zf6. Ford or Chevy to replace 4500

Lucky Jeff

Stock Sucks
Does anyone know if there are any differences between the Chevy zf6 and the Ford zf6? The Ford tranny is easier to get a hold of. And you can buy adapters to bolt them to the back of the cummins. But is it the same as the Chevy?

I swear the last time I searched for info on this, there wasn't any. Seems recently there's been more talk about it and I found the info I need. :redx:

Mods, feel free to delete this and clear some space :Cheer:

Well, I didn't see anything about mounting on the Chevy. But I do know that everything you need to bolt the ZF6 from the ford up to the cummins is available, and it has a pump for cooling which the Chevy doesn't. My goal is to have a tranny that won't grenade when I want to have some fun (like the NV4500), and that you can actually rebuild it without having to take a second loan out on your house, isn't slow at shifting, and isn't extremely heavy (like the nv5600). Plus the ZF6 from the ford, like I stated, is way easier to get your hands on then the chevy unit. But supposedly, the shifting is better and smoother in the Chevy. So I'm still at a loss. Plus I have to figure out if my brand new SB dual disc that hasn't even been installed will work with the ZF6.

Last edited:
Well, I didn't see anything about mounting on the Chevy. But I do know that everything you need to bolt the ZF6 from the ford up to the cummins is available, and it has a pump for cooling which the Chevy doesn't. My goal is to have a tranny that won't grenade when I want to have some fun (like the NV4500), and that you can actually rebuild it without having to take a second loan out on your house, isn't slow at shifting, and isn't extremely heavy (like the nv5600). Plus the ZF6 from the ford, like I stated, is way easier to get your hands on then the chevy unit. But supposedly, the shifting is better and smoother in the Chevy. So I'm still at a loss. Plus I have to figure out if my brand new SB dual disc that hasn't even been installed will work with the ZF6.

I don't see why the shifting would be any different between the two if they are ACTUALLY the same trans. I would love to do a ZF6 swap in my Chevy since they shift so fast.

I do believe there is a thread on here saying not to do that swap because they can not handle the torque of the Cummins. I personally have no experience with any of them though.

I do believe there is a thread on here saying not to do that swap because they can not handle the torque of the Cummins. I personally have no experience with any of them though.

I'd be curious on that as well... trying to find one now for use behind a 12v. There's a couple threads on here with guys using them (Ford zf6) behind a Cummins in a conversion, but haven't sen any longevity reporting yet. Hope someone can say otherwise

There's a zf6 from a duramax on tri city's Craigslist tennessee for 1200$ just Putn that out there if anyone's interested

There's a zf6 from a duramax on tri city's Craigslist tennessee for 1200$ just Putn that out there if anyone's interested

Thanks for the heads up. Found a Ford version a few hours away. Still trying to figure out all of the differences. Haven't seen the thread that talks about not being able to handle the torque. Saw something about plastic having to do with the syncros on the Ford. Not sure exactly what they were talking about.

I don't see why the shifting would be any different between the two if they are ACTUALLY the same trans. I would love to do a ZF6 swap in my Chevy since they shift so fast.

Depending on how the pump is mounted, it might affect the shifting.

Ford 6.0/6.4 zf6 is a great trans and is stronger than the 7.3 style zf6. Also there is upgrades to make it even stronger. Midwest transmission can set you up! 80k behind my 12v towing and it's still going strong.

Well its rated for 650 lb ft, behind a ford, cummins or duramax that's still 650 lb ft. What's a 4500 rated at? Not that much. ZF6 is a tough trans. I'd get the ford one, just because its been done behind a cummins. Gm may require more research. Apparently, they are slightly different though, as I can't buy synchros for my gm, but they are available for the ford.

Ford 6.0/6.4 zf6 is a great trans and is stronger than the 7.3 style zf6. Also there is upgrades to make it even stronger. Midwest transmission can set you up! 80k behind my 12v towing and it's still going strong.

Can the differences be made up using aftermarket parts? The one I found was behind a 7.3.

Thanks for the syncro info Ben.

Im just waiting on my zf5 to grenade so i can do the zf6 swap. The current trans in my truck is a gas zf5 and it has taken some serious abuse and keeps on goin.

Now that I think about it I think it was a different transmission, like a 5100 or some crap that they told the guy to not put behind a Cummins. Seems as though there are many running them without problems, and I even did a little searching and found several members that I trust to know what they are talking about suggesting the ford zf6 behind a Cummins.

I have a 2001 model zf6 behind my 12v. The trans had 160,000 miles beind a bone stock 7.3L. I have had no problems with mine and I am putting some decent power through mine. I only have 10,000 miles on my swap bc I just don't drive it that much, but many of those miles are hard acceleration or towing 12k plus. I have a dd clutch in mine and have been very happy with it.

Is this who you are talking about? http://www.midwesttrans.com/. Just wanted to make sure before I call. Their website says they don't have any zf6 parts.

Yes that's them, Dan schoenfelder will be able to tell ya what can be done to them.

Back