Tried a Jetta

Golfs rock!

4b672e70.jpg

Would have been even more smooth if I weren't shopping for my wifes future car.

the only stipulation was that she doesn't like long drives and this would have been our future commuter.

On the wife's 10' Jetta Wagon, Ive got tons of room and have about 3 more clicks to go back on the seat. Im 6'1''.

FYI, there was a common issue with a spring falling off the VW's seat when they were new.

May want to check an make sure the track is actually going back all the way.

Dude I'm 6'4 and little over 400 and my Wife's 02 had more than enough room for my fluffyness. To bad she totaled it last Wednesday, it was for sale.

Wife found an 03 wagon (turbo gasser) that was tolerable. My knee was into the console while driving. That 07 didn't have the seat back reclined at all. Not knowing how was most of it. After talking to the wife about it, she informed me she didn't want the A5 bodystyle at all anyway. She started shopping but i'm not sure what all she found. She and I have very different idea on our price range.

6"4" @ 415lbs so that sheds some hope.

Just be sure to stick with a manual, the auto cars are nothing but problems waiting to happen.

I really like the 06 TDI Golf.. the power band of the Pd motor vs ALH is night and day. Very smooth. the ALH feels old and more race car like :)

Just be sure to stick with a manual, the auto cars are nothing but problems waiting to happen.

Billy, what about the auto in the newer body style PD cars? How is that 6 speed DSG or whatever they call it auto holding up??? The VW dealer here in Chattanooga has quite a few 2010 TDI Jetta's in stock but only 2 manuals and probably 8 or so autos... I would think I might be able to get a better price onthe auto, would I regret it???

I'll probably still end up getting a used one but who knows...

When/If I get one I will be doing tech articles on the car so I guess I'll need to find a manual trans car... 'Cause I want to make more POWER and make it go FAST!!!

When/If I get one I will be doing tech articles on the car so I guess I'll need to find a manual trans car... 'Cause I want to make more POWER and make it go FAST!!!

I'd suggest sticking with the PD motor. Plus the interior of that year make logical sense.

The cup holders. WTF are they doing right above the stereo, then condensate all over everything under it. My 01 has this. the 06 has them in a normal spot.

I'd suggest sticking with the PD motor. Plus the interior of that year make logical sense.

The cup holders. WTF are they doing right above the stereo, then condensate all over everything under it. My 01 has this. the 06 has them in a normal spot.

I like the body style best too!!! I really don't like the '11 Jetta exterior... They are larger on the inside but the exterior isn't my favorite. Also they seem to have pulled a lot of the standard features out of the car to drop the price to compete with some of the other cheap cars on the market... If I wanted a Toyota, I'd buy a Toyota... They don't need to cheap out on the Jetta to try to get me to buy one!!! But I guess it will open up VW to more customers that like cheap cars...

Billy, what about the auto in the newer body style PD cars? How is that 6 speed DSG or whatever they call it auto holding up??? The VW dealer here in Chattanooga has quite a few 2010 TDI Jetta's in stock but only 2 manuals and probably 8 or so autos... I would think I might be able to get a better price onthe auto, would I regret it???

I'll probably still end up getting a used one but who knows...

What little reading I have done on them suggests they are better than the 01M's in the 98-03's, and have progressively gotten better. Biggest thing I remember reading on them was they liked for service intervals to be followed pretty closely.

Back