tractors for sale??

pyrobee

Everything can go faster!
Does anyone know where I can go to get a good begginer tractor that I can start building or getting into tractor pulling with. I am extremely interested in getting a tractor I do not want to spend a fortune but will take a look at anything!!!!

Depending on what you're looking for, you can buy an old farm tractor and build from there, or try and find something already started;)

Brand preference?
Chris

I do antique tractor pulls with my family. My grandpa has probably close to 50 or so tractors some nothing but a frame and all the way to the completely restored. I know he wants to sell some of the ones that he doesnt need. So if you are looking for an antique we've got lots!

Antique pulling is probably the cheapest class to start out in (unless you're an idiot like me and make it insanely expensive :doh: )

If you're looking for something for the farm stock or lightly modified farm stock, an IH 1066 would probably be the cheapest route to go.

Unlimited farm, I'd start with a 6030 deere and a 619 replacement engine and go from there...(But that's just a personal dream :D )

I am looking to spend less then 300-500 on the tractor and want something that is pretty easy to find parts for sice it will be my first build I am not really sure if that is a reasonable price range???

Good luck....easy to find parts for, usually means the tractor is not cheap to start with...because that's what people will want;)

300-500 will get you something just above scrap, and depending on what condition the engine is in )stuck, free, hosed) you could spend 2 to 3 times that to make it run. Then you figure out if the clutch is good, rear end, etc.

My advice, find something that runs in the $1200-$2000 and start with that...unless you find a deal somewhere, that's as cheap as you can reasonably start out with;)

BTW, we've got 145 antiques in the barn, and I pull about 10 of them from time to time, and over the winter I'll be tweaking about 4 of them to pull next summer:D
Chris

BTW, we've got 145 antiques in the barn, and I pull about 10 of them from time to time, and over the winter I'll be tweaking about 4 of them to pull next summer:D
Chris

145?? wow...Are the all refurbished or lots of junkers? I only pull two tractors of the bunch right now but hey Im moving up slowly. I have a problem though with one of them. Its a Massey Ferguson 88 and its got LOADS of power but its just cant grip. Ive tried raising the draw bar to maybe put more pressure on the tires and make it bite harder but that didnt work either. Im in a lost spot lol! Got any suggestions?

Chris is into Allis-Chalmers...You know, those orange ones that most people will pay you to take off of their hands.....It's pretty easy to stockpile a bunch of them.

:hehe:

Chris is into Allis-Chalmers...You know, those orange ones that most people will pay you to take off of their hands.....It's pretty easy to stockpile a bunch of them.

lol we have quite the mixture but only one allis chalmers and it blows! The cam in it is too large and no one seems to want to take it out or do anything about it so with tires twice the size of the tractor itself it burries itself at about 50 ft. Ive never seen a good AC. Maybe its a Texas thing

lol we have quite the mixture but only one allis chalmers and it blows! The cam in it is too large and no one seems to want to take it out or do anything about it so with tires twice the size of the tractor itself it burries itself at about 50 ft. Ive never seen a good AC. Maybe its a Texas thing

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

I'll send you an icepack for your groin, Chris...LOL LOL LOL :kick::kick:

145?? wow...Are the all refurbished or lots of junkers? I only pull two tractors of the bunch right now but hey Im moving up slowly. I have a problem though with one of them. Its a Massey Ferguson 88 and its got LOADS of power but its just cant grip. Ive tried raising the draw bar to maybe put more pressure on the tires and make it bite harder but that didnt work either. Im in a lost spot lol! Got any suggestions?

About 15 of them we've restored, and about that many more were restored when we got them, or had been restored. It's a whole lot cheaper to buy them restored than it is to do it yourself!

What are you allowed to weigh in your class? What do you weigh? Tried lowering tire pressure? What size tire? Shorten the drawbar?

I pull an AC D17 Diesel High Clear...it's got 14.9-38's while a normal D17 has 14.9-28's:kick:...I'm allowed to weigh 7000lbs, and I weigh about 6880 with me on the seat. I built a new hitch this year that moved the hitch point closer to the rear axle, and also raised it about 4", and added wheelie bars. Finally pulled the front tires off the ground, and carried them about 100' down the track, about 15" off the ground. Never was able to do that before:D

This winter I'm probably gonna pull the head and try and clean out the energy cells for a better burn, and have the pump rebuilt. I don't want to do much because it's a pretty nice tractor, but I wanna get a little closer to the top of the class...6th out of 27 isn't bad for an Orange one, but I'm not making the Green and Red guys sweat much:hehe::hehe:

Yeah, I guess you always make fun of what you're afraid of don't ya:D

We collect anything BTW Scott...mostly oddball stuff like high crops, or hard to find models. Even got a few green ones in the collection...60 Standard with the low seat, AR, D, GP, MT Widefront, 2010 Single Front wheel...used to have a whole set of JD Standards (620, 630, 720, 730 Diesel, R, 80, 820, 830 Factory Cab;)) For some reason Dad thought he should sell them about 10 years ago:(

If you're bored, you can come to our sale next August 8th, and take a few home with ya;) We're gonna clean up some barn space , and weed out what we don't want to keep!

Chris

Hmm, maybe I should have reloaded the page before I posted...no more soup for you:hehe:

BTW, What model?

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

I'll send you an icepack for your groin, Chris...LOL LOL LOL :kick::kick:

Thanks Scott, I appreciate that!

Chris

Regarding the 88 Massey...That should have the same motor the 44 "Special" had, if I'm not mistaken. They do make decent power stock, but can also be modified quite extensively depending on the status of the operator's checkbook.

As far as pulling one goes, in my opinion they're front heavy. Your best option might be weight brackets or rear wheel weights and jumping up another class. That tractor as shipped was quite heavy for the power it had (around 7000lbs) putting you against some pretty stiff competition depending on the rules at your local pull.

Leave it in the shed and bring a green one to the pull is my suggestion..:D

I know...like I said though, freaking Dad sold them when me and my Brother were growing up...now we are wishing we still had them:D

We'll put together another set one day...it's cost a whole lot more this time though!

What's the fun in that?
Chris

What are you allowed to weigh in your class? What do you weigh? Tried lowering tire pressure? What size tire? Shorten the drawbar?

This winter I'm probably gonna pull the head and try and clean out the energy cells for a better burn, and have the pump rebuilt. I don't want to do much because it's a pretty nice tractor, but I wanna get a little closer to the top of the class...6th out of 27 isn't bad for an Orange one, but I'm not making the Green and Red guys sweat much:hehe::hehe:

Chris

I can wiegh up to 8500 lbs. Im 125 and with me on it were pushing 8000. Im not sure what the tire size is but we have lowered the pressure in them a lot. Havent tried shortening the draw bar. It sticks out a pretty good ways. The sled that I usually pull on attaches at a really low point which is why I raised the draw bar as to put more pressure going downward to the tires and that didnt work.

You know maybe you should just paint over that orange and make it red. It seems to give it a little more push:hehe:

I really dont know even what model our AC is. It stays at my Dads, and he does all the work to it. I dont give it much attention.

Regarding the 88 Massey...That should have the same motor the 44 "Special" had, if I'm not mistaken. They do make decent power stock, but can also be modified quite extensively depending on the status of the operator's checkbook.

As far as pulling one goes, in my opinion they're front heavy. Your best option might be weight brackets or rear wheel weights and jumping up another class. That tractor as shipped was quite heavy for the power it had (around 7000lbs) putting you against some pretty stiff competition depending on the rules at your local pull.

Yes it has LOTS of power. Ive pulled in third and it never died down with all the weight it just couldnt grip anymore. No mods have been done to the motor yet. Thats gonna be the next step I guess. We were kinda trying to stay inexpensive. It has only one set of wheel weights as is but we dont have any others that will fit it right now because the money got spent on another old junker instead :doh: Got some on a JD but they wont convert so unless We decide to shell out the cash its just kinda out of luck on that part.

And as for pulling green, :umno: Ill pass. I stick to the red...red tractors....red truck. It just works better that way!

Have you tried not running it wide open? If it's just overpowering the tires, and you're at or near max weight, about the only thing you can do is get more tire;)

Chris

so I have been doing some searching while I am here at work and I am finding tractorhouse.com comes up all the time are there any other good sites? I am looking locally too. let me know when you pull some out chris. where you located at?

Don't waste your time trying to buy a tractor for as cheap as your wanting to pay. It will not pay off. I went cheap on one of my pullers and bought it with a stuck motor. Kicked myself in the butt after I had three times that into it.
I got a good first timer tractor for sale. A 1967 Oliver 1650 diesel that is set up for pulling. Only thing it needs is a set of fenders and a paint job. It was my first tractor for pulling and has placed at every pull it was in.

Back