turbo comparison

Willy91

howdy folks,
I currently am running an s300 with the stock 57 mm compresor and I believe 65 mm exhaust side with a 16cm exhaust housing. I'm possibly looking at a 66/14 tubo. How would spoolup between these 2 be. I relise the 66 is a bigger turbo, but it also has a tighter exhaust housin than my Current on, so I don't know.

Thanks, willy

You sure your s300 has a 16 on it??
Some people report surging issues on the sledpullers.
Good rule of thumb on the s300's try to keep the turbine housing larger than the compressor, this should help with surging. There is the reason the 66/14/65's are getting pretty in expensive.

I had a sledpuller on my 12V and had no issues with surge, but I know people who said they surged terribly. I wouldn't put a 66 on a 12V unless your ready for some trade offs. 62 or 64 would be fantastic on them. What are you using the truck for?

Last edited:
The real 12V experts will chime in I'm sure. From what I know a 12v auto's gonna spool considerably slower than what your used too, especially with a tight converter. What 66 are you looking at, what turbine wheel with the 14cm housing?

You sure your s300 has a 16 on it??
Some people report surging issues on the sledpullers.
Good rule of thumb on the s300's try to keep the turbine housing larger than the compressor, this should help with surging. There is the reason the 66/14/65's are getting pretty in expensive.

I had a sledpuller on my 12V and had no issues with surge, but I know people who said they surged terribly. I wouldn't put a 66 on a 12V unless your ready for some trade offs. 62 or 64 would be fantastic on them. What are you using the truck for?

yes I bought it off of a member here who had it set up for twins. It doesn't light hard on my truck till probably 1800-2000 rpm somewhere in there's. I mostly use my truck for daily driving and am hopeing to race some this year. Plan on adding some delivery valves and a cam similar to a helix 2 in the near future.

I run a 64-71 s300 with a 16cm housing and on my ve truck i love it lites around 1900 and will push 60psi if i let it

The real 12V experts will chime in I'm sure. From what I know a 12v auto's gonna spool considerably slower than what your used too, especially with a tight converter. What 66 are you looking at, what turbine wheel with the 14cm housing?

yeah I know there was a hug difference in spool from my stocker to this s300, I just didn't know how these 2 here would compare.

i am running a 62/71/14 on my 96 daily driver and it spools fast. dyno 491hp with just DDP 2's,215 pump,20*,191's,#4 plate,5k springs, and some afc work.

Is your housing wastegated? If it isn't I am wandering if it is the .83 a/r or maybe a holset.

i had a SPS 66 with a DTT auto and it was laggy at first start but then lit fast, if you were smooth and progressive on the throttle it wasnt bad, and yes it did surge real bad. at one time i thought i could drive through it and di most of the time but when i towed or would try to accellerate up a hill it would surge and get really hot. i will never own one again. my twins spool fast then it did and keep me way cooler. i would see 1600+ in 3-4 secs at WOT, it is nice not seeing over 1150.

ok folks, lookign at a B1 62-14 now. How do you's think this would do on my truck? How would it spool compared to what I have know? How much better would it cool? Thanks folks.

A friend of mine is running a 99 with 150 hp Diesel Dynamics Injectors, juice w/ attitude, DTT trans, and a B-D Manifold with his B-1... It spools at 1800 and comes in super fast and strong.........:rockwoot: "Spools like a mofo!!!"

Back