Would Class A CDL owners please clarify

Tony R

New Build is For Sale.
Here is my question i recently bought a 20k gooseneck trailer and when hooked to my dodge dually which has a gvwr of 11,000 lb i would legally have to have a cdl to haul my pulling truck but if i was to buy a 14k trailer i would not need one if i am reading this right. here is ohio laws on a cdl. I understand 1 but 2 is not clear to me. Do they go on what your hauling or what it can actually haul

Ohio Revised Code, Section 4506.01 (D)
You need a CDL if you operate any of the following vehicles:
1.Any combination of vehicles with a combined gross vehicle weight rating of twenty-six thousand one pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of ten thousand pounds;
2.Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of twenty-six thousand one pounds or more, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating that is not in excess of ten thousand pounds;
3.Any single vehicle or combination of vehicles that is not a class A or class B vehicle, but that either is designed to transport sixteen or more passengers including the driver;
4.Any school bus with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than twenty-six thousand one pounds that is designed to transport fewer than sixteen passengers including the driver;
5.Is transporting hazardous materials for which placarding is required under subpart F of 49 C.F.R. part 172;
6.Any single vehicle or combination of vehicles that is designed to be operated and to travel on a public street or highway and is considered by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to be a commercial motor vehicle, including, but not limited to, a motorized crane, a vehicle whose function is to pump cement, a rig for drilling wells, and a portable crane.

Thanks guys

Could somebody move this over to the towing and hauling section? It's to early on Monday.

If you have a dakota with 26k rating towing a 10,001lb trailer (thats trailer and whats on it or just trailer), you need class a

If you have a dakota with 26k rating towing a 10,001lb trailer (thats trailer and whats on it or just trailer), you need class a

This is correct. Any trailor over 10k needs a class CDL. Also remember when you hook to a trailor you add weight to the truck. They will go by the door tag to weigh the truck.

So then everybody at truck pulls who use a dually and pull a 14k trailer need a cdl for there rigs or if its a combination the weight rating has to be over 26,001 lbs on the trailer or truck for your to need a cdl? Is the 10,001 the weight rating or the actual weight empty

if the trucks GVWR is 8500 + the trailer is 14K gives you a leeway of 3500 lbs to haul. they dont go off what the truck acutally wieghs but what the sticker says. so yes everyone sitting in the pits should have a CDL and DOT #'s. also the DOT will hit you for exceeding what the door sticker says for each axle. they will also hit for hauling for hire since the truck you are pulling is going to an event where there is a payout. "not for hire" should be on the side of your truck. i got a nice fine for borrowing a friends enclosed trailer that had his company logo on the side. officer said since it was a work related vehicle and since the trailer was over the 10K threshold i need a log book, class A cdl Dot #'s and MC numbers. i had to call my uncle to come and drive the truck home. and i was just moving furniture

So then everybody at truck pulls who use a dually and pull a 14k trailer need a cdl for there rigs or if its a combination the weight rating has to be over 26,001 lbs on the trailer or truck for your to need a cdl? Is the 10,001 the weight rating or the actual weight empty

The 10k is what the trailor is rated at, not actual weight. You could get busted with an empty trailor rated over 10k.

That explains it alot better and for the fact that alot of people are illegal so to speak just hauling there truck to the pull.

The 10k is what the trailor is rated at, not actual weight. You could get busted with an empty trailor rated over 10k.

Kevin, read that law above and tell me where it says any trailer over 10,000 needs a CDL. You have to read all of #1, not just the second part.

i just figured out this from ohio's cdl book, a person can get and pull a 14k trailer as long as the gvwr does not exced 26,001 lbs so i can use my dodge which has a gvwr of 11,000 lbs and a 14,000 trailer which equals 25,000 lbs

i just figured out this from ohio's cdl book, a person can get and pull a 14k trailer as long as the gvwr does not exced 26,001 lbs so i can use my dodge which has a gvwr of 11,000 lbs and a 14,000 trailer which equals 25,000 lbs

Right on. At least in Ohio.

In Ohio it's any combination vehicle with a GCVW of 26,001 or more, with a trailer that has a GTWR of 10k or more.
So our 05 Ram 3500 is rated at 12,200, and our trailer is at 14k, which gives 26.200 and equals Class A License. BUT! I could take a F650 that is rated at 26K and put a trailer rated at 9,999. and still be under CDL.
It's not just for commercial either, and RV's are excluded. But get caught with any commercial equipment behind a non commercial truck or RV and they will put your teats in a ringer.

Ok so if I understand this all correctly, when I hook my 14k Deckover behind my 95 Dodge, I would need a Class A? Or am I just confused?

Ok so if I understand this all correctly, when I hook my 14k Deckover behind my 95 Dodge, I would need a Class A? Or am I just confused?

If your truck is 12,001 gvw or more you would be over 26,000 and need a class A. If your truck is 12,000 or less your would not need a class A.

I talked to a buddy last night who has drove for a while he said in ohio the trailer has to weigh over 5k empty for a class A to be needed. I then went to the dmv and asked them, they then called the CDL testing place and they said the same, the trailer has to weigh over 5k empty for a cdl to be needed. They even brought up the point of the guys hauling 3 cars at once on a hot shot trailer. I thought they would have to have one, he said no cause the trailer, empty weighs under 5k. Does this make any sense or is everyone confused like I am

If you stay in your state that may be fine. When you cross the state line the laws in your state mean nothing.

Back