Truckers, lets see your rigs!

I'm looking to haul a grain wagon most likely...

On a side note, I won't drive a Volvo.
Anybody look at the aluminum frame truck?

I'll hang up the keys and go work at McDonalds before I'll drive a Volvo.

What does bulk hauling pay in your area? We're averaging 2.50 per mile gross for what we do, but we haul a lot of high dollar stuff.

The way I see it though... This is a choice, so therefore I'll drive what I LIKE. I felt the same on the aluminum frame.
That's the way I feel, if you don't like what you drive, you're not gonna enjoy what you do.

Now with that said, don't go out and buy a truck for way more than you can EASILY cover the payment on

I agree its your choice. I'm just warning you. I could give the phone numbers of 5 guys I grew up with who thought they HAD to have a long hood and lots of chrome to be cool. Two had their trucks repo'd one parked his and is a company driver and the other two worked 4k mile weeks and managed to pull thru.

Loren I see what your sayin completely. Which is why my max of even beginning to think is 15k.

From what I know around here... It's gonna vary from 1.65-2.35. Comes from a guy I know who owns his own truck and is leased on.

In the long and short of it, I've loved trucks all my life, never been raised around it or anything. I went to school blah blah decided I didn't wanna wrench on them and at my last crane job I got my CDL and kinda discovered that I really enjoy driving. All in all, long story short, I'm still ignorant to the business side and such. I'd like to find a good small company to drive for first but my freakin age kills me. This is why I'm thinking of what I'm thinking of.

I feel like I'm in a completely different ballgame from you guys in the Midwest, out here to do the job we do with the doubles and running as heavy as we are, you need horsepower and cooling capacity to do your job efficiently, my boss will confirm that the hood trucks are the most profitable trucks he's got, even over the freightliner cascadias that pull 7-8mpg running to Florida and back. And all the one truck guys that we run with pull in over 300k yearly, with operating costs only being about 150k of that. That's more than enough profit margin for me to have expensive taste, again, that's doing the work I do, I can't speak for bulk hauling in any other part of the country

Basically how our operation works, is John S Pocock trucking is the dispatching office, I work for Jed F Bush trucking, we have 5 trucks leased with pococks, there's a few other companies that lease to pococks as well (including Circuit trucking that I used to work for) and a bunch of one truck O/O's, I've already discussed leasing a truck with John and he said give him a year to open a spot for me and he'll do it. All in all, pococks dispatch about 85 trucks including the 18 he has himself.

Essentially I may just have to say F it... My age screws me. Everybody laughs at a kid looking to getting into trucking.

I know the feeling, I got lucky though and found a place that put me to work at 18 hauling spuds locally. Move to Idaho and I could have you a job tomorrow LOL

There's a ton of companies here that hire rookies, they all pay decent too, and mostly all of em run big hoods

That old of truck with an aluminum frame would worry me, even at lower weights I think it has got to be old enough that the metal is probably fatigued tht it may be losing its strength.

That old of truck with an aluminum frame would worry me, even at lower weights I think it has got to be old enough that the metal is probably fatigued tht it may be losing its strength.

And I also saw where it had a wet kit on it... Dump truck wouldn't be good.

Loren I see what your sayin completely. Which is why my max of even beginning to think is 15k.

From what I know around here... It's gonna vary from 1.65-2.35. Comes from a guy I know who owns his own truck and is leased on.

In the long and short of it, I've loved trucks all my life, never been raised around it or anything. I went to school blah blah decided I didn't wanna wrench on them and at my last crane job I got my CDL and kinda discovered that I really enjoy driving. All in all, long story short, I'm still ignorant to the business side and such. I'd like to find a good small company to drive for first but my freakin age kills me. This is why I'm thinking of what I'm thinking of.

You've got to run pretty hard to make $1.65 work, my winter gig works out to about $1.95 and I'm not getting rich by any means. On the nice truck/fleet truck thing, I knew I'd need some extra ambition on those crappy days which is why I bought the truck I did. The other thing to think about is that a nicer truck (379, 900l) was probably more appreciated in its life than a fleet Volvo or shaker. I've seen those guys do some real goofy stuff to those trucks with either ignorance or flat out not caring.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

And let's face it, while the DOT guys are pricks to everyone, they are gonna be more prone to pull over a chatty beat up ole truck.
And while I'm at it to make money, getting rich isn't my goal. If like to enjoy my job and not hate to wake up every morning knowing I have to go to work.

Last edited:
I realized I sounded kinda like a volvo nutswinger, so let me say I by no means like it any better over any other nosegrinder truck it's just what I bought. And I definately agree with the motivation part. Mine is in the form of a 2000 Pete 378 sitting in my yard. By the time I get it on the road (hopefully in a month or two) I'll have 20k in a basically rebuilt truck that should bring 30 if I'd sell it.

I honestly have nothing against them, they have lots of room inside and they seem to be nice for drivers. They're just not for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Back