Willys Tow Rig

After seeing this I am definitely 99% sure that this head indeed isn't flat at all. So it's off to the machine shop tomorrow, curious to hear how far out it was.

What I am still confused about is how does a blown gasket on the drivers side lead to pushing oil out the passenger side? Anyone have any insight to this? Also confused on why the gasket is separating and bubbling up in areas that aren't clamped between the block and head. Was this just a bad gasket? I'm pretty confident that it was a genuine cummins gasket after watching a few comparison videos.

I'm pretty sure that at least one of these ports had to of been blown since the first drive. It was burning blue smoke quite a bit and I had ridiculous blow by. I was just telling myself that it was only because this engine didn't even have 100 miles on it and the rings needed time to seat, plus I have read that some blue smoke can be attributed to cold diesel and it has been in the high 20s, low 30s. Apparently I was wrong...

Ok.... SO. I believe I have found the problem! Freakin 2-5 all blown out between the cylinder and oil port.

223BB919-851B-435D-9731-C70F175F44FD_zpseuypiie8.jpg

B592E74A-E5C7-4CFA-A2DD-05D8D792ADC1_zps2etm7baz.jpg

9EA6C616-72F0-4069-BF4D-5BE13E38EA90_zpsmzn9db1n.jpg

ECA5C6BF-F682-4A0D-9A1B-CDDBB05BDE5F_zpskv0leir9.jpg

88328CD6-77B2-468E-B905-3B93E1B8A36B_zpsovfyjnpl.jpg

F8ED1D31-7975-4C6F-8FF1-D85E3FA366A1_zpsffixzobf.jpg
When was the last retorque and how it was done?

Something smart goes here

3 retorques over a weeks time while the engine was waiting to be installed. 1 warm retorque after I got the engine fired up and up to temp. Torqued to 130 lbs where I started to feel some bolt stretch from the SHCS. Used the Cummins torque sequence.

Is that an aluminum exhaust manifold? Do you see any creep from the gas temps and cantilevered turbo?

Ah, it's just painted a silver color. It looked like oxidized aluminum from the picture.

Drove the truck home today in about 6" of snow. No heater. No windshield wipers. It actually worked out well that I didn't have either. Lol kept the snow from melting and sticking to the windshield. Instead it just blew off. I comfortably did 55mph comfortably on the country road most of the way home. I am very happy with how it handled!

Bet it feels good to have it back together again! Remind me what you've done on suspension? I thought you used 2.5" RR Kings, but looking back through your build I didn't see it. Maybe I have this confused with something else...

Housing turned out to be backwards. All though it was still blowing ok, I decided to flip the housing around anyways, it actually made it a tad easier to fit under the hood.

061A57F7-2C06-4F2D-999F-DA8C5B1F47CB_zpshczv1ve5.jpg

0C4A6E23-F32D-4239-AFFA-7C71D753B5C1_zps6xoyxbyp.jpg

C3C7843C-750A-4698-BE5E-AF3ACE87C57D_zpsflbldlr2.jpg

Drove it home and had decent heat even without the ducting hooked up. I need to rework the hoses, one of them is kinked a little bit causing inadequate flow of fresh hot coolant.

Last edited:
That hvac box is sweet! It's cool when folks make custom stuff and then show how it was done. I like the D.I.Y. Attitude. I see you have a plasma table there, but I'm not all that familiar with the setup. What computer program does it use?

Thanks. I do have fun doing it most days. Lol The tools I have available to me definitely make this type of work ALOT easier and more enjoyable.

This is actually a 2500 watt CO2 laser. We picked it up about 11 months ago. Not as cool as the newer fiber optic lasers, but it gets the job done and way better than our plasma table. I used Solidworks for modeling and Pronest for nesting parts on the sheets.

Last edited:
Back