Work in progress

shiftycapone

wandering the desert
I have been stripping my truck down lately since it is no longer seeing the road and will be a competition fun toy from now on. Got some pics along the way. More to come as progress continues.

IMAG0204.jpg

Transmission crossmember. Easier to work around, save weight.

IMAG0224.jpg

IMAG0226.jpg

Aluminum dash. Self explanitory.

I will get more up to date pics of the other stuff tommorrow, these are a week or two old. Focker out.

How much do you have in that aluminum dash? Any guess on it's weight vs stock dash?

I'm thinking about stripping down my Junker a little more, I've put on a few pounds over the last year and it's easier to strip down the truck than eat healthy and work out....

That tranny cross member looks beefy!

How much do you have in that aluminum dash? Any guess on it's weight vs stock dash?

I'm thinking about stripping down my Junker a little more, I've put on a few pounds over the last year and it's easier to strip down the truck than eat healthy and work out....

That tranny cross member looks beefy!

A LOT Will, the factory piece is a chubby bastard. The aluminum dash weighs about 8lbs, if that. I need to get a scale. For a piece big enough to do the dash the place wanted $90, plus a $25 cut fee. I got an entire 5x10' sheet for $130. I have enough to do another an then some.
That dash looks great. How did you attach it to the firewall by the windshield?

Thanks man, wait till the switch panel and tach are all mounted. I used 3 tabs I bent up that fit on the factory studs on the firewall, and are riveted to the dash itself. I also tigged up an aluminum angle piece which will serve as a lower support from a firewalll stud to the center of the dash. I will get good pics of all new stuff today.

015.jpg

016.jpg

New shifter mount. Aluminum as opposed to the old steel one.

0142.jpg

Crossmember installed

018.jpg

Dash mounting for Cbtoyz

020.jpg

Center support. Need to bend it down a bit to fit flush.

0122.jpg

Had to make a new loop closer to the u-joint. NHRA complient

0102.jpg

Not new, but figured I'd post them. The loop is tied into the mounts for the traction bars.

017.jpg

Custom patch panels for the heater core holes in the firewall. Supplied by my sponsor:hehe:

021.jpg

New switch panel. Gotta re wire the entire truck while I'm at it.

022.jpg

SS hood stack mounting ring. Just mocked up, still needs welding and polishing. Stack is SS as well.

023.jpg

And a nice overview of the whole truck. Its getting paint and some exterior upgrades as well.

Also, anyone have a part number for the mirror block off plates? I saw the old thread discussing them but no part numbers were ever posted. Help a brother out.

One thing you may want to do, is put a light coat of a flat color of paint over the aluminum dash. It can be blinding if the sun catches it the wrong way.

Thanks for the pictures. The part number for the mirror covers are 55075444, and 55075445. The dealer wanted 36 bucks each. I'm still debating if they are worth the price.

One thing you may want to do, is put a light coat of a flat color of paint over the aluminum dash. It can be blinding if the sun catches it the wrong way.

Yeah I can't even see through the windshield, I'm making a dash mat to cover the top.

I'm not positive that your aluminum firewall block off plates are of legal thickness.....

They are doubled up thickness wise. If I ever get in hassled I have more aluminum to make thicker plates. Have not found anything in the rule book against them though.

36 bucks a piece?! I might check pick and pull

Last edited:
Looks like a pretty damn cool tear down/build man. Keep the pictures coming! Are you going to cut out the floor and walls in the bed?

Looks like a pretty damn cool tear down/build man. Keep the pictures coming! Are you going to cut out the floor and walls in the bed?

For now the bed is staying as it is. I have thought about cutting and using only the skins on a lightweight frame though.

I couldn't find any material to make a dash cover out of, so I may just paint it. It is ridiculous how much glare comes off that thing, can't see chit. Even with a towel on it the reflection is bad. Any suggestions people?

I don't know if tinting the whole thing with 35% or 50% would help, but I do have an extra roll of 35%.

Last edited:
Looks good.

Is it just me or is your hood stack getting a head starts moving forward before your truck...../.....LOL

Back