Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Rough math trailer gross is ~32000lbs yeah you're overloaded

I’m not following you right here.
I’ve got 27,000 on the trailer axles, not 32,000. ??? Explain what I’m missing, please.

While Dot can't get you for over axle.. they can get you for exceeding equipment specs.. and all they have to do is find a component that isn't up to snuff like having 2500lb rims vs 3600lb rims capacity.. I'm sure the registration for the trailer is below 27,000lbs as well.. and if he's a real dick could get you for reckless operation or something similar.. 3 tickets and 4 figured fine value shut down until enough cargo is pull to get back within weight capacity.. if they are really big dicks they can give you a ticket for each component that's over loaded

5,760 lbs on the steer axle, 9,860 lbs on the drive axle, 27,060 lbs on the trailer axles.

Rough math trailer gross is ~32000lbs yeah you're overloaded

I’m not following you right here.
I’ve got 27,000 on the trailer axles, not 32,000. ??? Explain what I’m missing, please.
Gross trailer weight is trailer hitch weight plus trailer axle weight
Math time..
You posted..
5760+9860+27060=42680lb GCW
From your other post assuming same truck and trailer..
16500lb gross empty weight of truck and trailer subtract the 7100lb for the gross empty trailer weight
That leaves 9400lbs that the Ford weighs.

So we take your GCW loaded minus empty truck weight which gives you your gross trailer weight
42680lb-9400lb=33280lbs

Now we know gross trailer weight is 33280lb we minus 27060 of the axle weight which tells us you're running 6220lb hitch weight..
33280-27060=6220
Now we know hitch weight... You can take the loaded steer and loaded drive axle weights of 5760+9860=15620lb which BTW should be less than front+rear gross axle weight ratings
15620-6220(hitch weight)=9400lbs

Knowing that heaviest rating of a common 2 5/16 GN coupler and ball is 30,000lb gross trailer weight..
Common coupler on a 22kGN big Tex is 25,000lb gross trailer weight

Hope That make since.. tried to keep it in rough order

Last edited:
Gross trailer weight is trailer hitch weight plus trailer axle weight
Math time..
You posted..
5760+9860+27060=42680lb GCW
From your other post assuming same truck and trailer..
16500lb gross empty weight of truck and trailer subtract the 7100lb for the gross empty trailer weight
That leaves 9400lbs that the Ford weighs.

So we take your GCW loaded minus empty truck weight which gives you your gross trailer weight
42680lb-9400lb=33280lbs

Now we know gross trailer weight is 33280lb we minus 27060 of the axle weight which tells us you're running 6220lb hitch weight..
33280-27060=6220
Now we know hitch weight... You can take the loaded steer and loaded drive axle weights of 5760+9860=15620lb which BTW should be less than front+rear gross axle weight ratings
15620-6220(hitch weight)=9400lbs

Knowing that heaviest rating of a common 2 5/16 GN coupler and ball is 30,000lb gross trailer weight..
Common coupler on a 22kGN big Tex is 25,000lb gross trailer weight

Hope That make since.. tried to keep it in rough order

I’m following you now.
Axle weight ratings on the truck (door sticker) are 6,000 lbs for the steer, and 12,000 lbs for the drive, or 16,000 lbs total.
Tire ratings (and all that seemingly matters here) are way beyond that.

Last edited:
I’m following you now.
Axle weight ratings on the truck (door sticker) are 6,000 lbs for the steer, and 12,000 lbs for the drive, or 16,000 lbs total.
Tire ratings (and all that seemingly matters here) are way beyond that.

Does that truck destroy steer tires? Lumber wholesaler I used to haul for used 450/550’s to pull roll off trailers for job site delivery’s. They had 3 of them and they always wore like crap. Don’t know if the wheel base was too long or the hitch needed moved.

All this worry about bearings, tires wheels etc and in the 10+yrs we hauled from there all they ever got tickets for (other than the usual stuff like lights or a bad tire) was one cop in Indiana loved writing over length tickets. They would average like one a month.

Last edited:
Does that truck destroy steer tires? Lumber wholesaler I used to haul for used 450/550’s to pull roll off trailers for job site delivery’s. They had 3 of them and they always wore like. Don’t know if the wheel base was too long or the hitch needed moved.

All this worry about bearings, tires wheels etc and in the 10+yrs we hauled from there all they ever got tickets for (other than the usual stuff like lights or a bad tire) was one cop in Indiana loved writing over length tickets. They would average like one a month.

Have to rotate them regularly or the back edge of each tread block on the steer tires will wear terribly bad. I rotate the steers at every oil change (5,000 miles) and drives every 10,000 miles.
Worst thing is I can’t get rid of the shake. It shook TERRIBLY bad when we first got it, but the tires were 4 different brands, and not in good shape. Balance beads helped some, new tires and balance beads helped a lot, aluminum wheels and clean hubs helped some more, but it still has some shake at certain speeds.

While Dot can't get you for over axle.. they can get you for exceeding equipment specs.. and all they have to do is find a component that isn't up to snuff like having 2500lb rims vs 3600lb rims capacity.. I'm sure the registration for the trailer is below 27,000lbs as well.. and if he's a real dick could get you for reckless operation or something similar.. 3 tickets and 4 figured fine value shut down until enough cargo is pull to get back within weight capacity.. if they are really big dicks they can give you a ticket for each component that's over loaded

I missed this earlier.

I’m not disagreeing with what you’re saying here, but none that I’ve ever asked about some of this stuff cared.
Over and over they’ve told me, proper license, tags, insurance, tire ratings, secured properly, and we really don’t care.
Is it just Kentucky?
Obviously they care somewhere. ??

I missed this earlier.

I’m not disagreeing with what you’re saying here, but none that I’ve ever asked about some of this stuff cared.
Over and over they’ve told me, proper license, tags, insurance, tire ratings, secured properly, and we really don’t care.
Is it just Kentucky?
Obviously they care somewhere. ??

It changes cop to cop state to state. I'm usually in 35 states a year... I've seen copies of LV1 inspection where they hit the driver for not stopping within 50 miles of getting loaded to check the load on a sealed van trailer non the less... :doh:

I've been put OOS for misspelling a city name, claimed "falsified logs" when I first started 9 years ago

And "officer's discretion" means it's all up to given officer on what is being enforce if at all..

Generally I try and not find DOT.. even if I pass everything and they give me a sticker I have still lost $$$

Then you have this stuff and no effect means of recourse.. I have had this done to me on several occasions.. and cop says we're not out here to F you but since I got you bend over

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190227-214825~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20190227-214825~2.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 0
Well, I found another weak link.
Pump gear in the trans didn’t like nearly 43,000 lbs and trying to back up a steep hill to where the farmer wanted to unload last night.
Should’ve used 4lo....

Attachments

• F94A84C1-303F-40FB-AFC5-45A44087AF25.jpg
    F94A84C1-303F-40FB-AFC5-45A44087AF25.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 0
Then you have this stuff and no effect means of recourse.. I have had this done to me on several occasions.. and cop says we're not out here to F you but since I got you bend over

Yeah, don’t even get me started on that. I hate a warning worse than a ticket. At least you can fight a ticket, but a warning is on your record, and you can do nothing about it.
When I hauled feed in Tx I got pulled over and the only thing he found was a tail light out on the TRACTOR. Wrote me 4 warnings (brake light, running light, turn signal, and 4 way) for defective equipment. When I fussed about it he said, “If I pull you over, I will make it worth my time”.
Then there’s the time another one wrote me up for not having the paper temporary tag displayed on the back of my new walking floor trailer. It was January, snowing, and I was loaded. The tag goes under the doors. Guess where it would have been if I’d displayed it? In the feed pile and then I wouldn't have had anything.

Last edited:
Well, I found another weak link.
Pump gear in the trans didn’t like nearly 43,000 lbs and trying to back up a steep hill to where the farmer wanted to unload last night.
Should’ve used 4lo....

Split a 13spd in two doing that. Reverse is a the smallest weakest gear in the case.

Ouch.

This probably just the inner gear, but when it splits it chews up the hub on the torque converter and sends metal thru the whole system. Plus with no fluid flow it kills the clutch packs, and everything gets really hot.
I saw 232* sitting there. :(

Been putting in some work past couple weeks.
00c75977f7dbec4cfcfc1a74cc8f1627.jpg

eb3130ba77567cce9c5f2b4551bf5d6d.jpg

14fd2a87f55b056857d46571a2d1e824.jpg

ae575611e21d96b6ca66d725b0683212.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice lookin rides. Hope you didnt have to get pulled out from that 3rd pic down

I had to pump off the load right there where I got stuck and ended up getting myself unstuck.

This week I did over 3600 miles and never left my 150 mile radius.
We’ve been busy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back