04.5 cummins problems

If the truck is running and i open the water seperator should fuel come out? It only does it when its off, just wondering if maybe the issue could be with the airdog even tho it ran fine before i messed with injectors

Not trying to point fingers, or call anyone out, but if the truck ran fine until you changed injectors, I would assume something happened in the process. Putting the old nozzles back in and not finding the created issue would confirm this. So, go back through step by step and inspect everything you disassembled and check it. I know it sucks, I have been there before myself. Maybe a push rod tube didn't seat properly, maybe a rocker arm didn't line up with a pedestal just right. I'm guessing it is something small. All your electrical harness plugged back in?

Last edited:
I'm not around mine this week. I have never tried draining my FASS with the truck running. Always did it with the engine off.

Oh i understand, i have been through everything on it, ive had it apart prolly at least five times now and everytime nothing changes, i make sure everything is torqued right. what really confuses me is when i put it in gear and give it a little throttle it will hang at 1000 rpm and not go downtill i put it in neutral or park which it will rev up more than go down

just new nozzles but i had them all tested thinking maybe one was bad and all injectors were great

Damn man, 5 times? I bet your knees and shins are killing you. Not sure if it matters, but did you pull the injectors one at a time? If not, did you keep track of what crossover tube went to what injector? I know then have a tapered fit and the tube is softer than the injector body. To verify you don't have a high pressure fuel leak, check the return fuel amount from the line off the back side of the head.

I think theres missing info here.

1. When did the issue start?

2. Whos tips?

3. Are you sure your engine is a 04.5??

4. Are you positive you received the correct tips for your engine.

started with first startup with new nozzles, industrial injection tips, yes im sure its an 04.5, yea they are the correct tips, i even put the stock tips back on and still have same problem

Make sure you didnt pinch and injector wire or cut one in half.

I guess you could have got a wire caught under a rocker or rocker bridge.

Wouldn't a wire being pinched or cut cause an injector misfire which would throw a code?
Its not throwing any codes at all

Also cross tubes always stayed with original injectors till this last time when injectors were all tested and set together. Tubes still look brand new and the way it starts right up and idles OK for a sec makes me think its not a tube issue at all.

Valves not being at the right clearance would make the cylinder knock hard and def won't make it hold rpms.

Back