Twins on a D-max

wideopen

Slum Lord
What Configuration are people who run twins using?? What Turbos ?? What Fuel System?? Dual CP3's or a Single?

Besides a select few that have fabbed their own (only know of three), I think most are running the IdahoCTD twins. Unless you get a specially ordered race set, you get an unspecified (designer won't disclose what it is and all markings have been removed - kinda shi**y if you ask me, especially since you are paying for the dam* thing) big charger and the kit uses your stocker as the small charger.

They have been used with all levels of fueling from stock (besides tuning) to dual CP3s, injectors, fuel pumps, etc.

C-ya

My twins are from MPI, Maximized Performance Inc... aka IdahoCTD
I am on the waiting list for the MPI twin CP3 setup right now as well.

SmokeShow said:
Besides a select few that have fabbed their own (only know of three), I think most are running the IdahoCTD twins. Unless you get a specially ordered race set, you get an unspecified (designer won't disclose what it is and all markings have been removed - kinda shi**y if you ask me, especially since you are paying for the dam* thing) big charger and the kit uses your stocker as the small charger.

They have been used with all levels of fueling from stock (besides tuning) to dual CP3s, injectors, fuel pumps, etc.

C-ya

Why do you need to know what is on the setup you buy from MPI? Will it perform better if you know what it is:umno:? Nathan knows what your setup is and makes the twins for it. What more is there to know? The setup makes great power and is the perfect combo of streetability and power. What more do you want:bang?

I'm running ATS twin CP3's and DonM sticks with my MPI twins setup. I have some motor work to do and then I'll see how it runs!

Last edited:
Its not a matter of NEED but rather a want issue. Personally for me, if I'm buying the charger, I'd like to know what I'm getting just so I know. No other reason.

I know it performs good, etc., etc. so its not an issue of being worried about getting ripped off or anything. I just don't care for the secret BS amung the aftermarket.

Before you even say it, yes I know there are lots of things in life that I buy that I have no clue what it is yet I buy it anyways and don't think a thing of it. HOWEVER, a charger for my truck is NOT going to be one of them. :D ;)

Anyways, back to the topic here..... Thanks for posting up the name of the company. I just simply couldn't remember it. All I could remember was his screen name. His set appears to be rockin as far as performance goes and looks good to boot.

C-ya

Last edited:
wideopen said:
So with twins are dual CP3's recomended?

Not needed, but they have a ton of extra air, so extra fuel supplied can be used. I ran in the 11's with one factory LLY cp3 and stock injectors. This was a daily driven crew cab snow plow truck.

A LBZ cp3 would help if staying with one pump.

As for keeping the chargers secret, a ton of research and testing is done to get the right set-up. Only good business sense to keep it quiet.

Take care,
Rob

I've never done it, but looks like about a 5 hour job. Sucker is buried down in the bowels. Should give you 2000psi more though. They can be bought for $600.00

I guess My question then is it worth the time to change it out? Or should a person just wait and add the dual CP3 setup Vs. the single LBZ pump? This thread just got de-railed from the original twin question..but WTH we're all learning..LOL

I fully understand why there are trade secrets but it doesn't mean I like it. When a person's livelihood is at stake, there are going to be secrets. I understand that, its just not something I'm fond of but it is a fact most the time.

I think I have been taken wrong here anyways. I am in no way slamming Nathan or MPI and their dual charger setup. I hear nothing but good about it and fully understand why they keep what charger it is they are using to themselves. Its just that I would RATHER know what I'm getting. I have not said it would detour me from buying them if I were interested in twins and I have not purposely said anything to try and detour anyone else from buying them. IMO, they are a great performer and the fit and finish seems to be spot-on from what pics I've seen. I have not seen any in person.

C-ya

With good tuning, I feel the extra fuel pressure of a LBZ pump is good for about .2 in the 1/4mile. $600.00

Looks like a duel CP3 set-up will give you .3-.5 with the big air that the twins supply. $3,000.00

Not just a money question, seems with the bigger charger options and the extra fuel supplied by dual cp3's, your getting into the danger zone of stock rods.

Hey Smoke, no sweat. Almost all of us MPI twin owners know what the chargers are. We just respect the builder and his time, so choose not to tell. Nathan is not a big company, but a guy just like any of us. He has the passion to carry out his ideas.

I have no problem with everyone having an opinion, it's what makes the world go round.

Thanks for the Advise Rob.. that helps alot.. For less than 3/10's in the 1/4?? Is $3000 worth it?

I have not tested the twin pumps, so just going by what I've heard on the time increase. I have done quite a few tests with added psi on a single pump, and feel that the .2 is accuate.

On my new truck, I'll most likely run one pump. This should get me in the 11.6 to 11.8 range. I don't want to put a cage in the truck, so for me the extra $3000 is not worth it. I drive the school car pools and need the room that the cage would take.

Now if someone would like to donate dual cp3's for testing, I'll surely put them on.:rockwoot:

wideopen said:
Thanks for the Advise Rob.. that helps alot.. For less than 3/10's in the 1/4?? Is $3000 worth it?

Depends on what you really want to do with the truck. If you are on *nx* and want a Race truck...I'd say no. However, if you want something that is every day and strip worthy, then yes. A twin set-up will get you into the 11's, have power across the board, pull in high HP and probably get better fuel economy....all on #2.

I see no point in twins unless your towing, other than that a single works just as good or better.

Noreaster said:
I see no point in twins unless your towing, other than that a single works just as good or better.

Not sure how a single works as good or better. No more lag than a stock single, and all the benefits of a large single and none of the drawbacks. Plowing snow, hunting in the mountains, or towing anything with a single that would run in the 11's on fuel would be a chore.

I like them because I have a low 12 sec truck on tap all the time. I also don't like blowing a ton of smoke on the street. No smoke and low 12's on the street are a perfect fit for me. Some quick mods in the morning, and I have a 11 sec. truck.

I added up all the time slips from the last two years, and I would of paid for the twins in N2O costs to run the same ET's.

And they just sound COOL.

Last edited:
For the extra $$$ for twins it hardly seems worth it, like I said singles can do just fine in 95% of the situations. I gone back & forth with Juice on this quite a few times, he could never prove it that there was an advantage.

Noreaster said:
For the extra $$$ for twins it hardly seems worth it, like I said singles can do just fine in 95% of the situations. I gone back & forth with Juice on this quite a few times, he could never prove it that there was an advantage.

O.K.

I'm putting a set on my new truck and I'm not rich.

Back