VE 6.7 conversion part 2

Since my truck will not beable to regen on its own I had to add a injector just bellow the turbo.Its fed fuel from the main fuel line,this way I can regen when its convenient for me.I used a nozzel from a non intercooled cummins,I gutted it and welded a fitting onto it to accept a banjo bolt,pretty simple.I teed into the main fuel line,added a small inline filter,from there to a inline 12v shutoff valve which I have a switch inside to operate it.It functions like it should,but we will have to see if it will work when it comes time to clean the dpf,I cant do any more with it till I get the turbo hooked back up.Mr Nixon is coming by here in the next day or too,should have some actuators for me.I took a couple pics,the first is of my injector and the others is with the 4th gen bumper and mirrors installed.I think they look good,Having a problem uploading pics,will keep trying

Here are the pics,hopfully

Attachments

• DSCF1438.jpg
    DSCF1438.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1439.jpg
    DSCF1439.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1435.jpg
    DSCF1435.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1436.jpg
    DSCF1436.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 0
Nice work on switching everything over. I'm surprised so many of the 4th gen stuff carried over to the third gen. Good luck with it!

Thanks for all the knowledge that you bring to the site! If not for threads like this I wouldn't have a VP-less 24v sitting in the back of my truck:bang

TIf not for threads like this I wouldn't have a VP-less 24v sitting in the back of my truck:bang

The best kind of 24v!

This is a completely ridiculous swap, and I thank you for it. I hope you'll detail on how you beat all the codes when you get it figured out.

The past week I have been fighting turbo actuator problems.I did get 4 more actuators and they all did the same thing once plugged in,and that was to disable my DEF system,I had a hard time believing the actuators were all bad,so I decided to wire the actuators directly to the ecm,and disconnect the def system.Once I did that my turbo worked as it should.The cab and chassis trucks use 2 data wires to control the DEF modual,nox sensor 1,nox sensor 2 and the turbo actuator,this is really stupid,it makes things very difficult,this has been one of the more difficult problems I have ever had to figure out.After days of working on the wiring I have only managed to get the turbo,def modual and nox sensor 2 to read.I am still trying to get nox 1 hooked up .Nox sensor 1 is hooked up,its just that the ecm has no communication with it.None of these problems were caused by this project,all this stemmed from a bad engine harness.The 2 data wires from the turbo travel through the engine harness,cross over into the tranny harness,then cross over to the frame rail harness and travel to the rear of the truck,it is there that it splices into the ecm data wires. On a good note ,today I took the truck on a 300 mile trip,on the way back my center display said my dpf was at 80%, then said regen now.I turned on my diesel injector and within a minute my display said regen in progress.As time went by it showed a progress report showing the percentage drop,After a awhile it said regen complete,I turned my injector off and all was well.I had my scanner hooked up the hole trip so I was able to watch the egts from all 4 temp sensors as it was in regen.So Iam very happy it all worked as it should

I have wasted alot of time on me turbo/DEF problem.I will have to find a newer actuator for the turbo.So there are a few codes I will not beable to work on.I got started on some other codes.I started with seeing what I could do with the cam sensor.After tring different things I realized there is a link between the cam sensor and the electronic throttle control.My light has been on in the dash since I got the truck put together,I just thought it was due to another code.So anyways I decided I really do not have a choice,I had to figure something out.There was no way I was going to pull the cam,make a tone ring for it and then have to deal with fabricating something onto there gear case to house the sensor.So what I ended up doing was making a tone ring to mount onto the front of my pump gear and making a sensor mount onto the front of the gear case cover.It was the easyer way to go ,This way if I have to adjust it I can get to it.I hope to have it back together tomorrow.Here are a couple pics

Attachments

• DSCF1469.jpg
    DSCF1469.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1470.jpg
    DSCF1470.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1471.jpg
    DSCF1471.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 0
Overall it was a good day.The tone ring I made did its job,I have no more cam related codes.My electronic throttle control light goes out now but does come back on,it tends to turn back on when coming to a stop.I will focus on my fuel pressure related codes tomorrow

I have spent the last 2 days working on fuel rail related codes,as of tonight I have pretty much got it under control.I am down to a fuel rail pressure to low,which is minimal to what I have had to deal with.I did also get rid of the electronic throttle control warning light.I am down to 8 codes, 2 are minor which I will leave to the end and 4 are related to one problem which I will be starting on tomorrow.I will address the turbo again once I get a few more codes dealt with.

Since firing up this truck for the first time on this part of the project I have had 5 codes relating to my nox 1 and nox 2 performance.It was same to say my nox levels were to high for the programmed levels for the nox moduals.My scanner showed both nox 1 and 2 were off line and that my nox one levels were ranging beween 3100 to 1400 ppm. I have spent the last week trying to bring those numbers down,I have worked with my timing,air/fuel ratio and injector pop pressure.I have lowered the nox 1 levels to 1400-450 ppm. As of today from a stop to 55mph my nox 1 comes back on line and will feather in and out while keeping at 55mph.I have along ways to go but that has been a big accomplishment.I have not had nox 2 come online yet.I ended up putting a stock 145hp set of vp44 injectors in set at 320bar.So far the pump is doing good,there is a power increase between this set and a set set at 145bar.

I do drive this truck every day,as it is right now I put no less than 250 miles each day doing test runs.I have had this truck for almost 7 years now,I plan on keeping it. I should point out that in my last post I said the injectors I put in now set at 320bar have more hp than a stock set at 145bar, I meant 245bar.

are both of those injectors the same size just different pop pressures?

how did adjusting the pump to get NOX levels down affect power and mileage?

what sort of timing are you running, do you get any smoke out the exhaust with the filters in place?

why are you doing this with the emissions stuff? the challenge ?

are both of those injectors the same size just different pop pressures?

how did adjusting the pump to get NOX levels down affect power and mileage?

what sort of timing are you running, do you get any smoke out the exhaust with the filters in place?

why are you doing this with the emissions stuff? the challenge ?

The injectors sets are both the same size.I am all over the place when it comes to adjustments,Iam trying anything and everything to see what affects if any on Nox levels.As far as timing goes the more advanced it was the higher the nox levels.Nothing I have done at the moment is permanent.Just when I think I may have a understanding of one thing I get pushed further back.Originaly I thought if I brought the inlet nox levels down to around 650ppm that would be in range,well thats not exactly how its working out,650ppm at certain conditions is in range. My last test run last night I started at 1000ppm ,as everything warmed up it settled around 700ppm and when I parked they settled at 500ppm.AT idle ,at 500ppm nox 1 was out of range.So at the moment I think the levels will have to be less than 250 at idle on nox 1.This is just a gues. There is no smoke at the tail pipe.

flame me if you want but what is the purpose of doing all this seem like a lot of work,
I understand if you want to just see if you could do this but it mind boggling to me. why not just buy 07+

I skipped a lot of your build, but are you sure the injectors are spraying in the bowl of the piston? What spray angles are the 6.7l injectors?

no I didn't join to ask why. I joined cause I recently purchased my first Cummins. I herd that this was the superior forum compared to cumminsform.com, and was reading what other people are doing and stuff and this just seemed to me to be awful lot of work. I do admire the workman ship this guy is doing. But just seem to me to be going overboard.

Back