05 Fummins work!

brianjbeach85

Bit the bullet guys! got my 12v in its a 1996 with 123k on it.. 180hp P-Pump

front.jpg
top.jpg
turbo.jpg
Started breaking the motor down...

ac bracket.jpg

Plan to paint valve covers/T-cover/air horn/ Oil pan/fuel lines/P-Pump all this color Red.. block will be a titanium/gunmetal grey along with the Head.

Vehicle it is going in is my 2005 F250 lariet CC 4x4 FX4.. auto (debating if project is worth attempting a MANUAL swap or not before i buy the adapter plate and flex plates...)

Added pictures of the truck to show you what my rig looks like.. alotta pride into it
IMG-20110410-00014.jpg

Will keep you posted as the build on motor commences.. looking forward to this ALOT :woohoo:

In my opinion if you have the means build your self a killer auto and leave it at that....in my conversion i used a zf5 and its not bad but the only gear that loads the chargers hard enough to have some serious fun is 5th

In my opinion if you have the means build your self a killer auto and leave it at that....in my conversion i used a zf5 and its not bad but the only gear that loads the chargers hard enough to have some serious fun is 5th

Im tempted to leave the 5R110 talked to a guy at sheild who said they were runnin one with 700hp stock internals and TQ.. doesnt see it lasting much longer at that lvl.. but my engine (shooting for 500rwhp) should be fine. Might upgrade to a ATS TQ.. but thinking tranny can hold up ok at that lvl

dont know much bout the 5r110..my last go round with a ford auto was a e40d and havent had one since... i know when talking to brothers diesel he didnt think he could build a ford trans that would take what were throwing at it for a decent price..think im gona do a 47re in the future

5r110 is a pain to tune, fyi....and they are not a big fan of cummins power...

Im tempted to leave the 5R110 talked to a guy at sheild who said they were runnin one with 700hp stock internals and TQ.. doesnt see it lasting much longer at that lvl.. but my engine (shooting for 500rwhp) should be fine. Might upgrade to a ATS TQ.. but thinking tranny can hold up ok at that lvl

No way.

Re u sure the 5r110 doesn't hold up? Or is it the torque converter that's the weak link? I was told the stock TC was a triple disk so can handle up to 500 hp.. Which is why I was thinking ATS replacement... Other than that 5r110 seems solid from everything I have read.

It may be solid but it's a PIA to tune. I am in the process of tuninga 5r110 right now. If i had a "do-over" i would have used a 4r100 or 48re. I am still contemplating the swap. I may try to stick it out with the 5r100 until next winter.

dont think the shift on fly transfer case would work with a 4r100... i've been looking at NV transmissions trying to find a good one used.. seems easiest way to go and NO programming involved lol.. anyone swapped in a NV4500 or 5600? how hard was it mounting? and was told have to change the input shaft on t-case to a dodge input shaft?

The 5R will last almost forever at that power level. The problem is like others have stated is the tuning. They just dont stand up with a stand alone controller. Find a good dodge unit. I myself am going with a built 06 Allison.

Need some help here, there is a 2001 cummins being parted out right now.. engine knocks bad aparently.. good chance at a cheap auto! what tranny is the 4wd 2001 2500 packing? 47re? or 47rh? and how hard is that to mod to fit in a Ford swap? do i need the ecm? or still need the PCS controller?

dodge TCM?

So if I'm swapping the 47re in I'd also need the TCM? Or would I need a PCS controller? Anything I should know about the 47re? Weak links? Its a 4x4 setup for like 800 the dodge tranny will hook up to the ford T-case if I sawp input shaft right?

Damn good lookin truck! I'll be following along. I'm in the middle of a swap myself. Goodluck!

made some progress with other peices today

IMG-20110520-00001.jpg

IMG-20110520-00002.jpg

IMG-20110520-00003.jpg

i'll drop pictures of engine monday.. its at my work on hoist and stand.. anyone had any luck with painting the exhaust manifolds? they make 2k degree paint.. but the constant hot cold hot cold.. seems like it would mess it up... would love to have a bright red manifold

used the VHT paint on mine, think it was good for 2k or 2500 deg. It lasted about 1 drive
before you couldnt tell it was painted. ceramic coated everything this time, let you know how it holds up

So if I'm swapping the 47re in I'd also need the TCM? Or would I need a PCS controller? Anything I should know about the 47re? Weak links? Its a 4x4 setup for like 800 the dodge tranny will hook up to the ford T-case if I sawp input shaft right?

Sun coast makes a controler for the trans, pretty neat set up. very tuneable from drivers seat, theres also a few controler that can be tuned via laptop.

Anyone every heard of someone rigging up the Grid heater to be a toggle switch? the guy that sold me the motor didnt supply relay grid or w/e.. so thinking can i rig it up for power.. and a toggle switch? toggle on... when really cold just long enough to kick start then kill power to grid?