS and this is NOT an attack nor a pissing contest, just thought you should all see this. I had planned to build this trans and swap it into my 04 when I grenaded the stocker but upon disassembly plans have changed. FYI every stock 48re I've ever been inside or seen has come with 6 pinion STEEL front and rear planetary assemblies and the sun shell has been of the 5-tang washer variant and a 3-strap flex band is used for 2nd gear. This transmission has not been opened since removal from the truck. I FOUND a 727 band, 5 pinion steel front planets and 4 pinion ALUMINUM planets in the rear as well as the 3-tang washer sun shell. It came with a billet accumulator, a valvebody with an ATS machined separator plate (Haven't pulled VB or pump apart yet). Direct clutches got so hot they melted onto the forward drum so I haven't been able to separate those just yet (if at all). This is a Stage 1 trans that cost $3000 without a converter. I bought it as a core at least expecting 6 pinion planets and salvageable hard parts and regardless I got a good deal on it...48re's are hard enough to come by themselves. Again, not angry, just thought you all should see how much you pay for a name...

This is not through first time I've heard this.

The guy that does my transmissions told me exactly what you have said here.

A simple stock 727 rebuild without upgrades.

This makes me feel good though as I know my trans has several upgrades well beyond what ATS does.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

I paid less then half the going rate for a core 48re thats why I bought it.

*6 tang sun shell not 5

It had some upgrades like the accumulator and whatever they do for a shift kit in the vb but thats it...

I guess that should say something as to what a valve body can do alone.

All along the true transmission builders have always said the valve body is where it's at.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Damn. So what happens if you put power through the 4 pinion aluminum over the 6 pinion steel if you can get the clutches to hold?

VB is very important but substituting the planets for sub-par internals leads to a big boom when the rear planets come apart. I've seen the pin that holds the rear planets in place wear into the aluminum and cause side to side play that shortly after lead to a catastrophic failure...4 pinions are less support and the aluminum planets are more prone to failure. I don't know everything and I'm sure someone is going to flip schit but this isn't right...

Wow! I had a chance to buy an ATS trans cheap and I'm glad I decided to take it to Lavon at Firepunk and have it done right. Never heard good things about ATS and this just furthers my reasoning.

Sent from a Dumb Phone using Tapatalk 2

This. And it's not a valve body with a trans-go kit either.

I'm sure its not...each company has their own special tweaks for the VB myself included that my father showed me however the VB is only part of the overall equation. Just an FYI I have no idea how to upload pics so if someone wants to pm me a phone number and upload the pics for whatever hell is going to ensue I'll more than happily take pics.

Copy the image link from a photobucket account and then paste it to the post.

Copy the image link from a photobucket account and then paste it to the post.

Lazy and working...if the thread explodes I'll make it a point to get them tonight otherwise it'll be tomorrow morning when I have some free time to open up the valve body.

My DTT had some shady things going on in it so its not just ATS. Truth be known, unless you have need to tear them down, you'll never know what's inside one.

I made a thread about an ats stage v 48re a little while ago that I just got around to picking up and disassembling and I was pretty surprised at what I found inside. I have been hearing bad things about ATS and this is NOT an attack nor a pissing contest, just thought you should all see this. I had planned to build this trans and swap it into my 04 when I grenaded the stocker but upon disassembly plans have changed. FYI every stock 48re I've ever been inside or seen has come with 6 pinion STEEL front and rear planetary assemblies and the sun shell has been of the 5-tang washer variant and a 3-strap flex band is used for 2nd gear. This transmission has not been opened since removal from the truck. I FOUND a 727 band, 5 pinion steel front planets and 4 pinion ALUMINUM planets in the rear as well as the 3-tang washer sun shell. It came with a billet accumulator, a valvebody with an ATS machined separator plate (Haven't pulled VB or pump apart yet). Direct clutches got so hot they melted onto the forward drum so I haven't been able to separate those just yet (if at all). This is a Stage 1 trans that cost $3000 without a converter. I bought it as a core at least expecting 6 pinion planets and salvageable hard parts and regardless I got a good deal on it...48re's are hard enough to come by themselves. Again, not angry, just thought you all should see how much you pay for a name...

Did it have the thicker sunshell from the 48, or the thinner one from the 47?

I'm waiting for you to be banned for uncovering fact on such a big advertizer!!!

Not the first such story I've read and been involved in.

I'm waiting for you to be banned for uncovering fact on such a big advertizer!!!

Not the first such story I've read and been involved in.

:umno:ATS is not a sponsor here! I wouldn't ban him for pointing out they sell stuff that isn't what its suppose to be

Last edited:
Back