Window tint?

CumminAtYa said:
They just passed the seat belt law for trucks (it used to be cars only) and sometimes I don't want to wear my damn seat belt. I don't think the government should be able to tell you that you have to wear your seat belt. It does not endanger other drivers on the road like driving under the influence or something like that. Jerks.

I hate the mandatory seat belt law too.

A guy can be riding a motorcycle around here with no helmet, shorts, and a t-shirt (I would imagine at least shoes are required) and be perfectly legal. He could be in a small wreck and wind up assuming room temperature. Yet I have to wear my seatbelt or they can pull me over and write a ticket. What is wrong with this picture?

tony597fitter said:
The officer made my buddies wife tear her tint off the two front windows on I-294 about a year ago.
I just got pulled over for speeding (8 mph over), and the officer told me that my tint on the front windows was illegal and he wanted me to take it off right on the spot. I aked him if he had any kind of a law in writing telling me that I had to do it on the spot. He kind of bumbled around in his car, and came back and gave me a warning. He said he didnt have time to look for the laws.
I know in Illinois its illegal to have the front side windows done, but all they can do is fine you the first 3 times then it has to be removed.
He also said my exhaust was illegal 4" turboback. I asked him if he even realized it was a diesel, and he said no. Then he tells me its ok on a diesel.
He was just knitpicking.

I take it that it was a State Trooper on 294?

Some troopers don't like my truck....something about the height, the tires sticking out with no flares, no mudflaps, etc... However the trooper who pulled me over didn't know the height laws real well so when I told her that she was wrong and what my restrictions were she came back with a warning....after refusing to measure my truck :D
That's the last time I pass up a cop on the interstate who's going too slow LOL

I had a local cop bust me for tint after 2.5 years of 5% w/ 35% on the front doors.

If you think passing a cop going to slow and getting a ticket is bad, try having one tailgate you for 2 miles then rearend you cause your exhaust brake came on "accidentally".:evil That was a 3 month nightmare, but worth every cent the state gave back to me:D She claimed my brake lights didn't work and thats why she rear ended me, and I said she was a no driving witch and showed her that my brake lights worked. 2 court dates later, the state of MO sent me a check to buy me a new rear bumper. :thankyou2: :rockwoot:

dang i had double limo on my cc f250 and got pulled over and got a $120 ticket down here in Texas and was pissed but apparently that aint nothing to some of these fines

I used to have 20 percent on all windows (except windshield). I loved it, but it just got too hard to see out of at night. I have perfect vision, but I live in a rural town with street lights that dont work. I now have 35 on the front, and stock "smoked glass" in the rear. I hate it, but I can see now.

The cops here in TN are really cracking down on making sure that our sunstrips are legal. My buddy's was 2" past his AS1 line on his windshield, and they made him tear it off on the side of the highway.

The cops around here are really lenient with the tint laws. The only time they might ticket you for it is if you get pulled over for speeding or something and they just want to tack the illegal tint fine on with the rest of it. Lots of guys around here have sunstrips on the top and bottom of the front glass, and a few have %35 on the front windshield as well. I personally prefer about a 6-8 inch sun strip on the front, and 5% on the rest. I feel so naked when i ride in a vehicle that doesnt have tinted windows.

Here's an old pic of mine 3 weeks after I got the truck....and that was about 3 years ago!

sizeimage.php

i just had mine tinted 5% about 2 months ago and I told the installer i wanted to be legal and he told me Oklahoma tint laws had changed since alot of unmarked cops had limo tint on them now, they had to change the law so basically there was no "legal" limit for the side windows. I did however get pulled over for the front strip at the top (on the wifes car) being below the line.
I really like the 5% tint...its a little hard to see out at night but only in areas that aren't lite up too well.

There are some cop cars around here, especially in a town west of Indy called Avon where they have 5% tint. It makes little sense to break the laws you're supposed to enforce, IMO.

Unless recently changed theres a funny little thing about GA's tint law that isn't mentioned in the previous link....

32% applies to any driver from any state that happens to be driving in the state of Georgia regardless if you are from FL where 20% might be legal!!!

Now why would they pass and enforce a law in GA that supersedes a vehicle owners home state tint
laws? [law maker's and fuzz's position] For the officer's safety and how dare you not know that!

As a news ho, the last time I recall an officer was shot through (a major contributing factor) dark limo type tint was the early90's and after that they enforced the existing tint laws for about two years.

Now back to 2007 and the 2006 tint laws if these new laws for any vehicle traveling through GA were really written for the officers safety it seems like we could find some instance around 2004 or 2005 where an officer might have actually stubbed his thumb while approaching a vehicle because its tint was less than 32%??

I'm all for officer safety at night or even during the day but unless your windshield is tinted top to bottom in limo tint along with every window in the vehicle (and they are all rolled up) his little halogen disco lights will shine right through your dark tinted glass showing peculiar movement that would put him on a higher level of alert.

And lets face it when its pitch black that LEO parked behind you isn't wanting to read you DL number through the glass 15 yards away he simply wants to see if there is anything out of the ordinary in the composure/movement/body language of every subject in the vehicle.

Of course the naysayers will say I'm wrong but if that's the case why is it everyone I know including myself and my brother that has been warned or fined for illegal tint since 2006 has not NOT been asked to peel his illegal tint off but simply asked to sign a warning or pay a fine? If cops were actually dying I can assure you we would be peeling and peeling and peeling.......and I wouldn't have a single complaint.

Could it be the revenue generators that sit perpendicular in the median on the interstate at such an angle that: radar isn't worth a chit, registration on tags can't be read nor can simple drifting across the yellow line (all magical things which lead to probable cause for a stop which would then lead to probable cause for searches which once in a blue moon turn up enough millions to by not only the LEO's new crown vic's but sometimes the 9/11 operators too)? Radio, I'm unclear....

Now if you have a vague tint law saying you can pullover any car registered in any state because in your experience, as a professional LEO sitting perpendicular in the median with the K9 stickered windows, you felt that car running 74 MPH in a 70 in the center lane on an overcast day that happened to have TX plates with two Hispanics in it hidden by suspicious window tint should be checked!

I'll quit wasting my time because a good friend of mine who is a former LEO and now works in the DA's office point blank said its probable cause when there is nothing else to light him up on.

Last edited:
In Wisconsin they can fine you 2 points an 175.00. Check your local laws. There are some officers that look just for vehicle violations.

never heard that but also never had a problem with cops and tint i have 15% on my gasser and i love it and theres like 35% on my cummins but i am going to get that darker and get the sunstrip to just makes it alot nice in the summer

So according to them, everyone that has windows which are tinted too dark are trading illegal arms, puffing on a chong sized doobie or snorting lines off the center console?! The windows of my truck I recently bought are already tinted, but I'm still undecided if I will tint them any darker. At this point I don't have much more of a reason to other than the look, which I like. I plan to tint the windows of my work van dark enough that you can't see in, mainly because I want to keep prowling eyes from scoping my tools that I often keep in it, not because I'm hauling a bunch of automatic weapons or hundreds of pounds of weed or hiding a mobile meth lab. Idiots. Tax dollars could be spent in so many better ways than ticketing/fining perfectly normal non-violent and drug running citizens for something like that. How about using those tax dollars to help better educate and guide children in the schools, so they don't turn into gun and drug runners to begin with? Just my two cents.

I have had a dps officer pull me over and give me the option of a ticket for the illegal window tint at the time it was limo all the was aound and double on the back with super low eyebrow. He then made the decision for me and cut a big x in my tint on my drives door and wrote me out a warning. The next time it was you guessed it limo again LOL.

So basically the cop vandalized your vehicle? I'm sure it was okay though because he was a cop? Mother F*kr's

You got it but that was only the drivers window and I figured I could spend $20 to have my window re-tinted or pay the $250 ticket. I took the easy way out I guess the dps officer figured I would have enough brains to have it legalized but I guess I dont LOL.

Back