Worth it to swap a Dana 80hybrid for a 14 bolt?

Sarafin

I can get a 14 bolt rear with 4.56 gearing for free and I have a 80 hybrid with 3.55 now. The gearing would definitely be nice but how big of a difference would brakes lines and other stuff be? I'm good at welding so fabing brackets wouldn't be a problem. And what's the strength difference between the two? Thought?
-Sarafin

You will break it. Most of the 6-800 hp gassers have issues with them. The pinion nose bearing isnt strong enough so power and torque will destroy one in short order. The ones still using them around here in the gasser classes are replacing that bearing every 2hooks.

If a Jeep can break a 14 bolt with a 4.0 and some 37s, I don't see it lasting behind a diesel, maybe a TDI.

They are pretty tough minus the spiders and side gears. After a locker they hold big power.

They are pretty tough minus the spiders and side gears. After a locker they hold big power.

That's good to hear. I have a Yukon Gear locker in my 14 bolt. I don't think ill have enough traction to break it though :hehe:

Change the rear pinion bearing out to a bushing and they will hold for a while longer until the casting around the bushing breaks. Axle shafts will be one of the first things to go on it however. And a full spool will be an absolute necessity to make it live at all.

I'm curious what Dana 80 hybrid is?

If you bought a dodge 2500 with a standard tranny behind a v10 or cummins you don't have a true dana80. The tag calls it a dana80hyb for hybrid. From what I understand its the same diff, just has 35 spline axles rather than 37 spline, and different hubs. The only true 80s in a production truck was a dodge 3500 dualie

Only F450's came with 37 spline. No dodge I know of ever had bigger than a 35sl

This is the first I've ever heard of a hybrid.

Nope 37 splines were in "true 80s" and 35 splines were in hybrids.
Write up on the hybrid 80 here

Wiki article for true 80 here

Then no dodge has a true 80 because no dodge came with 37 spline axles only fords had them

Per the true 80 link, it says it came with both. I am pretty sure, most are going to be 35 spline. The only definite 37 in the article dealt with the pinion.

Kind of treed on that.

Okay you guys made me do more research and I will admit I'm wrong (which is rare haha) about the dodges having 37 splines. But from this thread I'm getting that it would prolly just be better to re gear the axles I got rather than swap out to an apparently weaker axle just to save cash on re gearing

From what I understand the "hybrid" that came in some of the older trucks is the 80 center section with the smaller axel tube that the 70's have, so basically the hubs, bearings, tubes etc are 70. That is how I had it explained to me a while back. Might be wrong though.

Scott

Only F450's came with 37 spline. No dodge I know of ever had bigger than a 35sl

This is the first I've ever heard of a hybrid.

Without checking every 80 BOM i can find, im pretty sure thats accurate.

Nope 37 splines were in "true 80s" and 35 splines were in hybrids.
Write up on the hybrid 80 here

Wiki article for true 80 here

Unless i missed it, i dont see where the wiki article even references a hybrid 80. I can tell you, with all the dodge guys, customers i sell parts to and other gear nuts. Ive never heard a 35 spline 80 referred to as a hybrid. But I am just a puppy compared to some guys.

The tag under the hood of my 99 is "Dana 80 hyb". I was under the impression that it was an 80 center with 70 tubes/axles, it has the exact same gvwr as a 70.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

^i believe that to be correct.

The true Dana 80 only came in a dually. In a 2500 with a stick shift it had an 80 center section with 70 tubes, axels and hubs.

^i believe that to be correct.

The true Dana 80 only came in a dually. In a 2500 with a stick shift it had an 80 center section with 70 tubes, axels and hubs.

I think leave the axles out of that statement. Cab and Chassis D80 uses the same axle shafts as a 2500.

so what about the axle that came in my 1994 3500 DRW? under hood says d80 hyb, but axle tubs, hubs are all 80 equiptment, ive never opened up the carrier to see

Back