04 5.9 no start

speedfreak

I have been hving a long crank for a while and it has been geting longer and longer and today no start, I checked supply PSI at the inlet to the CP3 and i have 8 PSI on the solous scan tool I see 1500PSI and regulator going to 40% I un pluged the grid heater and gave it a sniff of either and it lit right off, and the rail PSI went to 5800 PSI CP3 on the way out or Regulator?? any help would be great thanks Jeremy

More than likely the return rate on one or more of you're injectors is high. Probably due to cracked/eroded ball seat within the injector body. CP3 and FCA sound fine.

Jake

the other thing i forgot to mention is that it seems to be temp related, the first start of the day is the longest crank (if it will start) last night i pluged it in and it fired right off this morning ( out side temp 35)

I was about to say injectors until you said it's temp related. Have you checked/cleaned all of the related grid heater connections (including relay connections)?

I thought the intake heater was just to cut down on smoke on a cold start up??

I've had a few trucks also with this same issue, every one got new injectors and cured the problem. All of them disliked cold start as well.

the other thing i forgot to mention is that it seems to be temp related, the first start of the day is the longest crank (if it will start) last night i pluged it in and it fired right off this morning ( out side temp 35)

I've had a few trucks also with this same issue, every one got new injectors and cured the problem. All of them disliked cold start as well.

Ive had 2 trucks come in with the same ordeal. Plug them in and they start great but otherwise get out the ether. One truck injectors fixed it up but the other truck changing injectors was a temporary fix. It started great for 2 weeks then kept getting worse. I replaced the CP3 with a good used one and that was eventually the full cure. Todd at T&C can rebuild your pump pretty reasonable.

And is there any way to prove that injectors are the problem

If you can isolate the return line coming off the back of the head, then you can make sure the injectors aren't returning an excessive amount of fuel. Put the line into a cup, then crank for a few seconds without starting. If you get more than about a teaspoon worth of fuel in the cup, then one or more of the injectors needs to be pulled.

Is there any one who can bench test injectors? Or any way I can pin it down to one injector ??

finaly got back on this one and found one of the intake heater relays was bad, replaced it and it starts but the first start of the day has a long crank?? after that it lites right up

Check your rail relief valve. To do this remove 19mm banjo bolt from top of valve dry the top of the valve with brake clean and shop air then crank if its wet up on top of the valve replace.