12v into CR powered Dodge

The vehicle would never be sold if the 12v was in it. :Cheer:

Yeah right.....and I still have every vehicle I've ever owned:poke:

Hows that work with your Ford? Because its a newer CR it fits the "rules"? :poke:

Exactly. '03 engine in a '00 chassis.

Do what you want.....but emission testing for diesels is coming....and your '06 truck with a '97 engine will be religated to a "Farm truck" only when it does! Just giving you a heads up and as suggested earlier, a simple call to the DMV will let you know.

Mark have you found out yet whether the 06 needs more than just injectors?

nope.. Dawn's dad now is going to be bringing it down around Easter.

Just makes me wonder if I should spend the money to get it running, which if its the bodies that need rebuilt - $1200 easy...if a piston is melted, the CR is coming out immediately. Having to wait this long to even get a chance to look at it is driving me crazy...:bang

Yeah right.....and I still have every vehicle I've ever owned:poke:

Exactly. '03 engine in a '00 chassis.

Do what you want.....but emission testing for diesels is coming....and your '06 truck with a '97 engine will be religated to a "Farm truck" only when it does! Just giving you a heads up and as suggested earlier, a simple call to the DMV will let you know.

So..I understand where you're coming from, but if it comes to a point where emissions come along, I'll buy another truck and not drive this on the road.

I'm not trying to call ya out, but every modification we do to these trucks is "illegal" and probably won't be allowed years down the road.

Why not enjoy the ride now while it lasts? :rockwoot:

That is exactly why.

Personally I cant see any reason why you would want to go from a good CR to a 12V. Not to dis the 12V, but why would you want to give up a engine that has dynamic timing etc for one that dosent. The CR engine is a very good engine, very easy to work with, very reliable if you do the right things to it. I know of lots and lots of CR's with 3 - 4 hunderd thousand miles on them. I have a 1000+ Hp one. I would personally never go back to a 12V or 24V to be honest.

But if you are dead set on it, you would have to talk to a company like DeStroked or the like to get something to work with your dash, tranny etc. You would have no speedometer, nothing.

I don't doubt CR's are good. This CR has 207k+ miles, and doesn't run. :doh: It may turn out to be a damn good running engine once I get a chance to look at it.

Gauges will work. Ive seen two running 3rd gen trucks with 12valves in them. I think its a good swap myself. A 12valve is by far a much more reliable engine, and a much more easly hotrodded engine. As far as the emission testing goes i dont think there is anything to worry bout, unless you live in a state where you are tested. Besides what is the difference in removing a dpf or altering any new diesel when it comes to breaking federal law.

if your set on it do it, im a die hard 12v fan, im buildin a 1000hp one now... but like dockboy said ur putting an older engine in a newer truck...u wont be able to register it...wheather theres smog or not... it dosnt have the emissions on it like the CR does. my buddy was gonna put a 98 12v in his 99 ford...but we called DMV and they said itd be a big NO NO. if you do decide to do it, post pics! im sure we all would like to see it! goodluck man

So all the guys that drop a 70's gm 350 into a newer car are running illegal? What if you registered it as a 97....with a newer body. A title for a junker could probably be purchased for cheap.

Gauges will work. Ive seen two running 3rd gen trucks with 12valves in them. I think its a good swap myself. A 12valve is by far a much more reliable engine, and a much more easly hotrodded engine. As far as the emission testing goes i dont think there is anything to worry bout, unless you live in a state where you are tested. Besides what is the difference in removing a dpf or altering any new diesel when it comes to breaking federal law.

were they 06's?

I wish my Mega Cab had a 12v in it :eek:

It would be a great way to destroy the value of your truck.

Just out of curiousity, but what about all the 6.0 Super Poopies that went the 12V route? Are those illegal... technically?

just got done doing it all guages factory that is work no problems at all but it is a 6 speed it is possible and this truck is D.O.T. certified for a client

Just out of curiousity, but what about all the 6.0 Super Poopies that went the 12V route? Are those illegal... technically?

yes, you can't put an older engine in a vehicle according to federal law...

obviously lots of people break this rule/law, especially in states that don't do vehicle testing

yes, you can't put an older engine in a vehicle according to federal law...

obviously lots of people break this rule/law, especially in states that don't do vehicle testing

Thought so... personally I would stay with the CR, but if I had a Ford I would do the 12V swap before I ever put it in drive again LOL

So if the engine is newer than the truck no matter by how many years than it is legal. For instance, A 2000 ford with a 2001 24v on up to present is legal and not be questioned for any reason?

correct... it all boils down to the inspector/ref/etc.

they're not going to know the difference between a 98 24v and a 2001 24v

you might have some trouble putting a 12v in it and getting it to pass :eek:

All gauges will work just find without a stand alone controller. i have a couple buddys that do this all the time. Just put a 12va in a 3500 06 dodge that had a blown up commonrail all gauges worked like a charm

hey forrest if you put a 12v in yours can i have dibs on your turbo? lol :ft:

P.S. if you wouldnt mind PM'ing me the price for one of them bad boys, it would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

So does this mean if I put a 12 valve in my 99 that came with a 24 valve I would run into the same issues? I also live in a state that does not do testing, but it is something to think about. This might be a reason to P-pump and not swap the engine out entirely.