"The 2.6 right now is 3.0 undercover."

IN ITPA has been doing that for quite some time! I think its 9 or 9.5" ......So it fits a s400 frame. But that has also been in conjunction with a 4500 RPM limit, which no one liked and was just put in there because they Pres. Pulled a D-Max and couldnt turn the RPM the Cummins guys could and was getting beat.

I have no dog in this fight because I dont think Ill ever Pull 2.6 again, because it changes every year and i dont have the poclets to keep up.

Yes, comp wheels can work, but Im sure at every pull you go to, techs are going to be pulling 5-6 covers a night because someone got beat by a better truck and didnt have the sportmansship to man up and say they got beat fair and square............

Why not take a specific turbo and get a company to sponsor the class and make everyone buy the same turbo from them! Seal them up put tags and markins on them all in the same place if they dont have that turbo and all the seals and markins there out!

If you check around, a $2000 turbo is nothing as far as cost in a competitive truck. Most of the top trucks have more than 2-3 times that in just the headwork on the truck.
It still comes back to those with the most money will have the biggest advantage.

Before you trash someone with money, and assume it was luck, you might want to know the background of that person.

Perhaps that person never owned a car until they were a junior in college, and spent 4 years studying(not partying) at a school worked while in college, then spent the next 5 years repaying student loans. Then further more spent the next 5 years busting tail working every bit of OT they could getting calls in the middle of the night that were for work. They might even continue to drive a salvage title car with 188,000 miles on it.
Just sayin'...

I dont need to check around Dan, I know what it takes and how much it cost. I dont care if you spend 2 or 20 thousand on a turbo. My main gripe is if i can have the same turbo as a custom 2k plus turbo for 700$, then whats wrong with that. So far all we are getting is "I can afford a custom 3.0 charger but if you cant then take your ass back to the brush pulls" Im sorry but that dont sit well with me. It has allready been determined that 2.6 is a dedicated puller class with no street ties so why the comp cover limit anyway. Money will allways win right? So why are people getting upset that guys want to go the cheap route with a stock charger and bushings? Custom covers make more power anyway right?

I dont want the class to change, I just want to take the mystery out of the turbo and call it what it is. 3.0 stock driveline. This way guys that have money can spend the big dollars on custom built parts and us broke loosers can throw some junk together that will still compete.:Cheer:

Why not use a comp housing diameter rule? Say 7" (just a number to use not saying it a good number) in diameter measured from point (A) to point (B) if it is bigger then 7" then its illegal but keep the inducer at 2.6. You can stuff a 110mm exducer wheel in it but at some point its going to fall on its face because the housing wont flow what the wheel can. They have a Pro Farm class around here that does it and it works well. They also have a exh housing height rule that limits the the housing measured from the foot to the farthest point of the exh housing but not the wheel but once again the big wheels in the small housings wont work when paired with the comp housing limit, very easy to tech all you need is a tape measure,$.02

I said this b4 , IMO its the best bet and with more than 1/8 protrusion and very simple to check housing diameter

BTW on step covers HP theres over 100 loss from 2.6 step to S475 stock

Lubeowner is that a PI turbo?

Why not take a specific turbo and get a company to sponsor the class and make everyone buy the same turbo from them! Seal them up put tags and markins on them all in the same place if they dont have that turbo and all the seals and markins there out!

I said this a while ago. You could buy a turbo from any vendor by telling them you want a 2.6 class charger. It will be certified by the shop that it meets rules with a seal tag. This would make tech easy to see. Also guys that allready have turbos could just get theirs certified and not have to buy another one. Randomly tech trucks from the pack and if a turbo were to not pass, then that puller and certifiying shop would be banned from pulling for two years. That will keep the shops honest even if a guy calls up and says hey i want this big turbo. He would be dragging the shop down with them. And with that kind of reputation on the line, i doubt they would accept that.

I dont need to check around Dan, I know what it takes and how much it cost. I dont care if you spend 2 or 20 thousand on a turbo. My main gripe is if i can have the same turbo as a custom 2k plus turbo for 700$, then whats wrong with that. So far all we are getting is "I can afford a custom 3.0 charger but if you cant then take your ass back to the brush pulls" Im sorry but that dont sit well with me. It has allready been determined that 2.6 is a dedicated puller class with no street ties so why the comp cover limit anyway. Money will allways win right? So why are people getting upset that guys want to go the cheap route with a stock charger and bushings? Custom covers make more power anyway right?

I dont want the class to change, I just want to take the mystery out of the turbo and call it what it is. 3.0 stock driveline. This way guys that have money can spend the big dollars on custom built parts and us broke loosers can throw some junk together that will still compete.:Cheer:

If you have a good running 3.0 truck, it will not survive the factory driveline period. You will be eating ring and pinions.

The issue that alot of folks have complained about is the guys that have a 3.0 charger, and stick a bushing in and go run a 2.6 class, or a 2.8 truck and drop down to a 2.6 when a big pull comes up. If you require wheel protrusion it will limit that somewhat.

Your post appeared to hint that the folks who through money at their trucks had everything given to them. I didn't mean to insinuate that you didn't know what needed done. Just that if you think given two equal individuals pulling talent, the one with the most money is gonna win most of the time. Just the way it is.

Last edited:
I said this a while ago. You could buy a turbo from any vendor by telling them you want a 2.6 class charger. It will be certified by the shop that it meets rules with a seal tag. This would make tech easy to see. Also guys that allready have turbos could just get theirs certified and not have to buy another one. Randomly tech trucks from the pack and if a turbo were to not pass, then that puller and certifiying shop would be banned from pulling for two years. That will keep the shops honest even if a guy calls up and says hey i want this big turbo. He would be dragging the shop down with them. And with that kind of reputation on the line, i doubt they would accept that.

Buying that spec turbo will probably make the gap even worse. It then comes down to the guy who spends the most money on porting, cam work, pump work, injectors, and dyno time. I think building a custom turbo would be much cheaper than that.

Dan if you choke the charger down to something off the shelf there comes a point where all the porting and cam you can stuff in it is useless.

If you have a good running 3.0 truck, it will not survive the factory driveline period. You will be eating ring and pinions.

The issue that alot of folks have complained about is the guys that have a 3.0 charger, and stick a bushing in and go run a 2.6 class, or a 2.8 truck and drop down to a 2.6 when a big pull comes up. If you require wheel protrusion it will limit that somewhat.

Your post appeared to hint that the folks who through money at their trucks had everything given to them. I didn't mean to insinuate that you didn't know what needed done. Just that if you think given two equal individuals pulling talent, the one with the most money is gonna win most of the time. Just the way it is.

I agree about the ring and pinions. Thats what i mean though. We all run a 3.0 charger but that doesnt mean we actually have a 3.0 truck.

We have all seen guys carry three covers for their s480 turbo. 3.0, 2.8 and 2.6. I know some guys that just swap the center section and comp and leave the turbin housing bolted up. Either one of those can be done at the track pretty easy.

No i dont have a problem with guys that have money. Im deff. envious if anything. But let me try to give them a run for the money by allowing equal turbos. I can be a hot head some times and my mouth will override my ass.:nail:

I like the 2.8 class and thats where i intend to stay with my custom 2.8 charger.

Dan if you choke the charger down to something off the shelf there comes a point where all the porting and cam you can stuff in it is useless.

If you choke it down, that super efficient cam and port work will really work to get every ounce of power out of said charger. It will make more power than the truck that wasn't ported or well cammed. Your back to money, lol.
I feel what you guys are trying to do, I wish I had more money to put in my truck.

We like to talk about money, but in x amount of years as the diesel truck pulling matures, look at the gasser classes. Most of the gasser guys that run in the same local stuff that we have, say the have $20K or more in their engines. Pulling isn't cheap!

Dan I know it's not cheap. Why spend $5k on a charger. Either the turbo rules need to be adjusted or say the hell with it and allow a bushing. I personally would rather see an off the shelf spec charger. Make it an S400 based since most people use the any way. Pick a spec to go by and if you have one you can send it in to said company and have it fitted to the rules and sealed. If you don't have one it shouldn't be that expensive to buy.

Dan I know it's not cheap. Why spend $5k on a charger. Either the turbo rules need to be adjusted or say the hell with it and allow a bushing. I personally would rather see an off the shelf spec charger. Make it an S400 based since most people use the any way. Pick a spec to go by and if you have one you can send it in to said company and have it fitted to the rules and sealed. If you don't have one it shouldn't be that expensive to buy.

I am not sure folks are paying $5000 for turbos. I think that might be the extreme case.

I guess we could go to a 3x3 turbo and call it good, bush it down to 2.6. I think we do that you will see alot of the manual guys start complaining cause the auto boys start whooping on them.

i think the 2.6 should go to a s300 style charger nation wide lol and if you want to run a s400 or bigger go up a class where they should be. These 2.6 trucks today are makin as much or more power than the 2.8 around here a couple years ago and every week someone trashes the drivetrain and i think its all got out of hand and has killed the class somewhat to me anyway:soap:

Well we didn't have a loose track tonight, many broken trucks. I still got 2nd out of the 17 that pulled.

I spend more time walking the track to find the best line, and making the truck hook up than I do trying to figure out how to make more power.

Well we didn't have a loose track tonight, many broken trucks. I still got 2nd out of the 17 that pulled.

I spend more time walking the track to find the best line, and making the truck hook up than I do trying to figure out how to make more power.

Come hook up north in IN, MO, IL or OH and see how you fair with a decent truck on a power track. I dont think its going to work out to go for you $.02

Come hook up north in IN, MO, IL or OH and see how you fair with a decent truck on a power track. I dont think its going to work out to go for you $.02

Yes I know I should bow down to all you up in the north.:bow:

Back