zfaylors old man truck build

Got the hood off. Took the hinges off. Safelite comes on tuesday. In the mean time I picked up some michelin sport SUV tires used for $50 today. Ordering some aluminum rims to match after I hear back from a fleabay seller on specifics. Reason for the tire and rim change being I have some wore out E rated ATs on it now on stock aluminums. This limits me in multiple ways.

1. No true sport tires worth a crap in 16s that would work on a truck.

2. Rear drums are ground to fit the stock aluminum late 2nd gen wheels. I need new drums soon and really do not want to deal with that lip again. Removing half of the fins doesn't bother me to fit my 15" steel wheels with the slicks. removing that lip fricken sucked.

3. I like the idea of a sleeper with stock wheels but they are narrow and the sleeper look has sort of gone to the wayside when I decided on an oral pan, stack, fuel cell, etc..

Plan is a duraflex glass hood and stock hinges with the springs removed. Hood pins are an obvious component on this build now as well LOL

I cannot seem to find a stock appearing glass replacement hood. Duraflex only offers SRT style and the ones with the bulged cowel. I bid on a carbon hood on fleabay but somehow my $100 bid didn't cut it. I refuse to go back to steel. I need a hood and now is a perfect opportunity to push some more weight bias back.

Any input on the hood dilemma is appreciated.

I dropped a few pounds by removing most of the bracing. And the springs on the hinges.
How my lighter could a fiberglass hood possibly be? The last one I picked up was for a camaro so it was like 30 feet long but still way heavier than expected.

I dropped a few pounds by removing most of the bracing. And the springs on the hinges.
How my lighter could a fiberglass hood possibly be? The last one I picked up was for a camaro so it was like 30 feet long but still way heavier than expected.

It HAS to be lighter than the dam stocker. Taking my old one off made my nuts stretch a couple more inches than expected LOL

Old skool fab carbon hood?

$$

I really want one but $300 shipped for a fiber hood vs $1000+ for a carbon hood. I am willing to pay but I am still a cheapazz at heart LOL

The vodka cranberry got me to push the order button on my wheels finally. Moto Metal 970 it is. They were a little flashier than I wanted to the price on a set of these was less than an off brand with less "bling".

Now on to a hood and I will be golden. Trying to get this dam truck back together before hell starts with the business in a week.

The vodka cranberry got me to push the order button on my wheels finally. Moto Metal 970 it is. They were a little flashier than I wanted to the price on a set of these was less than an off brand with less "bling".

Now on to a hood and I will be golden. Trying to get this dam truck back together before hell starts with the business in a week.

Pics and specs on the wheel decision!

Pics and specs on the wheel decision!

mo970blk.jpg

18x9 with +18 offset. Shouldn't stick out past fenders at all. At least I hope. I like the look when they do a tad but rocks and dirt everywhere and not on a dam single cab short bed 2wd.

Last edited:
mo970blk.jpg

18x9 with +18 offset. Shouldn't stick out past fenders at all. At least I hope. I like the look when they do a tad but rocks and dirt everywhere and not on a dam single cab short bed 2wd.

I can dig it!

mo970blk.jpg

Damn same wheel I bought for my 90!!! LOL

Last edited:
That's a good looking wheel, simple and straight to the point. 9 wides with +18 will look real nice inside fender. What tires are you going to wrap them with?

-Bobby

FYI here's my 98 2wd 12v with 20s in the same offset. uploadfromtaptalk1441677688600.jpg

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk

Damn same wheel I bought for my 90!!! LOL

LOL I like your style man! If you still need a 12v engine I will be able to get back to my engines soon. Right now they are tucked away in storage until I get moved into my business this weekend.

That's a good looking wheel, simple and straight to the point. 9 wides with +18 will look real nice inside fender. What tires are you going to wrap them with?

-Bobby

Just some basic Michelins I got used for $50 for now. Cannot decide on a tire. The Hankook Ventus St will probably be going on it in the spring.

I can dig it!

Thank ya sir! Flashy wheels aren't much my style but it seems you cannot buy a basic aluminum wheel anymore. You can but not in 18s for the price I paid.

FYI here's my 98 2wd 12v with 20s in the same offset. View attachment 59205

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk

Awesome! Thanks for the pic. The offset and width should work out nice.

LOL I like your style man! If you still need a 12v engine I will be able to get back to my engines soon. Right now they are tucked away in storage.

325 65 18s on those rims on the first gen should look good, shoot me a pm about motors whenever you get to them.

Got the hinges from r1raptor. Thank you so much for those! I pay pal money to you on Friday.

My wheels showed up on Friday as well. I am pleased with the fitment. The tires are a little smaller than I would like but they will do for now.

5354AE97-F670-4290-BC7A-E1A6B556572C_zpslrnda8vg.jpg

Little idea of the transformation this truck has undergone in the past year.

5B9EB919-2E3D-40DA-B2E5-151077517860_zpswmupinfu.jpg

A year ago this thing was a long bed dually with a virgin engine entirely in it. Poor truck LOL

Been a while. Been busy with the business. The silver 64 got yanked off to sell to a customer. It has sat turboless for a month now.

Coming soon is a set of compounds. Because why not?

I have an HT4B here and a 62mm s300. Rebuilding both this week and then the fab starts. Possibly billet wheels in both just for chits as I may spray it in the spring. Should be interesting to see what it does.

Hope to do a custom manifold but I may toss the stocker on the mill and add an e-gate to help that s300 stay alive.

I have some s300 sxe chargers but I can't bring myself to use all of that money just yet LOL

I am slowly making progress on Sundays on this thing. Not in a big hurry given the snow flew this past weekend and I try to avoid winter with this thing.

Got a v-band setup from race part solutions for the HT4B. Included an aluminum weld on flange, billet steel flange, and v band clamp for $35

Only problem I had with it was the aluminum flange was a male and steel female. Backwards to what I am used to dealing with on turbochargers but since I had no aspirations on selling this HT4B anytime soon I proceeded with it.

Got the v band welded on the HT4B. Excuse the piss poor welds. Apparently 30 year old cast aluminum doesn't like being welded all that much LOL

1F17ECDB-21C8-4874-925D-BB5E660DB927_zpsamnd9rtm.jpg

Balanced the rotor after cleanup

CBF2D414-51AC-455A-91FB-1A08E6AE3983_zpsirqmwryu.jpg

Got the rest of it cleaned up

3CA7431B-AF88-4B46-9F97-5C94DB2D7186_zpsid4krnxa.jpg

Now on to finishing the cover up.

I have some steel pipe on order from ace supply and 12v flanges from columbia river mandrel along with some mandrel tubing.

Need to build the manifold, decide on a secondary/build the secondary, build the compound setup, drop the truck down some more, add some more fuel, and tune it by spring. Should be done easily but so far the business comes first and eats up a lot of my time. Still watching fleabay like a hawk for some decent slicks.

The Ford 9" idea is still up in the air and will be based on time available to do it. Otherwise the plan is to freshen up the dana 70 and put all new brake components on it. They are quite crusty.

not sure if you did or not but preheat helps a ton for welding on those vbands. and it looks better than my welds! LOL

Back