Y does everyone hate p pump first gens???

This thread deserves one

Facepalm_zpsa2d7941b.jpg

Every year Cummins holds a special Olympics for people with VE pumps. Everyone gets a medal. :cheer::cheer::cheer:

Rough crowd

Not really. I like giving the VE guys a bad time. On a stock or near stock truck they are great. Fuel mileage is good, throttle response is good, and they tow most anything you can legally tow.

He knows as much or more than anyone in the ve game right now. If you have a first gen you might want to check out his website. Makes alot if stuff you wont find anywhere else.

No sir. I got out of the first gen game years ago. Realized there's an easier route to 450 horse. LOL

On a serious note, I love old first gens. I admire the people that are making good numbers on a ve pump. Just takes a different breed I reckon.

It's a dying breed and almost an art to make them run. Ya gotta do your homework and lots of trial and error with a VE. Not many know what to even do with them nowadays, let a loan make them make some respectable power. Like others said there are plenty of p pump trucks out there already and it's a fun challenge with the original pump of 20+ years of technology ago. Don't get me wrong, I love and respect the p pumps and i want to build a p pump truck for pulling but it won't be with my 1st gen.

I haven't been spanked bad enough by anything to make me wanna go p pump for the lil amount of money I have into my setup.

When you can beat a p pump or common rail truck in a race or pull with a lowly VE beat to heck farm truck, it just makes it that much better and the look on their face makes it worth it. :pop:

Its really the cool factor for me. Why is kim poncis truck so cool. Why is smokin aces truck so cool. To me its because there ve powered. If they where p pumped i wouldnt even look twice. I have nothing against p pumping a truck if you want to set records youd be crazy not to. Its like putting a 12v in a 3rd or 4th gen. Cr guys get there panties in a bunch about that because its not what there into.

450rwhp in a 5,000lb 2wd First-Gen is the same as 720rwhp in an 8,000 pound truck....just sayin.

. .. There will always be quicker trucks.

I don't build my mess to impress anyone. It's all for fun anyway.

Drive it to the local Thursday night test-n-tune, beat-up on a few surprised locals, have my ass handed to me by a few locals, then drive it home.

Does the VE move a LOT of fuel? Hell no! If I'm pressed, I view it as sorta restrictor-plate racing. The challenge is to get all you can out of what's there.

Some of the attitudes presented here support the notion: "They never saw it coming . . . >giggle<".

cool factor to me is a clean square body with a P-pump and a lockup trans... a square body with a VE is a liability LOL

CompD member TOMTOM's truck is one of the sweetest rigs out there... white extended cab SHORT BED 1st gen with a P-pump motor and 47 trans. The truck was clean as a pin and went 12.50's (2wd truck!) He hasn't posted in over 3yrs. I might need to see if he's ready to sell it yet!

THAT is cool...

a cracked out 500-600+hp VE setup? no thanks... to me it has pump failure written all over it :eek:

I loved my 91.5. As Ron said, in stock/near stock form, they are great trucks. Great drivability and they'll tow anything you want to, but they've got too many strikes against them performancewise for me to consider one.

CompD member TOMTOM's truck is one of the sweetest rigs out there... white extended cab SHORT BED 1st gen with a P-pump motor and 47 trans. The truck was clean as a pin and went 12.50's (2wd truck!) He hasn't posted in over 3yrs. I might need to see if he's ready to sell it yet!

THAT is cool...
Indeed, his is a nice truck.

My heap has done 12.67 (4wd truck!), with a lowly 12mm VE (with a quarter million miles on it), and a non lock-up 46 trans (OK, 46 case).

At the end of the day, it's the same 12v as the rest, just a smaller IP. :)

Last edited:
Indeed, his is a nice truck.

My heap has done 12.67 (4wd truck!), with a lowly 12mm VE (with a quarter million miles on it), and a non lock-up 46 trans (OK, 46 case).

At the end of the day, it's the same 12v as the rest, just a smaller IP. :)

I agree, and that's very impressive! another thing about the VE vs. even the old P-pump is the lower injection pressure (smoke)

I love square bodies. I think they're the best looking dodge diesels... certainly not the most comfortable, but they have classic lines and they were the game changer in the history of diesel pickups.

But I guess my point is I certainly don't hate on p-pumped 1st gens. I see them as a step in the right direction! :rockwoot:

A hopped ve pump is far from a liability. Maybe if someone does it with stock sticks.

I've had my current COMPLETELY MAXED ve pump for 80,000 miles, which puts it's total life at 280,000ish miles. It doesn't miss a beat. I did go through it and re seal it, but all the hard parts, washers, etc.......are all stock and original.

Oh...........and I made 400+ with under a grand in perf. mods. I've since swapped injectors and turbo, so am obviously higher now.

That's hard to do with almost any generation of Cummins.

A hopped ve pump is far from a liability. Maybe if someone does it with stock sticks.

I've had my current COMPLETELY MAXED ve pump for 80,000 miles, which puts it's total life at 280,000ish miles. It doesn't miss a beat. I did go through it and re seal it, but all the hard parts, washers, etc.......are all stock and original.

Oh...........and I made 400+ with under a grand in perf. mods. I've since swapped injectors and turbo, so am obviously higher now.

Sorry but my buddy Schrowang paid under a grand in his 06 and got over 400 in a sluah box

if "almost any generations of Cummins" = VE and VP trucks? I whole-heartedly agree :D

I never said hopped up... I said cracked out! you start changing rotors w/ cheap Chinese junk, and you throw reliability out the window just to try to make what a 160hp p7100 can make

Last edited:
Yes, on a p pump you can get 400 with nothing more than proper pump tuning.

However, my point was.............with the computer controlled trucks, most tuners run 600+, and who puts a tuner on without exhaust? Or an intake?

My point behind it is, one can get the "easy hp" (which I consider 400) out of a ve pump almost just as easy as the other generations. After that 400 mark it starts costing money. Which it starts costing money on the other generations as well.

And as far as changing to a 14 h/r and losing reliability..........I agree 100%. One can do it right, but it's not cheap anymore. And getting that kind of power out of a p pump is more reliable and more affordable, no doubt.

Back