Worth it to swap a Dana 80hybrid for a 14 bolt?

I think leave the axles out of that statement. Cab and Chassis D80 uses the same axle shafts as a 2500.

Thanks Z. It's been a long time since I researched or used that information. If I remember right there was an OD size difference on the tubes wasnt it? Very minimal but there was something different just can't think of it now.

Thanks Z. It's been a long time since I researched or used that information. If I remember right there was an OD size difference on the tubes wasnt it? Very minimal but there was something different just can't think of it now.

Not sure on the tubes, I was thinking they are 4" and then neck down at the spindle area.

My Chassis cab 80 was 35 spline and had the SRW length axles. It only throated down going into the center section a little bit, a weld around it and it was flush.

roachie said:
Only F450's came with 37 spline. No dodge I know of ever had bigger than a 35sl

This is the first I've ever heard of a hybrid.

This was my understanding as well. I thought the hybrids were a 80 center with 70 shafts and what not. Like in the SRW 1 ton trucks. I thought only DRW 80's were "true" 80s?

I could very well be mistaken. But im pretty sure the only difference among 80 housings is is the hub spacing and overall width.

I was thinking any dodge 80 had 70 outters but i do know the hubs are diff between my drw rear and a srw.

So wait... All d80's in a dodge came with 35spline?

Still unclear why my 94 drw would be an 80hyb, there is nothing 70 about it from the outside atleast

Yea all dodge ones are 35 spl. I believe i read all 8 lug 80's are hyb only 10 lug f-4,550's are true 80's.

I get all confused what is what with Dana stuff. I have a Dana 80 out of an 01 swr, manual and a 97 swr, automatic and the I.D. of the tubes are different but not the O.D.? Same center section.

Last edited:
I get all confused what is what with Dana stuff. I have a Dana 80 out of an 01 swr, manual and a 97 swr, automatic and the I.D. of the tubes are different but not the O.D.? Same center section.

The 01 SRW manual would be an 80

The 97 SRW auto would be a 70.

Yea all dodge ones are 35 spl. I believe i read all 8 lug 80's are hyb only 10 lug f-4,550's are true 80's.

In 10 years of working with Dana parts, and 5 years of being in charge of a substantial amount of Dana inventory and Axle parts ordering...... I do not recall a single solitary Dana Document describing a Dana 80 Hybrid.

If the manufacturer doesn't refer to a rear as a hybrid of some sort, why did the OE that used it?

Tubes are not the same, The u bolt plates are larger on an 80 and have a different part number also. Dana 80 plate part number is 5203 8459 and the 70 is part number 5203 8458. I just went out back and put my u bolt plate from a 70 on an 80 and it is not even close. 80 is larger and 80 I have is out of an 01 70 that i used the plate from is out of an 02.

Last edited:
Yes you need the plates and the saddles I believe. Some ubolts will work some aren't long enough.

Back