Ucc 2017

Ok, I wasn't aware of that, guess I was thinking super stock since we saw bar tires, and the power level of the top guys seems closer to that, the the smooth bore classes. I still stick with the benchmark idea though, I mean ii can only successfully compete in the one event, why make them embarrass themselves in the other two?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

whatever fills the seats. Wouldn't be as enjoyable for some if you knew who'd win each segment. Yet again, it's like NASCAR which who cares who wins as long as there's a great turn 4 wreck on the last lap.

Schidt.....Josh can twist drive shafts with his bare hands.

attachment.php

LOL
You say that jokingly, but I've seen him in action....

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Actually, for the first time, I agree with BlackMega. :eek:

You guys are looking at it as enthusiasts who actually understand whats what in these competitions.
We know that the other teams/shops who competed and placed in every event probably know more about how the combos go together and how to keep them alive, which is what we cared about. If I were building a Cummins, I know who'd I go see. ;) Same with a Dmax.

But, think about it from the "uneducated masses" POV. What sells parts? HP sells parts, even if its an unrealistic number for 99.99999999999999999999999(is that enough nines?)% of the people out there. Next month, those uneducated people wont remember who won the drag race portion (Firepunk) or the pull (PDD), but they sure as heck will remember who put down 2500hp, and they'll go to that website to buy parts.

II will make money b/c even though they cant put the power to the ground in either racing or pulling, the number is still there for marketing. Maybe they didnt care where they placed in the event as a whole b/c the point was to get the big # on the dyno? Who knows. Besides, as a marketing tool, they can write off quite a bit of that truck as advertising. ;) Smart. Credit where credit is due to all the teams. I know I could never build something like that. Hell, most of us couldnt.

Last edited:
By the way how'd Firepunk tuning workout with that sigma...:poke:

What the hell...

I am not at liberty to say part of what I saw. I can tell you the transmission was the issue, NOT the engine. Had it put the power through, Lavon may have only needed 81' to win. Why were the HP and TQ numbers so close?

From a marketing brand stand point, I would hope II has the upper hand. 4 page ads in magazines, HUGE marketing presence at big events. I would hope the cubic marketing dollars II spend helps them.

You are wrongly discounting the brand Firepunk has. For so little advertising, they have a huge presence compared to dollars spent. I would gander to say their truck is under 2 years of II budget for marketing. Yet, the crowd I saw gathered around the truck when it fired up 17mm of Sigma goodness made the stands when Baca ran look empty. I can tell you for a FACT that the stands were PACKED when Lavon ran. The announcer messing up made for a fantastic roar when people thought they heard him hit nearly 4000hp. That is something the crowd wont forget. So you can pat the announcers on the back for a memorable mistake.

oldestof11;2614290The announcer messing up made for a fantastic roar when people thought they heard him hit nearly 4000hp. That is something the crowd wont forget. So you can pat the announcers on the back for a memorable mistake.[/QUOTE said:

I have a lot of respect for everyone that came out and gave it their best shot. Lots of time, effort, and money put into these machines regardless if you're at the front of the pack or the rear. It's good for the sport and puts on a great show for us, thanks for coming out.

The funny part about watching the bandwagon circle is when the "riders" start to choke on their own dust....

:cheer::cheer::cheer:

Didn't Lavon say he had somewhere near $150,000 in last year's setup..... then tack on new head, machining, hard parts, and ect.... for this year and I'd venture to say the break even mark associated with PR is a long shot away.

If I were a brand analyst for them the best thing they should take from this is the idea to capture the momentum and build a more marketable slogan or product for brand identification.

That's how you win at the end of the day..... dollars in the front door!

By the way how'd Firepunk tuning workout with that sigma...:poke:

Does II have to burp you to get there balls back? 3 events that baca was trying to win. First event failed miserably. Almost laughable, actually felt bad because of the time invested. Second event he won, but if you were there the stands were packed for lavons pass and several times had 150-200 people around the truck with the mechanical motor. It was a win before he even went on the dyno. The stands went crazy for his numbers. Wasn't the same for industrial. Then the 3rd event he couldn't even make a pass. In all cases winning is winning. I don't want to hear excuses "wait till next year again" wait till he gets it figured out. Wait till it can put power down bla bla bla. Step up and win or sit down. For some reason the world is looking at dpc, dpc, UCC, ODSS points champ and another UCC on the win list for the firepunk camp. I would say there brand is doing pretty good.

But, think about it from the "uneducated masses" POV. What sells parts? HP sells parts, even if its an unrealistic number for 99.99999999999999999999999(is that enough nines?)% of the people out there. Next month, those uneducated people wont remember who won the drag race portion (Firepunk) or the pull (PDD), but they sure as heck will remember who put down 2500hp, and they'll go to that website to buy parts.

First of all....I'm quite certain NO one spends the kind of money any of the competitors spent just to appeal to the "undeducated masses." And second of all....the difference in 2399 and 24xxx isn't even considerable. Third, I ain't got nothing against "blackmega," but after reading miles of his schidt storm threads in the past few years....I don't think I could side with him even if he is RIGHT! :hehe:

For some reason the world is looking at dpc, dpc, UCC, ODSS points champ and another UCC on the win list for the firepunk camp. I would say there brand is doing pretty good.

I would too. I also try not to post too much punk stuff for fear of being labeled a "nut swinger" as well.....but I've gotten to know some of those guys on a more personal level in the last two years and enjoy their company. Lavon, his family, and his crew truly are great people and deserve what they have accomplished. And for some asshat with oral diaherra to start spouting that he didn't actually win is a load of crap. The event was three challenges. Most points wins. Period. The punks don't need any of us keeping their back. Their efforts are shown in the trophies on their desks. My hats off to all the competitors, even II, but they didn't win.

Last edited:
Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

i'll just leave this here....

:hehe::hehe::hehe:*bdh*

They weren't in Idaho falls...

Yeah for some reason I mixed it up with where UCC is based. My original thought on that was being where they were was Lavons backyard, they should've performed better and they know it.

Does II have to burp you to get there balls back? 3 events that baca was trying to win. First event failed miserably. Almost laughable, actually felt bad because of the time invested. Second event he won, but if you were there the stands were packed for lavons pass and several times had 150-200 people around the truck with the mechanical motor. It was a win before he even went on the dyno. The stands went crazy for his numbers. Wasn't the same for industrial. Then the 3rd event he couldn't even make a pass. In all cases winning is winning. I don't want to hear excuses "wait till next year again" wait till he gets it figured out. Wait till it can put power down bla bla bla. Step up and win or sit down. For some reason the world is looking at dpc, dpc, UCC, ODSS points champ and another UCC on the win list for the firepunk camp. I would say there brand is doing pretty good.

Do you honestly thing all those shops entered to win.... hell no, it's called brand exposure and marketing!

I don't know is anyone else saw, but between ticket sales and the Facebook or YouTube feeds.... UCC barely had over 1k people watching! Which frankly is a massive fail and not even a drop in the bucket for market presence or demographic appeal to the masses!

First of all....I'm quite certain NO one spends the kind of money any of the competitors spent just to appeal to the "undeducated masses." And second of all....the difference in 2399 and 24xxx isn't even considerable. Third, I ain't got nothing against "blackmega," but after reading miles of his schidt storm threads in the past few years....I don't think I could side with him even if he is RIGHT! :hehe:

Lol, I don't want anyone to side with me. Just do their own research! Funny how I was the first to really have experience and dealings with multiple sxe turbo and they called crow, but look what's the top selling single..... I'll put my crystal ball away now! God let's not even get into when I congratulated fleece for all their sticker riddled parts...:kick:

Yeah for some reason I mixed it up with where UCC is based. My original thought on that was being where they were was Lavons backyard, they should've performed better and they know it.

Do you honestly thing all those shops entered to win.... hell no, it's called brand exposure and marketing!

I don't know is anyone else saw, but between ticket sales and the Facebook or YouTube feeds.... UCC barely had over 1k people watching! Which frankly is a massive fail and not even a drop in the bucket for market presence or demographic appeal to the masses!

Lol, I don't want anyone to side with me. Just do their own research! Funny how I was the first to really have experience and dealings with multiple sxe turbo and they called crow, but look what's the top selling single..... I'll put my crystal ball away now! God let's not even get into when I congratulated fleece for all their sticker riddled parts...:kick:

So what is it then? They appealed to the masses or not? You comment contradicts itself. There were over 6k tickets pre sold for the event. That's up there for a diesel event. Not an event for the spectators in my opinion.
And no not all a shops entered to win ,your right. But firepunk and II did. And I don't know what would be better brand exposure / marketing then winning and winning again. Maybe it's just the competitor side in me.

So II "morally won" but they didnt go there to win now? Keep yore stories straight windowlicker...

So what is it then? They appealed to the masses or not? You comment contradicts itself. There were over 6k tickets pre sold for the event. That's up there for a diesel event. Not an event for the spectators in my opinion.
And no not all a shops entered to win ,your right. But firepunk and II did. And I don't know what would be better brand exposure / marketing then winning and winning again. Maybe it's just the competitor side in me.

Masses, being the average consumer. The reason II competes and is content with winning only 1 category is it keeps them relevant to the less specific market which UCC targets. Remember UCC was started as the anti-DPC which Diesel power mag sells over 200,000 mags a month with plenty of II ad space! So think, does II even need UCC.... nope!

Masses, being the average consumer. The reason II competes and is content with winning only 1 category is it keeps them relevant to the less specific market which UCC targets. Remember UCC was started as the anti-DPC which Diesel power mag sells over 200,000 mags a month with plenty of II ad space! So think, does II even need UCC.... nope!

Trust me we are far from satisfied with only winning one event and having issues in the others. We came to win and unfortunately that wasn't the case. There is no reason to cry, ***** and moan over our failures and misfortune but rather to take it as a learning experience and fix the weak links and prove what it is capable of.

Trust me we are far from satisfied with only winning one event and having issues in the others. We came to win and unfortunately that wasn't the case. There is no reason to cry, ***** and moan over our failures and misfortune but rather to take it as a learning experience and fix the weak links and prove what it is capable of.

Nobody like to loose of course, but this $hits about sales at the end of the day with how II presents the package!

It's a good thing though.... that's your job security and as much as I didn't like Brady(RIP) he built a marketing monster!

Last edited:

First of all, I was there in person and there was A LOT more than 1,000 people watching the event live!!! I would estimate the crowd at something between 7-9000 spectators. The large drag strip grandstands were very crowded for both Baca's and Firepunk's dyno runs... It honestly blew me away to see how many people paid $$$ to sit on cold aluminum grandstands in 40-something degree weather with a seriously cold wind and watch 22 or so trucks dyno over a 10 or so hour day!!!

Between runs the spectators were able to see one of the largest vendor areas we've seen short of trade shows like PRI or SEMA!!! All of the vendors I spoke with seemed very happy with the UCC turnout. Spectators were also able to walk through the pits and see the competition trucks up close

Over all UCC II was a great success in my opinion and I think UCC III will continue to grow from there and further build on the success!!!

Now as for DP selling 200,000 mags a month, you are seriously mistaken or extremely misinformed. DP is still currently the best selling diesel mag, but DW is catching up and constantly narrowing the gap... Neither magazine is selling anywhere near 200,000 copies a month...

It was a bummer that Baca's truck did not perform as well as they hoped on the strip or pull track. But they were gaining on it on the strip and got faster and looked better with each pass. I don't know what happened on the pull track, but I am sure that Baca was not happy about it...

If they get the bugs worked out and the truck lives up to its potential it will be pretty outrageous! I hope they get it going and do not give up on it!!!

Congrats on another UCC Dyno WIN!!!

Back