VE 6.7 conversion part 2

jodo1132

As some may know I did a ve 6.7 conversion which turned out great,the engine performs and sounds great.The next step for me in this is to up grade my truck from 3rd gen to a forth gen. I had purchased a 2011 cab/chassis with a Aisin tranny in it.The truck had a bad engine in it so I purchased one from mark and put the truck back together.I have been driving it for the past several months working some things out with it.It is a 2wd reg cab,so this why its become my donner. This truck does have a DEF system on it.One of the reasons for this part of the project is to see if I can keep all emissions in tact and trick the ecm into believing all is as it should be and throw no codes.I have been thinking about this for years,thinking of possible solutions so I think I have most areas covered.Aside from the engine side of this project I am updating the interrior and possibly the front clip. Now,I have completed the dash and console.The 4th gen dash is a dirrect bolt in to a 3rd gen,no mods needed.You do have to change out the HVAC unit,but that too is a dirrect fit.The fire wall and cowl have not changed,all studs and holes are the same for the most part.Just to clarify,Iam updating my 05 with the VE pumped 6.7 to 4th gen,I am leaving my engine in the truck,all emissions will be put on this engine,I will also be replacing the 68rfe with the aisin tranny.I will post some pics as I go, The first 2 pics are of the 2 trucks

Attachments

• 100_0598.jpg
    100_0598.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1201.jpg
    DSCF1201.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 0
John, I've said it before, but your determination to do these projects is inspiring.
You do the neatest and "oddest" combinations and have better luck than most people would ever have.

I look forward to the results of this evolution of your truck.

Mark.

Since I have the engine out I decided to change out injectors,when I first put this engine together I used a set of 250 hp injectors,I didnt like them because they smoked too much,I then put in a 140hp set,they did pretty good but they were not pushing enough fuel,so I had arkansas fuel injection build another set,these ones are 175hp and they set the pop preasure higher than the other sets.I think these will be a perfect match. My tranny is ready,the one in the cab chassis was a 2wd,these are the same as the 68rfe in that all you have to do is swop out the tail housing on them to change between 2wd and 4wd,you dont need to tear down the hole tranny.Aisins are longer and heavyer,but they have smaller torque converters than the 68rfe.I should have the engine ready this evening,so I hope to have the engine and tranny back in the truck by the end of tomorrow.Here is a couple pics of the dash instaled on my truck

Attachments

• DSCF1394.jpg
    DSCF1394.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1395.jpg
    DSCF1395.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1396.jpg
    DSCF1396.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nice work man! Love the unique builds. Props for figuring all the different ways a Dodge Ram can get put together!

It has been a slow go on this,I had to change out every piece wire on my truck,add modules for the def system,mount the def tank,pump and the complete exhaust system.The down pipe took alot of time,it is huge,I had to make some changes to get it to work.I did get the engine and tranny in ,I did not have to do any mods to get the tranny mounted,even though it is 4.5 inches longer it still mounted in the same place as the 68rfe and the original 48re did.I still have allot of work to do in the engine bay.I am sure some people are wandering why I would be putting all that emissions stuff on when alot of people are trying to remove it.If my donner truck did not have a def system on it I would not bother because I dont think there would be a way for me to trick the ecm without using software as far as the emissions goes.The hole point of this project is to see if I can make everything function using the mechanical injection system and trick wiring.And to see if it would still pass a smog test.If this works than I am sure there are others out there that will be able to use some of this info for there own build.I am also trying to trick the ecm into believing that the stock fuel system is functioning without using software.This may not work out,but its worth a try

I do not understand why you do these things.

I think that's why I think it's so cool and fascinating. Keep up the good work and cool projects.

Tricking the ECM to work with emissions is going to be hard. I requires to much input and output control that very to be controlled

I finely got the engine compartment back together.It was a slow go.The good news at this point is I have no injector codes,no cp3 codes and no fuel rail or other fuel related codes. I am pleased with that. As of last night I had 2 codes showing, one is for the cam sensor and the second was U010E, which is lost communication with DEF modual.That is the one I will be working on till its solved.The cam sensor was exspected,that is the only sensor I did not cover.I spent a lot of time over the past tryng to figure out what I could do with it.Common rail systems do not need it to start or run,I never use it in my conversions.I do have one thing I am going to try with it but I doubt it will work.As soon as I get the system all cleared I will let you all know what I have done to trick the ecm.

The work you do is simply amazing
You ought to see him in action. :cool:
The physical labor he does while doing this work is astounding, as well.
Yeah, sometimes he has a bit of help, but more often than not, he's muscling the big and heavy around by himself.

John's not a very big fellow, either.

Mark.

Looking good! I always enjoy seeing and reading about something unique. Keep up the great work man. I have done several conversions myself although labor intensive they are rewarding. I have really tossed around the idea of my 2012 Longhorn being the proud recipient of a P7100 and Twins..

Its been awhile since I updated you all on this project.Well,I have had alot of problems,I went from 2 codes to 54. I spent days trying to figure out what was going on,every time I messed with something I got a hole pile more codes.It turned out the engine harness that was in my donner was damaged.When I bought the truck I new there was a small fire under the turbo.WHen I put the new engine in it I did not see anything that stood out as a problem,and did not have any problems other than a egr out of limit code.Well when I recofigured the harness to fit my VE pumped engine the twisting of the harness opened up some old wounds.I got another harness from mark nixon and got some things straightened out. I am at 14 codes key on not running,21 at idle.Alot of these codes are BS ones,I am focused on the more serious ones .I am not able to get any communication from ecm to my turbo actuator at the moment,when I plug the turbo in it shuts down my DEF system.Normally that would mean there is a short in the actuator,but I have 4 of these here and that would mean they are all bad,which is possible.I have an appointment with dodge tomorrow at 8am,I am having the ecm flashed and possibly the turbo actuator reprogrammed if that year needs it.So many of the remaining codes are dirrectly and indirectly caused by the turbo .Another problem I have been dealing with is while on the way to see mark in nebraska my truck wanted to regen,needless to say my filter went from 80% to 100% in 20 miles,I have been trying to get that cleared with no luck at the moment.I did remove the dpf,cut it open,cleaned it and re-installed it,no luck.Being a cab and chassis electrical system the dealer may have to reset it,I will find out tomorrow.The first step on this project right now is getting all codes cleared at key on/engine off.After that it will be codes cleared at idle,then I will move on from there,I hope by the end of this weekend I will have more to report. The aisin tranny shifts great,performs excellent behind my engine,much nicer than the 68rfe.It would be even better if my turbo was hooked up.

I moved this thread out of the Introduction section, and into the Dodge Competition forum, so more people/traffic can see it. If that is a problem, please let me know.

My ECM got a clean bill of health from the dealer,that was worth the money for piece of mind,I was not sure if my electrical problems messed something up.They did reset my pdf,but I will have to get working on my regen set up.I was in formed that my turbo actuator circuits were fine,actuators are bad.I need to get some more actuator,this is holding me.I will see what I can come up with over the next couple days

I can't even imagine taking something like this on, you are a brave man! I hope you persevere to a successful end to your project!

Great thread, I am subscribed, LOL. I have my 04.5 truck that I have changed the drive-train from a 2wd Chassis to an 06 4x4 chassis, I have the 06 harness's, ECM Etc., that I want to install so I can run EFI Live, but need to source a complete dash and cluster before starting that project. I applaud your ingenuity and drive to change things up, blazing new trails to figure out what is possible is where it's at!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back