zf6. Ford or Chevy to replace 4500

Can the differences be made up using aftermarket parts? The one I found was behind a 7.3.

Thanks for the syncro info Ben.

I do believe the bearings are better in the 6.0/6.4 zf6 and maybe a few more upgrades, but I thinking recall them saying you can upgrade the 7.3 zf6 with the 6.0 parts.

does the 6.0 zf6 have enough room in the bell houseing for a clutch that will hold some power? or are the bell houseings bigger on the 7.3 zf6? i found a 5.4 zf6 and was told that it would not have the room for anything that would hold

the 6.0L/ 6.4 ZF6 has abigger bell housing.. there are threads out with pictures. some guys cut out the bell housing on a 7.3 ZF6 to fit a 12v.. on the 6.0L it fits with out cutting... What kind of Mods is the midwest guy doing to the ZF6's? I have heard they are hard to rebuild .. not as bad as aG56 but tough.. not a home job like a nv4500. I'd be intersted to see if they can ge shifted fast with a dual disk?.. My Enterprise dual disk nv4500 shifted way slow, it was a float gears only and slowly. I'm looking a a zf6 swapp too.
Thanks,
Deo

I had a a buddy with a 99 f350 with a 7.3 it had a 100k on it and he put a ve 12 valve in it with a he351 that trans only lasted him a few months had it build then blew up the transfercase... I just don't believe anything they put behind the 7.3 is strong enough it hold up to a Cummins that has some mods done to it

Fastest manual trans 1/4 is a dmax with a zf6 at 11.82 iirc. They are the best factory optioned trans you can do in the manual from the research I have found. Mine will need to be built and I talked to Dan at valair and he is going to set me up with a triple disk street clutch. Should hold up I hope.

I'm also looking at doing a 271d behind it but now I need to find a input for it. Anyone let any light on this?

Last edited:
ok does anyone have or know where to find a zf6 and t-case for sale? 6.0 or 7.3. im having a hard time finding any. the only one i have found at a local junk yard was $2500

Back