What transmission to out behind a mild built 6.7l daily.

I am still not following how a 48re isnt daily driver material. What makes that a drag race only trans option? An nv4500 is pointless with 900hp IMO. Some will disagree but 900hp and a gear jammer isn't any quicker than a comparable auto truck with 700hp. Been there done that with a nv4500 and a hot truck. It is like having sex for the first time...quick escalation to climax and you're on to the next gear. Plus you will constantly worry about or in fact explode an nv4500 if you do any playing in 3rd or 5th.

Solution if I was in your shoes:

Build 48re.

Park truck unless necessary

Buy older tdi jetta to make the long commute.

Other than the buying a tdi part, this guy is spot on.

If you want to pull heavy, worry about having 6 gears. If you want something quick and just to drive around, 4 gears are plenty.

Other than the buying a tdi part, this guy is spot on.

If you want to pull heavy, worry about having 6 gears. If you want something quick and just to drive around, 4 gears are plenty.

Yeah I just threw the tdi part in there because it is what I did when I wanted something comfortable for a commute.

Yeah I just threw the tdi part in there because it is what I did when I wanted something comfortable for a commute.

I have a fully sound dampened cab. '14 Laramie seats, built everything in the interior to exactly how I like it. I like driving this more then my 31mpg Subaru.

I also haul a LOT from my house to work and back. So the truck has to be driven most days and all winter once the snow falls.

I'm worried about the 4r100 swap idea.. I've herd it's a tuning heII and only ATS is doing the tuning.. I live about 40min away from their shop tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't tie with the truck. All stock 01 24v ho dually is the tow rig. This is strictly a daily / drive across he country rig.

I have a fully sound dampened cab. '14 Laramie seats, built everything in the interior to exactly how I like it. I like driving this more then my 31mpg Subaru.

I also haul a LOT from my house to work and back. So the truck has to be driven most days and all winter once the snow falls.

I'm worried about the 4r100 swap idea.. I've herd it's a tuning heII and only ATS is doing the tuning.. I live about 40min away from their shop tho.

What exactly are you hauling if you do not tow with it? I understand you have a very nice truck you would like to drive more so than a car but expecting a 900hp truck to drive like a commuter car is a bit far fetched. Your options are:

an nv4500 that may or may not hold the power and isn't my choice for something that sees a lot of snow

an a1000 that requires an expensive build and expensive parts for the swap

4r100 that you are worried about tuning

48re that is swapped into trucks almost daily and can be built to reliably hold 1000hp for a reasonable amount of money.

I guess I am still going back to someone explaining why a 48re is suddenly a drag truck only setup??? What is steering you away from the 48re setup exactly?

What exactly are you hauling if you do not tow with it? I understand you have a very nice truck you would like to drive more so than a car but expecting a 900hp truck to drive like a commuter car is a bit far fetched. Your options are:

an nv4500 that may or may not hold the power and isn't my choice for something that sees a lot of snow

an a1000 that requires an expensive build and expensive parts for the swap

4r100 that you are worried about tuning

48re that is swapped into trucks almost daily and can be built to reliably hold 1000hp for a reasonable amount of money.

I guess I am still going back to someone explaining why a 48re is suddenly a drag truck only setup??? What is steering you away from the 48re setup exactly?

48 isn't only a drag setup. I just said that if I was going to race the truck it would be no question for the 48.

I part out trucks at my house, end up 'hauling' seats, dashs, axles, transmissions to the shop.

I know the A1000 swap is expensive but from my little knowledge about the Alison is they arn't rocket science to build like a 68 is.

I had absolutely no quarrels with driving a 48 at 900+ hp. If anything, the extra power makes up for the lack of close ratio. 5000-8000 lb trailers weren't a problem. If I were regularly pulling 15k+ trailers, then I'd be looking for extra gears. I also wouldn't be looking for 900 hp in that situation either.

I guess I'm the only one here that truly has never been pleased with any Allison. I do not like an adaptive trans.

There would be no question about it if it were my truck.
48re all day every day. The others don't even seem like options to me.

I guess I'm the only one here that truly has never been pleased with any Allison. I do not like an adaptive trans.

I've never had one so I can't say either way. But that's why I'm here asking. What haven't you liked about it?

900+hp plus a 15k trailer sounds like 4wd burn outs for days.. (Days depending on how long the transmission lasts) lol

I've never had one so I can't say either way. But that's why I'm here asking. What haven't you liked about it?

900+hp plus a 15k trailer sounds like 4wd burn outs for days.. (Days depending on how long the transmission lasts) lol

I've never had a built 48 myself either. Been around some and I'll say I've only had manuals and never the hp of yours and I'd never put an nv in a truck and try to drive it at 900hp. Never...

The constant changing and never knowing when or what an Allison is gonna do does not set well with me. I've never liked the feel.

I've never had a built 48 myself either. Been around some and I'll say I've only had manuals and never the hp of yours and I'd never put an nv in a truck and try to drive it at 900hp. Never...

The constant changing and never knowing when or what an Allison is gonna do does not set well with me. I've never liked the feel.

My Subaru changes the "tune"ish depending on how I drive it. Absolute hate it. Do the Allisons still do that with a PSC controller?

My Subaru changes the "tune"ish depending on how I drive it. Absolute hate it. Do the Allisons still do that with a PSC controller?

That I'm not sure of and didn't even think about it till you mentioned it. I just see the cost/swap/everything else being so much simpler with a 48 and they are well known to hold the power.

Sounds like you guys need to really hook some weight behind these trucks if you want to know how they really act. Towing to me is 40K gross or better. Really makes the transmission pick a gear and work.

There is only one combo I like better than a Duramax/Allison for towing...and that's a 12v/NV5600.

Sounds like it's either a bastardized Allison for you, or a 48RE
Chris

Sounds like you guys need to really hook some weight behind these trucks if you want to know how they really act. Towing to me is 40K gross or better. Really makes the transmission pick a gear and work.

There is only one combo I like better than a Duramax/Allison for towing...and that's a 12v/NV5600.

Chris

One again.. Not a tow rig. Street, daily, highway truck.

My Audi was the same way. I'd have to pull the battery to reset it after a week of commuting. I believe if you use a stand alone (like you would after a swap), you don't get that though.

BTW, the 4r100 is exactly as tunable as a 48re IMO.

Chris

I know what towing is but that's not what this is about. For towing I'll go vp and 5600 all day.

I would do a 47re swap, the cores are easier to find than 48's, the core is cheaper to begin with, and the 47re can easily be built to handle 900 HP. If you ever broke a 5 pinion planet in the 47re, then swap in the more expensive 6 pinion 48re planetaries and freshen it up while you're in there because any transmission will need regular checkups behind a 900 HP daily driver with a hotrod behind the wheel.

I would do a 47re swap, the cores are easier to find than 48's, the core is cheaper to begin with, and the 47re can easily be built to handle 900 HP. If you ever broke a 5 pinion planet in the 47re, then swap in the more expensive 6 pinion 48re planetaries and freshen it up while you're in there because any transmission will need regular checkups behind a 900 HP daily driver with a hotrod behind the wheel.

I have both 47re and 48re cores at the shop waiting to be built. Tried to call around today and do a little 48 shopping but was to busy doing a 6.oh

Its not a tuning hell; IMO its actually no more difficult to tune than a 48RE with a standalone VB/PCS setup. Lots of people can help you tune a 4R

Just do a 48RE and be done with it.

Its not a tuning hell; IMO its actually no more difficult to tune than a 48RE with a standalone VB/PCS setup. Lots of people can help you tune a 4R

Just do a 48RE and be done with it.

I'm glad to here this.. For some reason I was miss informed that only ATS could do the 4r100 swap tuning and it was a PITA. I assume for the swap you just run a PSC controller and tuning is very similar to a 48re tuning.

Back