12v into CR powered Dodge

Ok, not your typical conversion...but, I'm really considering swapping my 12v engine from my 97 into my 06 Dodge. I'm just trying to get some ideas/suggestions as this is just a thought I've had.

What types of things would need to be done to make this work?

12v should mount to CR mounts I believe.

I have a Goerend built 47re, would it be best to continue to use this, or switch the parts over to the 48re? Will a 12v mount up to a 48re?

What other things to look out for, such as wiring, sensors, gauges, etc.?

:thankyou2:

Just curious, why the swap? My cousin is considering this swap for his 06 too. He's doing it because he can't find an affordable used common rail.

You will not ever be able to re-register it or sell it to anybody that will need to tag it especially in any state that has emmisions.

Just curious, why the swap? My cousin is considering this swap for his 06 too. He's doing it because he can't find an affordable used common rail.

Swapping a not so reliable engine for a very reliable engine would be my reason. Ive been thinking of doing this same connversion. I believe the gauges will work. Getting the tranny to shift right will be the issue, but ive been told it can be done.

What DOCKBOY said... not worth it IMO, buy an older truck with a 12v in it.

What DOCKBOY said... not worth it IMO, buy an older truck with a 12v in it.

:bang I have an older truck with a 12v in it...

I bought the 06 to tow the 97 12v around to the tracks, but realized with my work/traveling schedule, that will be difficult and not worth all the money.

I would like to continue to DD/race my 12 valve (which is still very streetable and getting great fuel mileage), BUT have it in a newer crew cab truck - hence the reason for the swap. I don't see how this is too far stretched as people swap cummins into Fords/Chevys all the time.

Like I've said, its a thought at this time. I want to know what types of things to look for, what is feasable. I know this has been done before..

:bang I have an older truck with a 12v in it...

I bought the 06 to tow the 97 12v around to the tracks, but realized with my work/traveling schedule, that will be difficult and not worth all the money.

I would like to continue to DD/race my 12 valve (which is still very streetable and getting great fuel mileage), BUT have it in a newer crew cab truck - hence the reason for the swap. I don't see how this is too far stretched as people swap cummins into Fords/Chevys all the time.

Like I've said, its a thought at this time. I want to know what types of things to look for, what is feasable. I know this has been done before..

Regardless, it is still against Federal Law to replace an existing emissions certified engine with one of lesser standards in a vehicle that will be registered and operated on Public roads.

When you sell the vehicle, it could be possible that the new owner will be unable to register it.

but being an 06 wouldnt that be before all the dpf s and such? might still be worth checking into with the dmv though

I know it has been done. I think it was a guy on tdr that had one. We considered doing this also but sold the truck instead. I don't see much as far as road blocks.
Gauges, controlling the auto (stand alone controller?), .....?

It isn't much different that people putting an older model cummins in a superduty. I know in my state no one would ever know, nor would they care. But you never know what tomorrow might bring?

Regardless, it is still against Federal Law to replace an existing emissions certified engine with one of lesser standards in a vehicle that will be registered and operated on Public roads.

When you sell the vehicle, it could be possible that the new owner will be unable to register it.

The vehicle would never be sold if the 12v was in it. :Cheer:

Hows that work with your Ford? Because its a newer CR it fits the "rules"? :poke:

Last edited:
I know it has been done. I think it was a guy on tdr that had one. We considered doing this also but sold the truck instead. I don't see much as far as road blocks.
Gauges, controlling the auto (stand alone controller?), .....?

It isn't much different that people putting an older model cummins in a superduty. I know in my state no one would ever know, nor would they care. But you never know what tomorrow might bring?

Theres a guy on here "Lane" that has swapped one in. 6spd trans. though.
Hopefully he can chime in..

I was also thinking a standalone for the trans.

What would be better to use? 47re or 48? Is it possible to use the 48?

I would think this would only be an issue in states that require an inspection (which there's usually ways around those) but otherwise how would anyone (such as DMV) know unless you told them? If he did sell I figure as long as you're upfront with the buyer and they go ahead with the purchase it's their problem after that.

Ok, not your typical conversion...but, I'm really considering swapping my 12v engine from my 97 into my 06 Dodge. I'm just trying to get some ideas/suggestions as this is just a thought I've had.

What types of things would need to be done to make this work?

12v should mount to CR mounts I believe.

I have a Goerend built 47re, would it be best to continue to use this, or switch the parts over to the 48re? Will a 12v mount up to a 48re?

What other things to look out for, such as wiring, sensors, gauges, etc.?

:thankyou2:

Mark have you found out yet whether the 06 needs more than just injectors?

The vehicle would never be sold if the 12v was in it. :Cheer:

Hows that work with your Ford? Because its a newer CR it fits the "rules"? :poke:

That is exactly why.

Personally I cant see any reason why you would want to go from a good CR to a 12V. Not to dis the 12V, but why would you want to give up a engine that has dynamic timing etc for one that dosent. The CR engine is a very good engine, very easy to work with, very reliable if you do the right things to it. I know of lots and lots of CR's with 3 - 4 hunderd thousand miles on them. I have a 1000+ Hp one. I would personally never go back to a 12V or 24V to be honest.

But if you are dead set on it, you would have to talk to a company like DeStroked or the like to get something to work with your dash, tranny etc. You would have no speedometer, nothing.