Weight Box Mount Help

nskyline34

I DID go through the "lets see your weight rack" thread and didnt fully answer my questions. I'm wondering how people are mounting their weight boxes? I was thinking about making basically a front hitch receiver with 2 - 2" receivers in it, but I read that all the receivers are only rated to 500# vertical loading, which tells me this is probably because of the frame rails. I'm wondering what you guys are doing as far as beefing up the frame rails and how yours are all being hung? I like my idea I'm just wondering about mounting to the frame in a sturdy enough way so that I dont have to bending then ends at all?

Thanks

Not trying to highjack the ops thread, but I also am looking for ideas. I have a reg cab dodge and am looking to be in the area of around 3K out front (box, fuel, water, ice, battery, steering pump, etc.)

I know many people just weld it up solid and don't make it removable. I was gonna use like bigger square tubing and put flanges around the outside and make it slide in and then bolt together. Just some ideas..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The plates on in the pics start at the front spring pocket and go forward. They are welded to the frame and also plated on top and bottom of frame. No flex what so ever and you can lift the front of the truck up and move it around easily if needed. The weight box unbolts so it can be moved out of the way to take the engine out. Might be a bit overkill.

Attachments

• 0513131105.jpg
    0513131105.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 0513131346.jpg
    0513131346.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 0
I am a Boss snowplow dealer, so I had peices of a Dodge undercarrage kicking around that I am using. I had the short recievers welded to the frame last season, this season I'm trying to build a box to get all my stuff out front. (ice, batteries, fuel, steering pump) So I've decided to start with that and go from there. I can get some pics tomorrow, but they mount to the three bumper holes and the one for the rear bumper brace. Braced it up with some weld and I think it's pretty good. We will see.

I am a Boss snowplow dealer, so I had peices of a Dodge undercarrage kicking around that I am using. I had the short recievers welded to the frame last season, this season I'm trying to build a box to get all my stuff out front. (ice, batteries, fuel, steering pump) So I've decided to start with that and go from there. I can get some pics tomorrow, but they mount to the three bumper holes and the one for the rear bumper brace. Braced it up with some weld and I think it's pretty good. We will see.

I had mine bolted to the frame last year with around 2K# and it creased the frame and pulled 3 (5/8) grade 8 bolts. That's why I'm looking for idea's and am going to weld them on this year since I'm looking to get close to 2800-3000# on the nose. So keep the idea's coming

The plates on in the pics start at the front spring pocket and go forward. They are welded to the frame and also plated on top and bottom of frame. No flex what so ever and you can lift the front of the truck up and move it around easily if needed. The weight box unbolts so it can be moved out of the way to take the engine out. Might be a bit overkill.

That looks like it will hold. Have any pics of inside the frame?

Do people successfully hang 3000 lbs. on a dodge front end? I feel like that asking quite a bit out of the front end components.

I used an old plow mount and I hung 1400 off of it, another guy in my class reg cab had 2300 i believe

This has held a good amount of weight.

IMG_20131120_134625_805_zpsllhlk5cf.jpg

IMG_20131120_142239_246_zpsnry25f1z.jpg

Do people successfully hang 3000 lbs. on a dodge front end? I feel like that asking quite a bit out of the front end components.

I guess I will find out. I have a reg cab that has alot of items missing and/or replaced for weight savings. I had 2300# +/- last season. It is probly not good for the front end but us reg cab guys need that to stay up with the cclb trucks, or aleast around me we do.

There are a lot of trucks that hang 2-3k off the front of the truck. 2k isn't out of line for a 2nd gen ext cab long box. There isn't really and reason why these classes need to be 8000 lb anymore in my opinion.

We have two receiver mounts on ours but on the next one I am going bigger. It has held for 5 seasons but as more and more weight gets put up front I worry about it. It flexes about 1" when they pick up the front of the truck at the indoor pull to move it around.

97crewcab, you have any pics of how your reciver is mounted? Reg cab shooting for 3k

I don't think I have any pictures of that specific area. It is basically what you are seeing here. 2 receiver tubes with a lot of bracing around them as well as bracing on the frame in that associated area.

I think we are going to bring the mounts out to the weight box this time. Same idea of what you are seeing on kjp's pics. It isn't as handy because you will still have the supports out the front of the truck but I do think it is a better idea for a dedicated puller.

Last edited:
Really wish theyd drop back to 7500lbs.... theres no need to have these trucks that heavy when most 2.6 trucks are stripped down. My RCLB weighs like 5500 without added weights. Guess that's a different argument....

I have to get some pictures of my mount I use to unbolt mine if I wanted to but now its all welded in. I used a 2" receiver tube but I plated the front the frame with angle iron and welded it to the frame. But the hardest part is when your hauling the truck to a pull and don't have to box supported on the trailer will crack them the little time your going down the truck is nothing

A lot of really good info here guys, thanks for all the replies/advice on all this. I have finally decided on a design for the box, and am going to use 2" square x 5/16" wall tubing for the two 'bars' that go from the box that slide into the receivers on the truck. I think that this should be plenty strong enough.

JL Builders - What is the tubing size/wall that slides into the receivers on the frame? Just want to make sure I'm in the right ball park.

Also I think that I'm going to weld some 1/4" plate on the insides of the frame and going to weld some angle iron on the receiver so that I can bolt the receiver to the front cross member that ties the frame rails together as well. I read someone had issues creasing the frame with (3) 5/8" bolts, I think that I'm going to try and get 3 on each frame rail and then 3 or 4 in the front cross member (which will be beefed up with some 1/4" plate too). I know its hard to understand from what I'm saying but I will try and get some pics posted up, but in the mean time here are my box ideas, please let me know the thoughts:

[ame="http://s1316.photobucket.com/user/andrewaustinsanders/media/hitch_zps05aef765.jpg.html"]hitch_zps05aef765.jpg Photo by andrewaustinsanders | Photobucket[/ame]

[ame="http://s1316.photobucket.com/user/andrewaustinsanders/media/back_zps3c2a7219.jpg.html"]back_zps3c2a7219.jpg Photo by andrewaustinsanders | Photobucket[/ame]

[ame="http://s1316.photobucket.com/user/andrewaustinsanders/media/IMG_03361_zps2a0f23e9.jpg.html"]IMG_03361_zps2a0f23e9.jpg Photo by andrewaustinsanders | Photobucket[/ame]

Also there is the pic of the receiver I'm going to buy and then modify... might add another 1 or 2 mounting points for the sides of the frame.
Also I realized the amount of weight i'm looking to hand (1200-1500# is childs play compared to some of you so I feel a little better about my ideas now).

Also - ramtough01 - I'm only going to have the box on the truck going down the road (400-500# and going to support with a jack) and then before going across the scales I will put the weights in it

Last edited:
Back