What transmission to out behind a mild built 6.7l daily.

Jgray.Proaudio

Don't Trust Nixon
After G56 swapping a year ago 5th gear completely stripped Saturday. Quick question before my phone dies is what should go in next? Truck is around 650-700hp with goals for around 900+, don't plan on putting a 68 back in, torn on doing a 48 swap.. I'm thinking some a little more special but I want it to be the last transmission I have to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For some reason my phone changed "put" to "out"... Let's just play along...

At 900 rwhp, I think you'll get the most reliability out of the 48re.

Staying at the 650-700 range, you could get a 5r110 or 6spd Allison 1000 though.

I would do 48 no question if it's a drag truck.. But being my daily and driving around 30k a year (lots of highway) I like the idea of 6sp better, either A1000 or 68rfe

What exactly makes a 48re drag truck only material?

What exactly makes a 48re drag truck only material?

He wants a 6 speed since its his daily driver.

I dont see why a well built Allison wouldnt be the way to go. If built by someone who knows what they are doing they are very stout transmissions.

48_zpsdc41ea40.png

68_zps8163903c.png

It's not like it gets you better mileage on the expressway. OD is very similar.
If it was as robust, it'd be better since there's more range of gears and a very very low reverse, but I haven't seen too many guys make them live long at 800hp let alone higher than that.

He wants a 6 speed since its his daily driver.

I dont see why a well built Allison wouldnt be the way to go. If built by someone who knows what they are doing they are very stout transmissions.

x2, just expensive.

I've thought about the NV, and I know shops making billet shafts, billet gears, carbon fiber synchros. I had a hell of a time with southbend and their triple disk, I'm pretty sure the reason I lost 5th was from the clutch not disengaging, I'm not sure I want to put $8k into an NV that can get screwed up with a simple mistake. Plus my daily commute is around 120 miles.

NV4500 then. Tough as nails, you lose a gear, but you can actually make it live...

Other than that, 48RE, Allison, or some other expensive option.

Unless you want to make an Eaton Fuller fit.
Chris

48 OD is 0.69
68 OD is 0.63
A1000 6sp OD is 0.61

I know of come witch craft standalone 68rfe controllers, I wonder how a 48 or 4r100 with a gear vendors would work.. I still have to keep 4x4 because Colorado.

Lol.. I've tossed the Eaton idea around.. Lot of work. Don't think I could quick shift one either.

Honestly your at a point that any transmission you choose is going to have issues, IDC if its a ford,chevy for dodge base transmission.

Depending on your driving style and what your towing any transmission isnt going to live a happy life behind a 900hp motor.

If it was me 48re and have a saving for WHEN it goes out.

I don't tie with the truck. All stock 01 24v ho dually is the tow rig. This is strictly a daily / drive across he country rig.

I am still not following how a 48re isnt daily driver material. What makes that a drag race only trans option? An nv4500 is pointless with 900hp IMO. Some will disagree but 900hp and a gear jammer isn't any quicker than a comparable auto truck with 700hp. Been there done that with a nv4500 and a hot truck. It is like having sex for the first time...quick escalation to climax and you're on to the next gear. Plus you will constantly worry about or in fact explode an nv4500 if you do any playing in 3rd or 5th.

Solution if I was in your shoes:

Build 48re.

Park truck unless necessary

Buy older tdi jetta to make the long commute.

Last edited:
Back