Would Class A CDL owners please clarify

I guess it makes little sense to me that a guy towing his lawnmower on a dual tandem gooseneck behind an F-550 pickup truck is hopelessly illegal..... although driving a VERY stable vehicle.... while a guy driving a single axle dump full of dirt, weaving all over the road on the puckered sidewalls, with a skid-steer behind him is perfectly legal driving something that someone with years of experience would need to stay on top of and drive conservatively with to avoid killing someone.

Awesome.

So what I've learned from this thread is that CDL law makes roughly as much sense as EPA law. None whatsoever.

It actually entices people to tow with lesser vehicles so that they can jump through the loopholes between Class A and B by either towing a 10,000lb trailer behind a 26,000lb dumptruck, or towing a big trailer behind a dodge dakota...

:smirk:
I disagree.

What would your rather try to stop when you lose trailer brakes, an 11,000lb GVWR truck towing a 16,000lb GVWR trailer loaded to the max, or a 25,000lb GVWR truck towing a 10,000lb GVWR trailer loaded to the max.

I know which one I would rather be driving in that situtation, and interestingly enough it's the one that doesn't require a CDL.

I do see your point about the Dakota and the big trailer though, and you are right to a point. You can only put so much trailer behind a Dakota before you start to overload it, and that is where weight laws come into play, making such combinations impractical for commercial operation. You aren't gonna make much money if you are collecting overweight tickets everywhere you go.

Last edited:
i have a class A with all my endorsements so i dont have to worry about it LOL

but anyway, i see guys driving semi trucks pulling big ass trailers all the time and they all say "private coach, not for hire" on the side, the guys that i have talked to say that its a way to get out of all the commercial rules (stopping at ports of entry, registering as a commercial vehicle, yadda yadda) apparently thats the way to get around it in idaho, i cant say the same for you guys in other states though

SFP, people try that all across the country, and some truely are. The ones who aren't eventually get caught, and usually aren't in business much longer.

they really are private coaches though, most are just guys pulling horse trailers headed to rodeos, those are the examples I have in mind

Are they in anyway compensated? Hauling horses to rodeos and races around here is definately considered commercial. Private and not for hire, do not equal not commercial. You can be both private and not for hire and still be a commercial operation.

Back