Twins on a D-max

With the right tuning (not alot of timing & non radical fuel curves), lower drive pressures & a BB turbo 550hp single turbo work truck would be fine.

A poorly tuned truck will shorten/chuck rods with no exception to how many turbos are on it.

You guys were just jealous of Hoot, the original fence jumper.:hehe:

Noreaster said:
Well Id think different if I saw something worthy of an advantage.

To have your own opinion is a good thing. In my life experiences, correctly set up twins versus a big single I would lean twards the single putting out a bigger dyno number. In pretty much any other competition the twins would rule including engine longevity. Before twinning my Dmax I could tell the grade of hill I was climbing by looking at the egt's. Now when the grade changes I get more action watching the turbo boost increase than the egts. My LLY runs faster/quicker at the track everytime out. The last time out it ran a 12 flat and the egts where under 1200 and falling at the end of the track. Next time out will be the Feb 11 and I have a feeling the winter fuel thing may spoil the truck getting into the 11's. Yes my view is biased as my Cummins is twinned as well.

Last I priced a good ball bearing turbo with everything needed for install your getting close if not over the twin set-up.

Noreaster said:
What the price for twins running about now? $4000?

For the Tial wastegate(your choice of color), cold pipe bungs for NOS or blow off valves, two boost ports, all stainless hardware/braided lines, powder coating (your color choice), and a ceramic coated downpipe/hot pipe(your color choice), you are just over that price. Nathan does tuning too! We'll see how much HP it supports, but I'm sure 700 at the wheels will not be a problem.

Last edited:
So you guys must have non BB turbos if all that stuff is around $4000

one turbo could just remain stock.......... that would make super easy to install the system.

Those kits do use the stock charger unless you want to make crazy power like Keith.

Noreaster said:
So you guys must have non BB turbos if all that stuff is around $4000

No need for BB if your running twins. The chargers see alot less load per unit.

supersmoke said:
No need for BB if your running twins. The chargers see alot less load per unit.

Correct. I've been talking with Nathan on this subject. "It's your money, no need though" was the reply.

I ran my last set for two hard seasons of racing(100's upon 100's of passes) and street driven everyday(some days easy, some not) and the system was working perfectly the day I sold it. Last day at the track before sale, it ran a 7.59 - 1/8 which was the quickest it ever ran to date. Long story to show that a BB isn't needed.

I figured it as the bigger charger isn't BB because of the stuff that Bobo listed & said was around 4k. Don't think you could build it for less than 4k with a BB.

Wheres are favorite turbo tester McRat? Hes been fairly quiet recently. You guys must be busy on the Place.

The BB is for long life of the turbo. McRat is busy testing still. He just ran 119.94 mph in his EC SB 4wd on #2 with his GT42XXX. He roasted all 4 tires in 1st, 2nd, and part way through 3rd for that run. He thinks he can get a 125 mph trap speed with traction. Stock motor (including rods and head bolts), except for the charger, PPE duel fuelers, trans, and programing. Alot of power there. There's another 50-60 more HP available with one more mod. I'm sure it's in the works for him. I'm going to do this extra mod myself as well.

Last edited:
hummm, what would 120MPH yeild on the 1/4? What would 125 yeild?

super diesel said:
The BB is for long life of the turbo. McRat is busy testing still. He just ran 119.94 mph in his EC SB 4wd on #2 with his GT42XXX. He roasted all 4 tires in 1st, 2nd, and part way through 3rd for that run. He thinks he can get a 125 mph trap speed with traction. Stock motor (including rods and head bolts), except for the charger, PPE duel fuelers, trans, and programing. Alot of power there. There's another 50-60 more HP available with one more mod. I'm sure it's in the works for him. I'm going to do this extra mod myself as well.

Thats pretty cool stuff being in the 120 club with your daily driver. I guess the GT42 is now the current cats meow. I like the your description above it would be nice to know where his boost and EGT's were during that pass. The BB having a longer life is not what I have noticed in the diesel world. It has been my understanding that BB in a diesel is very sensative to needing clean oil. The Phords BB turbo in the 6.0 sure has gone through an expensive learning curve. The only reason I was interested in a BB is hearing that a BB will spool anywhere from .2 to .5 seconds quicker. But anyone who understands how twins work would know that isn't an issue on the bottom charger. It also makes me wonder if choosing a BB if it would magnify turbo barking when being used as a single.

I know a lot of people want to know what the turbo is I use but it's called self preservation. Why would I give potential competition all the answers? It's not logical business practice. For the amount of work in a Dmax twin set up I can build three sets of Dodge twins so it's not like I'm getting rich off of them either. The good thing about the Dmax is they use a decent size turbo from the factory.

I'm working on a truck now that will have a set of twins bigger then I've ever built. Hopefully it will still be streetable but either way the trucks primary goal is to go fast.

Noreaster said:
I figured it as the bigger charger isn't BB because of the stuff that Bobo listed & said was around 4k. Don't think you could build it for less than 4k with a BB.

Looks like the BB that McRat is selling is listed from him at $4200.00

Its a like every other new thing, if theres few options available then its expensive, give it time & they will be cheaper.

Theres also better deals out there than that or buy the kit & can get a good deal on a turbo.

I'm making a Vendor plug here...... If you are running a high $$ turbo or a BB turbo, I'd sugest an FS 2500 from PCD Performance.

PCD Performance Status: Supporting Vendor
Duramax.jpg

Go to FS2500.com and see for yourself.

............Ok, off my soapbox.

If you have to have DBB, then use the 42's from Forcedinduction, they are modified to run on Duramax's for extended abuse. They change quite a few things from what I understand internally and make them spool faster as well.

Back