Will it make 400hp???

Cummins12Club

Happy Dinosaur
I'm building a set up for my friend currently, he wants to make a solid 400hp, on a somewhat budget build, this is what I've got for it so far, 5x18 injectors with proper pop pressure, edge filters removed and penel lift, the pump is already done, I installed a m&h stage 3 fuel pin, a 4200 gov spring (354) and did all the pump tricks to max it out, timing is at stock currently for that is all he has done so far, it will be runing an air dog 150 set at 15psi, the trans is getting rebuild currently sticking with the non lock up 518 but running a manual valve body new converter so on and so forth, I am pretty confident he has enough fuel for 400hp the thing I'm up in the air about is turbo selection, he wants to stay with a single and he wants to be able to tow light trailers ocasionally, my first choice was an s362 (62/65/14cm) but I also like the idea more of an s300g (58mm inducer I believe I know those chargers light almost instantly and I know egts would never be a problem but I'm afraid it would run out of air with that before making 400hp, also up in the air on timing I had mine to the head and it seemed to run well (dynoing only 321) my other friend has his to the head and a tooth advanced and it just seems like it really falls on its face hard at 2800rpm because he's running an hx35, any input is appreciated

I doubt it'll do 400. It sounds like a great driving setup for a 1st Gen, but 400 rwhp is pretty stout for a 12mm VE. What converter?

With a quick spooling set of twins or a hot 300g I can see 400hp. Quick spoolong being HX35/S366.

A tight converter something w a 1400 stall, and I know the 300g's have made 450hp on a manual p pump truck, my twins wouldn't light untill 1800 and I made 321/800 w a junk worn out trans I feel if I could get his to light around 14-500 and w a good trans 400 is possible

And are you running a single s366 on the truck in your sig? How does it light? I have a 364 / 65 14 and I'm worried it won't light at all so I haven't installed it yet.

I was runing it, I went from twins to it and loved it, it would light at 15-600 no problem and made 45psi pretty dang fast It felt faster, hard to tell cause trans was so wore out by that point and I only made 2 trips with it and broke my flex plate doing a 4wd launch there is a guy local to me w your sane charger idk what his fuel set up is exactly but I know it's 12mm he has gone 13.20 w an ATS non lock up auto in a 2wd reg cab dually and he spins off the launch I'd say its a good 13flat truck if he would run slicks and he really likes his 64

Oh and you can buy the transgo TFOD3 manual valve body kit and have some one install it my good friend is awesome with transmissions, so he's doing my other friends valve body

Well yours is a 727 it has a little dif valve body, call turbo action and buy there complete manual valve body

Yeah I've looked at turbo action tci huges and every other brand I can find just haven't decided yet. Thanks for the input on the charger looking forward to installing it now. Who's injectors are you gonna run in your buddy's truck. I have the same goal of hp so I'm gonna watch this thread close.

Quick spoolong being HX35/S366.

I tried this setup, it barely kept +40s below 1300 degrees. It literally just chokes out.

400 hp can be done. I'm still trying to get there, and that is my goal for my 12mm ve. I used the hp calculator with my ET and weight, and it had me at 390 rwhp. I had a late shifting issue that I think could have brought my ET down a little.
As for the timing I jumped a tooth and went to the head once, neve again! The truck did just as your describing, it fell on it's face after about 25-2700 rpm. If you hook the ksb on a toggle, one way to check if your overadvanced is to see if you lose power with it on.
S300g is a great charger, but not for all out hp with a ve. You will hit a wall where it just can't do anymore. Now as a secondary in a set of compounds, it would be a great turbo.
Currently I'm running a s366/68-.8AR t3 gated. It spools ok for what I was expecting. And my truck feels stronger in the midrange and top end than it did with the hx35/hx55 twins.
I'm not sure about the ideal turbo as I just through mine together. But I'm sure a 62-64mm charger would supply enough air, and spool better than my charger.

Ill let you know how my 64/65/14 does I need a cheap lp and some big boy injectors still though.

Id try a 63/68/14. I've ran a 62/71/14, ATS 4K turbo, and a 64/71/14. The 64 by far has been the funnest, the 62 had better street manners. The ats turbo was a total waste of money imo. I'm getting the 63/68 to try on my 1stgen, but it will probably end up on my 01 and the 64 going back to the 1stgen. I've got DDP comp injectors. I had then built for a p pumped engine(was planning on p pumping my 1stgen) but on 1stgen bodies. They are 5x.016's or .017's. Don't remeber. I think they flow around 76 to 78 lpm. I've towed with the current setup but with a lot of help fron W/M.

I made 449rwhp with a 57mm (Aurora A3K) on my p-pump truck at 50psi so a bigger turbo isn't always an answer. I say bump the timing to the head, skip a tooth, and throw on a turbo with a tight housing that will make lots of boost.

Give er timing. For daily driving, run it to the head or jumped a tooth, on dyno day, do both and get past that 2500 rpm sputter and things will go nuts, trust me. I agree with going with a tight exhaust housing, a 62mm or 64mm would be probably as big as ya want with a daily driver. There's times I've thought my truck ran the best or felt like it did with just an HE351.

Give er timing. For daily driving, run it to the head or jumped a tooth, on dyno day, do both and get past that 2500 rpm sputter and things will go nuts, trust me. I agree with going with a tight exhaust housing, a 62mm or 64mm would be probably as big as ya want with a daily driver. There's times I've thought my truck ran the best or felt like it did with just an HE351.

X2. I run mine close to the head( + a tooth) at the track. It will spit and sputter like no other. For a rough estimate, jump a tooth, and put it between stock and to the head timing for big (for a VE) injectors.

A tight converter something w a 1400 stall, and I know the 300g's have made 450hp on a manual p pump truck, my twins wouldn't light untill 1800 and I made 321/800 w a junk worn out trans I feel if I could get his to light around 14-500 and w a good trans 400 is possible

I agree that 400 is absolutely possible, and I don't think you're far off.

Also, you can't base a whole lot on what other trucks do with a certain charger ( re: your manual/p7100 ref.)...Garmon has made over 500 to the rubber on an HX35 with a p-pump truck. Granted, it was clearly not a streetable setup, but it made the number regardless. Similarly, I don't form any expectations as to what my P-Pump truck will do with a certain charger based on what a CR 5.9 has done with one.

Currently I'm running a s366/68-.8AR t3 gated. It spools ok for what I was expecting. And my truck feels stronger in the midrange and top end than it did with the hx35/hx55 twins.

Just curious...what made you ditch the twins for a 366? Weren't you right at the 400 hp mark with the hx35/55?

It's a long story, but here goes!
I has the s366/68 with a 1.10non gated housing laying around from my first twins. It was such a terrible setup I would even give it away. I moved on to the hx55 setup and it cooled my ddp3s awesome. I made 330/660 with those sticks.
Then with the 6x16s I made 360/720 but the truck was overtimed. I talked with stomp and he suggested ditching my primary for something larger. So I was going to build a whole new twin setup. I had another s360/68 laying around that I thought would make a good secondary with a s472-5, but the turbine housing was a 1.AR, way too big.
So I bought a .8ar gated housing through RCCummins89 to get parts rounded up. And I got to thinking I wonder how my old s366 would be as a single, so throw it in the new housing until I can get around to buying a new primary, and build a new set of twins.

And that's what makes time travel possible!

Back