The Potential of the 6.7

We have an 08 and an 11 on the farm. IMO the 11 was faster and smother before they put the 400hp 800tq program in it. as far as turbo lag! Its almost a non factor IMO, what truck in stock form doesn't have a delay when mashing the throttle? That's in tuning IMO, every truck Ive ever tuned responded much quicker to throttle input. to the OP if your looking for big numbers right away go 6.4 as aftermarket parts are proven and available. who knows how long before these new trucks get there!! Both are great trucks.

That proves you're incapable of piecing together a rational thought.

If I recall right, you've never owned a 6.4. So it likely you've never even been behind the wheel of one.

Wow... You really are stupid.

I work at a ford dealer, I'm a saleman.. I know all of the techs and talk to them on a regular basis. We have had one 6.7 engine failure in a year... in comparison to having a 6.4 in the shop hydrolocked within the first month of release.

The 6.4 is a terrible engine. The 6.7 has 0 lag, and in tow/haul, there is no delay in shifts and it will light up the tires in the first 3 gears with traction off. That motor is stout. Lots of potential in the design, it will be a good engine.

That proves you're incapable of piecing together a rational thought.

If I recall right, you've never owned a 6.4. So it likely you've never even been behind the wheel of one.

I must have missed this cumdrop's retort.

I have owned 4 6.4's and my DD is a 2009 6.4 with 225k on it already. Unlike you I do not have to base my opinions on a 5 minute test drive at a car show where you managed to convince someone you could actually afford to buy a new truck.

And I just put 500+ miles on my father's brand new 6.7. I concluded you are even stupider than I first thought or you are a flat out liar and have never driven a 6.7 because that truck has no discernible off idle lag.

I must have missed this cumdrop's retort.

I have owned 4 6.4's and my DD is a 2009 6.4 with 225k on it already. Unlike you I do not have to base my opinions on a 5 minute test drive at a car show where you managed to convince someone you could actually afford to buy a new truck.

And I just put 500+ miles on my father's brand new 6.7. I concluded you are even stupider than I first thought or you are a flat out liar and have never driven a 6.7 because that truck has no discernible off idle lag.

That's impressive mileage on that 6.4! Head studs and deletes I assume?

Nope. Bone stock. Fresh factory long block when it ate a piston from a hung injector at 88k. Just trying to prolong it. I would like to make it to a 2nd build of the 6.7 although my dealer is speaking like you and saying it seems to be a stout engine with minimal issues.

This thread is full of funny. Bob you've seen what my 6.4 does so make him get one brah! 6.7 trucks are still in the low 14 e.t range but obviously will improve, I've also heard the limit of the turbo being around the 500hp limit.

Nope. Bone stock. Fresh factory long block when it ate a piston from a hung injector at 88k. Just trying to prolong it. I would like to make it to a 2nd build of the 6.7 although my dealer is speaking like you and saying it seems to be a stout engine with minimal issues.

Wow, very impressive. We have all been impressed with the 6.7.. I think the only people worried are our diesel techs lol

This thread is full of funny. Bob you've seen what my 6.4 does so make him get one brah! 6.7 trucks are still in the low 14 e.t range but obviously will improve, I've also heard the limit of the turbo being around the 500hp limit.

I can see that.. It might be a while until a really good aftermarket turbo comes, just because of that design with the dual compressor wheels.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BPSxCtVV6s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BPSxCtVV6s[/ame]

a new dodge over a new ford? surely you jest!

even with the urea the chevy and ford are blowing dodge out of the water.

the way i understand it, the urea allows them to tune them higher from the factory?

Correct. Urea is a bit more hassle, but allows a hotter factory tune.

I do know Jasper has already started remaning them with upgrades.Found problems with it already.Justin,a good friend of mine bought one and not too happy with it.Been in for valve spring replacements 3 times.Transmission problems lately.I out ran him with my 2007 Chevy HD on the drag strip twice.

The 6.7 is not going to put out the power the 6.4 does with just tuning. There just isn't enough airflow there. Probably smart on Ford's part, means they will have to warranty less broken parts because some guy is tuning and hot-rodding the hell out of the truck. A touch over 500hp is probably about the limit.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQS0scAnc8U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQS0scAnc8U[/ame]

I like this one better. This thing hooks and gets :rockwoot:

The weakest link in the 6.7, besides being an all-round poor design, is the extremely small and restrictive turbo.
The 6.4 is the best one to buy.

Oooof.....those rods are a big ol' bag of weak ass.....(The stock ones of course)....

Last edited:
how do you figure its a poor design?
Its a quick and dirty copy of GM's LMK Duramax. They screwed the pooch with International and had to scramble to license or design an engine. Since there are no other light duty V8 diesels in the 300-400hp range that meet emissions and NVH requirements, they threw the Scorpion together overnight (in engineering time).

They did great on the 3.5L EcoBoost, but the 6.7.... :clap:

Back