zfaylors old man truck build

Did you install a crossmember to replace the one you removed when shortening the frame?

A slightly less beefy one went in. I had some angle iron so I used that for the time being.

Covers look awesome

Thank you sir! Will have to wait and see how they hold up to the heat under the hood. The manifold charger sits pretty close to the manifold so I am not overly optimistic on the paint holding up there.

Welp I have changed turbo setups...yet again. I've had a pile of customers begging for stock appearing performance stuff. So I punch a cover out to 67mm and put a 67mm turbine wheel in an hx and put it on. Never been a big fan of that sort of thing but I have to say it's pretty nasty. Spools quick and pulls freakin hard. Much harder than the silver 64 did and spools twice as fast. I want to beat the crap out of it with the biggest wheel possible to make the hx frame prove itself to me. Videos and such to come. Gots to get my exhaust and a hood on it first.

Welp I have changed turbo setups...yet again. I've had a pile of customers begging for stock appearing performance stuff. So I punch a cover out to 67mm and put a 67mm turbine wheel in an hx and put it on. Never been a big fan of that sort of thing but I have to say it's pretty nasty. Spools quick and pulls freakin hard. Much harder than the silver 64 did and spools twice as fast. I want to beat the crap out of it with the biggest wheel possible to make the hx frame prove itself to me. Videos and such to come. Gots to get my exhaust and a hood on it first.

That sounds like fun! Looking forward to the vid.

What hx uses that turbine wheel ?

How do you think those modified hx's compare to the new sx-e line? Seems like they can be had with a gated housing for maybe a couple hundred more than a modded hx. Any idea what it'd cost to build a larger hx for a guy, 62mm maybe?

I drove a modded hx yesterday and it spooled slower than my old 62mm fmw. I think it will flow more air but it didn't have the response I expected. But in a truck that needs a stock appearing turbo it's the best we have at the moment. I would prefer the SXE

That's what I was wondering, was there something special about them, or just the stock appearing aspect. Personally the appearance means little to me, I want what will be the best performance for reasonable cost.

What hx uses that turbine wheel ?

None use that turbine. It is a turbine design that was used in the H1E and later in the HE400 used on the common rail ISX VGTs. The vgt has a longer shaft and a speed sensor slot of course.

How do you think those modified hx's compare to the new sx-e line? Seems like they can be had with a gated housing for maybe a couple hundred more than a modded hx. Any idea what it'd cost to build a larger hx for a guy, 62mm maybe?

It is sort of apples to oranges. I started building these due to customers wanting them. I hated the idea of modded HXs but I am sort of falling into loving them. The sx-e line will no doubt be a more robust line given shaft and bearing sizes. That being said I had two 63/68 borgs snap shafts on customers trucks. A lot of dependability depends on the driver. Nothing will take negligence or abuse for long.

I drove a modded hx yesterday and it spooled slower than my old 62mm fmw. I think it will flow more air but it didn't have the response I expected. But in a truck that needs a stock appearing turbo it's the best we have at the moment. I would prefer the SXE

This is a very misguided post. No idea on sizing or who did the machine work to the housings? I have a 67x67 on my truck (largest wheels for an HX35 frame) and it quite literally spools like a stock charger.

That's what I was wondering, was there something special about them, or just the stock appearing aspect. Personally the appearance means little to me, I want what will be the best performance for reasonable cost.

I like them. I would have never in a million years said that without trying it as I have never seen the appeal. I have a very hard time believing some of the claims other people are making about their power potential. Claiming 800hp out of an hx reliably is flat out not going to happen IMO. The same bearings dimensionally and shaft sizes were used in the HX35, HX40, HE351CW, HE351VE, HE400, HE431 so we don't let the old horror stories of joe blow slapping a different cover and wheel on his stock charger dictate too much.

Doing this came more out of necessity. It is difficult for people to swallow the fact that a gated T3 borg housing and the machining to make an S300 a bolt on upgrade dam near doubles or triples the price. I won't be offering these until the 3 trucks we have them on have put some serious miles and abuse on them so we can take a look inside. I am not a site sponsor right now so I won't offer products to members until I am either. Time will tell how these go. So long as people don't expect to compare a 67mm HX35 to an S467 I am comfortable with them but far too often inducer size is what people use to compare chargers.

I should have clarified. It's a 63.5/102 ish. I know the exducer is very large. With a gated hx 40 hot side that had been bolted shut.

I should have clarified. It's a 63.5/102 ish. I know the exducer is very large. With a gated hx 40 hot side that had been bolted shut.

Yeah that would explain it. Not a fan of the 63x99 wheel. Can only imagine a 63.5/102. I personally will not offer a modded HX without the 65 or 67 turbine wheel. Not the mystery turbine wheels either. We only use parts from our suppliers for the reman side of things not "tony" from guang zoo mainland china top quality turbo parts supply LOL

so you think a larger turbine wheel will help this spool? Or you think it's a comp wheel/ turbine wheel issue.
I have never messed with the stock stuff. This is all genuine holset parts though

so you think a larger turbine wheel will help this spool? Or you think it's a comp wheel/ turbine wheel issue.
I have never messed with the stock stuff. This is all genuine holset parts though

Depends. There were some fairly large HX40 turbine housings out there as well. The turbine wheel itself if it is 40 on the hotside is probably the 76x64 already. Not sure why I kept saying 65mm.

Since the beginning of diesel performance people have experimented with larger OEM turbo stuff and been disappointed because they either slapped a 40 wheel and cover on their 35 and snapped the shaft or they put an hx40 with a big turbine on and hated the spool.

A lot of it comes down to expectations vs reality. Just like the .88 open housing for the S300 series makes those seem like a bit of a turd there are turbine combinations on the small holsets that will do the same.

It is a 40 and if I recan its the hx40w that has a 16 cm housing. I need to look at all the specs this evening. Hopefully we will have some testing / tuning in the dyno tomorrow. It's going to get ran hard. We are trying to get 650 out of it but would be happy with 600

None use that turbine. It is a turbine design that was used in the H1E and later in the HE400 used on the common rail ISX VGTs. The vgt has a longer shaft and a speed sensor slot of course.

It is sort of apples to oranges. I started building these due to customers wanting them. I hated the idea of modded HXs but I am sort of falling into loving them. The sx-e line will no doubt be a more robust line given shaft and bearing sizes. That being said I had two 63/68 borgs snap shafts on customers trucks. A lot of dependability depends on the driver. Nothing will take negligence or abuse for long.

This is a very misguided post. No idea on sizing or who did the machine work to the housings? I have a 67x67 on my truck (largest wheels for an HX35 frame) and it quite literally spools like a stock charger.

I like them. I would have never in a million years said that without trying it as I have never seen the appeal. I have a very hard time believing some of the claims other people are making about their power potential. Claiming 800hp out of an hx reliably is flat out not going to happen IMO. The same bearings dimensionally and shaft sizes were used in the HX35, HX40, HE351CW, HE351VE, HE400, HE431 so we don't let the old horror stories of joe blow slapping a different cover and wheel on his stock charger dictate too much.

Doing this came more out of necessity. It is difficult for people to swallow the fact that a gated T3 borg housing and the machining to make an S300 a bolt on upgrade dam near doubles or triples the price. I won't be offering these until the 3 trucks we have them on have put some serious miles and abuse on them so we can take a look inside. I am not a site sponsor right now so I won't offer products to members until I am either. Time will tell how these go. So long as people don't expect to compare a 67mm HX35 to an S467 I am comfortable with them but far too often inducer size is what people use to compare chargers.
That's cool, probably be a while before I can afford anything anyway. Do keep us updated though.

It is a 40 and if I recan its the hx40w that has a 16 cm housing. I need to look at all the specs this evening. Hopefully we will have some testing / tuning in the dyno tomorrow. It's going to get ran hard. We are trying to get 650 out of it but would be happy with 600

That is expecting a decent amount of that charger. It may do it, though. I don't expect to eclipse 600 reliably out of them but I never say never. I have been surprised a few times before in life.

That is expecting a decent amount of that charger. It may do it, though. I don't expect to eclipse 600 reliably out of them but I never say never. I have been surprised a few times before in life.
Yeah, mines a vp truck and I'd be happy with 400-500hp that I can tow heavy with. Might be wishful thinking though, I've got enough fuel, just need better air source.

Well I should update my feelings on the turbo. We ran 7.70 class with it this weekend and it ran 7.71 pretty consistent so it has to be making decent power. Hope for 12.3 ish in 1/4. We never had a chance to dyno last week for numbers though.

Well I should update my feelings on the turbo. We ran 7.70 class with it this weekend and it ran 7.71 pretty consistent so it has to be making decent power. Hope for 12.3 ish in 1/4. We never had a chance to dyno last week for numbers though.

Sorry I missed this post somehow. That is impressive. I am slowly falling in love with mine. I put it on to test it and beat it up and it has taken everything i can throw at it. I actually put a stock mani, downpipe, oil lines, etc.. all back on with it to give it a fair test on a mildly stock truck. With AFC live, and the 7x.011 injectors from Will on it and this charger I get ~45psi out of the turbo. It lights very quick, sounds awesome, and can light these crappy SUV tires up anytime.

We tore the turbo down while we had it off for the manifold swap and all of the bearings were perfect. Shaft had zero concentricity issues or runout issues. All seems to be doing well. I stand behind the idea that most of the horror stories about HX35s and HX40s having issues come from guys with junkyard HX40s, chinese HX40s, or home built 35/40 hybrids.

They are no replacement for an S400 on a dedicated race truck but out of an S464, Silver 64, hx35/S475 compounds, this turbo is twice the fun factor on this truck. I plan to dyno it and play at the track with it to see what they can do for real and not just by the seat of the pants.

IMG_20160712_164720510_zpshugjjdmr.jpg

Last edited:
Back