Swole...Again!

I used the rings that Mahle sent..They had their own ring package. I did not check the ring gaps.

You said , " Hot Hard Run"..... actually as was very lucky that it wasn't a hot hard run... I was only just cruising at 80 +/- and rpm's were somewhere around 2000 or so. RP was probably in the 15K-17K range...

Sorry..I did not go back to read the original thread in the tip split so I mis-stated the facts...:LOL.

Even at 80 or so I would imagine 700-900 on the EGT's.

Now I am really curious about the ring gaps! Not having enough gap on the first or second ring and when they meet can and will wreak havoc.

Last edited:
OOPs!!

Didn't reply to Chris (Sig6)...lol

Chris, I promise not to even come near your 1/2 ton....LOL

Folks are going to start avoiding me like crazy these days.... I'll be All alone walking around the races in 11'... :(

Sorry..I did not go back to read the original thread in the tip split so I mis-stated the facts...:LOL.

Even at 80 or so I would imagine 700-900 on the EGT's.

Now I am really curious about the ring gaps! Not having enough gap on the first or second ring and when they meet can and will wreak havoc.

We will check it for sure this go round..

I guess Eric at Mahle can shed some light on what they should be.. Or anyone else have a clue on a std. size monotherm ??

BTW, I've never had to messure / change ring gaps... How is this accomplished? Esp. the changing part...How / What is used to take material off to widen the gap a bit, if it's too tight?

We will check it for sure this go round..

I guess Eric at Mahle can shed some light on what they should be.. Or anyone else have a clue on a std. size monotherm ??

BTW, I've never had to messure / change ring gaps... How is this accomplished? Esp. the changing part...How / What is used to take material off to widen the gap a bit, if it's too tight?

You take the rings and put them in the cylinder without a piston, use a feeler gauge to check the tolerance between the ends. If they need to be adjusted you use a file on the ends to spec.

Like so... and this pic, is just a google pic,those are not cummins specs.

ringgap2.jpg

Last edited:
Mahle can get it close with PTW clearance specs, but to get it perfect and know its right, you need the block/cylinder they are going in.

You take the rings and put them in the cylinder without a piston, use a feeler gauge to check the tolerance between the ends. If they need to be adjusted you use a file on the ends to spec.

Like so... and this pic, is just a google pic,those are not cummins specs.

ringgap2.jpg

Awesome! Thanks!

Those numbers in the pic are the absolute for recommendations on what I should use?

Mahle can get it close with PTW clearance specs, but to get it perfect and know its right, you need the block/cylinder they are going in.

True... But given the messurments I gave him, he seemed to think I'd be okay.. If anything, PTW was a bit larger than they wanted... Eric thinks with Monotherms they could go as tight at 2-3 PTW...

David,

Man, I am buying the beer when I get back. I swear some girl out there saw you loved that truck more than her and put a Hex on it. Hope this ends well bro!

Brian

David,

Man, I am buying the beer when I get back. I swear some girl out there saw you loved that truck more than her and put a Hex on it. Hope this ends well bro!

Brian

You have NO Clue how true this statment could actually be!! lol

I've heard, " You Always put the Truck before me! " more times that I ever care to Ever again!!

Even thought this is not true... I tried to compromise as much as possible and still try to fix it everytime it goes down..

Hope to see you home safe soon man!! God Bless !

Awesome! Thanks!

Those numbers in the pic are the absolute for recommendations on what I should use?

True... But given the messurments I gave him, he seemed to think I'd be okay.. If anything, PTW was a bit larger than they wanted... Eric thinks with Monotherms they could go as tight at 2-3 PTW...

No, that is just a google pic I found. I would get your specs from Mahle.

I agree with Silverback. I bet there is some wicken chick out there with a little silver toy truck, and she smashes it every once in a while. LOL

No, that is just a google pic I found. I would get your specs from Mahle.

I agree with Silverback. I bet there is some wicken chick out there with a little silver toy truck, and she smashes it every once in a while. LOL

Then she needs found and destroyed because Ive had my fair share of silver crewcab issues as well!

Not that you want to hear it again, fix it and get rid of it. 3 times with dads 06 was more then enough and since its gone its alot of weight off his shoulders that is a fact. Im sure not going to say get a duramax or a 12v but anything is better then what you have going on. Best of luck to you bro and becareful out there.

It's obvious that it isn't working. His tips haven't been helping you one bit. If it's you or not. It's time to get it out of Georgia and try someone else. If not then get rid of it.

It's obvious that it isn't working. His tips haven't been helping you one bit. If it's you or not. It's time to get it out of Georgia and try someone else. If not then get rid of it.

This is the dumbest $hit I have ever heard......

There are about 47 different companies parts in this build, and advice coming from at least that many directions. And, since you have absolutely ZERO first hand knowledge other than what you have read on the internet, you have no real basis to make said conclusion. When you have a resume like he has, call us back.... then you can talk.

Back