trans shelled out... again

OK I just checked cooler return flow, trans is cold but got about 3 quarts in 30 seconds idling in neutral. Seems like plenty to me.

Warmed up trans to 150*, still good flow. A bit less in park but still at least 2 quarts in 30 seconds. Good flow idling in gear too.

Still whining, sounds like a hydraulic pump whine. Hear a weird buzzing noise in reverse sometimes.

Hmmm, checked flow out of the line before the coolers, filled up a gallon jug in like 20 seconds. So there is a slight restriction somewhere. I'm gonna bypass the coolers completely and go for a drive and see if anything changes.

Last edited:
I'm not sure on this build but if you have 5 frictions in the rear drum that could cause a loud whine if the 5th friction came off and got behind the annulus gear. I've seen this before many times.

Trans works fine except for the odd noises. Probably gonna pull it again and see what the pump and stuff looks like. This is :bs:

Did you try running stock fluid, just to rule out the thick fluid causing an issue?

Also, how tight do you clamp down the filter? It's possible to over-tighten the filter screws and collapse the filter making it have less flow.

I'm running just plain old Napa brand Dex/Merc. Interesting thought on the filter, I will have to check that out. I don't think its collapsed but...

Ok so I put a gauge on front cooler port on the trans with all my coolers bypassed, about 20-30 psi in neutral, park, in gear with converter unlocked. But when I lock the converter it pegs the 100 psi gauge. Is this how its supposed to be?

So 25ish psi in the cooler line in neutral and TC unlocked, TC locked 150 psi. Free revving in park, increases to 50 psi and the gauge/line starts resonating like crazy. Wtf!

I didn't worked on a 47re for a while but it sounds like you may have 2 possible problems. It definitely shouldn't have that much psi.

The cooler outlet (hot) is flowing too fast or there's a restriction in the cooler inlet (cool).

Also make sure the valve body is tightened on properly and no air leak around the filter/pump inlet.

Did you by chance make-up custom cooler lines or new end fittings and somehow got the inlet and outlet switched? Just a crazy thought that if the flow were switched and factory check ball was still in-tact, it could build crazy pressure and buzzing like you're experiencing.

For the record, the stock outlet is the front port closest to the bell housing, 2nd gear band adjuster, etc which in stock form flows forward and under the motor over to the heat exchanger below the exhaust manifold, then it returns on nearly the same route till it crosses back under the motor and makes a sharp turn to the front of the truck up to the radiator mounted cooler. Then it returns from the front radiator mounted cooler back along the side of the motor and front half of the transmission where it dumps into the return port on the rear driver's side of the transmission where the main case meets the overdrive housing.

I did build new lines with hydraulic hose, but the check ball is long gone. I have 3 coolers in the circuit now; stock heat exchanger and front cooler, and a aftermarket remote mount cooler with fan.

Anyway, when I tested pressure all the coolers were bypassed, just had a short loop of hose going from the front port to the return port on the trans.

Sent from phone

Back