To Buy or Not To Buy 3rd gen?

theonlyz

professional he** raiser
I have been tossing around the idea of getting a 3rd gen. I really like the idea of having more space and a true 4 door. Also if I get one, it would be a auto because I am sick of how the nv5600 shifts. What is everyones thoughts on the 3rd gen? Or should I just get and rh trans and swap it out.

If I do get one it would be an 03 early 04. With that said what would be the best route? Get a head off an 05+ to avoid dropping a seat or send it off to get worked? What other problems can I look forward to having, since I see a lot of post about 3rd gens melting down and blowing up? Buying an 03-04 I would hope to avoid most problems. Or would I?......

03-04 are ur best bet what kinda pressure plate does ur clutch have ?finger or diaphram?

I have a diaphram type in it right now but, have a brand new dd3600 sintered iron clutch just sitting here from South Bend to take its place.

Thanks,
What problems will have to be dealt with if I decide to buy one or what advise other than lift pump, guages, and trans? What problems is the motor going to have? From what I hear the injection system will be the problem child on these but, I believe that is more 04.5+.

they can all have injector problems... that's about it

if you get a later model with the in-tank lift pump, you don't really have to do much of anything untill you go with aftermarket injectors

I've been running the big Smarty TNT tunes on the factory fuel system for almost 2yrs. No problems making 25kpsi rail pressure

Really.
Just trying to weigh my options. Im either going to finish building this truck and convert it to an auto or start with a 3rd gen auto and build it. My biggest thing is my truck is paid off and nothing is financed.

With a 3rd gen though I would typically take a small loan out and god knows when I could actually pay to build it. On the other hand the family would have more room and I could achieve decent power relitively easily.

i would build on the one that is paid off and if times get tough it can sit in the garage for free

Put a built 48RE in there with a standalone computer a P pump and enjoy reliable power.

Tobin

Yea I am in the very same boat myself I love second gen trucks but need the room. I don't know where your from but I am having difficulties finding a truck that I want here on the East coast (Tri State area). I will say that when I drove my 1st 3rd gen a couple of weeks ago I liked it a lot! But the jury is out until it's making some steam to the tune of at least 500hp or better. So in my opinion the decision should be if you need the room for family and like a more refined ride (less like a truck) or any other reason do not hesitate,that is if you can find one! Or at least the one you are looking for....... I do know of a Flame Red Mega Cab that can be had for a tidy sum down in Texas that I can turn you on too if your interested.......

Yea I am in the very same boat myself I love second gen trucks but need the room. I don't know where your from but I am having difficulties finding a truck that I want here on the East coast (Tri State area). I will say that when I drove my 1st 3rd gen a couple of weeks ago I liked it a lot! But the jury is out until it's making some steam to the tune of at least 500hp or better. So in my opinion the decision should be if you need the room for family and like a more refined ride (less like a truck) or any other reason do not hesitate,that is if you can find one! Or at least the one you are looking for....... I do know of a Flame Red Mega Cab that can be had for a tidy sum down in Texas that I can turn you on too if your interested.......

Ya Ill be actually picking one up in TX so thats a 22-23hr drive for me from western SD. Sorry I dont like red and it has to be black, silver, mineral gray or white an auto short bed. I know im picky.:lolly:

As for the 04.5 thats when they changed the spray angle or something causing a lot of issues with melt down but then again im not sure.:bang I just know to stay away!! Not to mention all 3rd gens have weak rods

Back