Tubular Exhaust Manifold

So far i'm pretty happy, the egts are noticeably cooler especially during normal throttle accel. and 3/4 or more accel.! Highway cruise is a bit cooler as well. WOT seems to pull a bit harder and there seems to be less dead space (area where further pressing down the pedal doesn't result in more seat of the pants gain) in the pedal. I need to drive it more to get a better feel for it but so far i'm a very happy guy especially for the killer deal Bodie provided.

Bodie, you've got a real winner here in my opinion man! I'm not sure if these are all coming with the allen head bolts but if they are I would suggest to change to a hex head bolt. Very hard to get an allen bit in them due to the primaries interfering up around cylinders 3 and 4. I replaced one bolt with a hex head I had laying around. The others I couldn't get to with a 3/8" drive allen bit I shortened an allen key I had laying around to get to. Worked for all but the one I replaced.

A combination of backpressure and boost pressure will open the wastegate depending on how it's set. That's how I plan to run it.

Can't say I have ever ran only like that, I just used boost pressure off the manifold.

Jim

doh... it's been a while since I messed w/ an aftermarket wastegate... I didn't realize they had multiple ports :eek:

thought that was a BOV thing

It would have to have 2 ports right I am a rookie when it comes to WG's but the one it the top would open it then the lower port would act against it to hold it shut correct?? Sorry for the minor derail but I need to learn this ha ha.
Brandon

**** you got me! LOL I guess aftermarket wastegates have two ports... it's been a LONG time since I've used one!

an email that chris at engineer diesel.com sent me.

"Nick
The two ports in the gate are used to put pressure on either side of the piston. This pressure amount would depend on what you actual system needs are. The pressure can come from cold side boost or hot side drive, or one from each. Once you the gate on. Spring pressure in the gate will hold it closed as drive pressure tries to open it. Once drive pressure overcomes the spring your boost will taper off. If the boost is too low you want to add more spring or add pressure to the top port to keep it closed to make the turbo work harder. If the boost is too high you want to add pressure to the bottom side to open the valve sooner and relieve drive pressure. The most common way to run them is drive pressure on the valve plus drive pressure in the bottom port working against spring pressure and regulated boost pressure into the top port. Once you have the gate working in a "range" your system needs, you then use the regulator to blend in as much or little boost as it takes to get the gate to act how you want it too."

The only wastegate I have played with is the one from ED. You could use a heavy spring to hold it closed also, then allow drive or boost to open it. Or you can use a light spring with boost holding it closed, and then drive to open it. It is really a slick setup. Chris and I had a learning curve in the beginning, but I think they didn't have many out at the time. There are many ways to configure the ED gate, which makes it really nice.

these things look great i cant wait to get one myself did it change the sound of the truck at all??

Bodie shipped mine. Will give feedback compared to an ATS 3-piece as soon as I get it.

Back