12Valve Advice

Shifty

Learning...
I have a 97 Dodge 2500 auto... I have a #4 plate, 370 injectors, 3gsk, everything full forward, 5" exhaust, and a BHAF... It runs good, pretty quick for a 12valve with not much done, and my wife can still drive it without any problems...lol... I'd like a bit more power, but I definitely want more smoke... It throws some smoke when I hit it, but it clears up once it gets into boost... I want a trail of smoke following me when I get into it... What would you recommend I do next??? I don't really race the truck, but I'm going to my first pull this weekend so I'm already planning on what I should do so I can pull farther at the next one... Delivery Valves??? AirDog kit??? Should I get bigger sticks??? Any advice is appreciated... Thanks, Gavin:st:

cut a big hole in one of your intercooler boots

LOL Thatll definitely give ya more smoke.

Seriously though, you should be able to have plenty of smoke with your current mods. Take your plate out and cut it to a 0. That will give you more smoke/power. If your transmission is stock though, id say its hating life right now. I would get the transmission taken care of first, then worry about more power.

in all seriousness... you should address your transmission before you do anything else...

black smoke at WOT is lame

LC's will give you gobs of smoke fast- but they will also peg your pyrometer twice as fast.... be mindful on your egt temps if you go this route......

or put a bag on your air filter. LOL If you want some serious smoke laser cuts are the way to go, and pull your plate out.

The lazer cuts aren't too much for the street??? I was reading about somebody with them and it was putting the fire out on a set up that was way more aggressive than mine, but they said it was a bit much for the street...

The trans has a fresh rebuild, it has a converter, but it is a stock rebuild... I'm not going to pull it apart until it lets go... Yea, I don't want to lose the streetability of the truck with high EGT's, but I still want a bit more power and smoke...

rack plug, tuned the afc, 4k, 60lb springs, overflow valve, but more smoke and more power doesnt really go well together.

If your running a stock turbo you should be able to use what you have already. Not that I'm a fan of smoke, but you shouldn't be able to clear your smoke with everything set on kill. Try another plate, add the 2095 rack plug, afc tuning, check fuel pressure....

but it looks COOL dude!!! :p

if you want to make some clean power, I've got a Mack plug and some 181's in the closet

I just did a setup for a guy with a 95 dually 5speed. I put full cuts, no plate, disabled afc, DDP 3's, 17* timing, and 4k springs with stock charger. It runs awsome and will leave smoke if you stomp it. If you ease into it like you should it stays pretty clean though. He dynoed it in Danville Indiana last weekend and did 423/909. He was giddy as a schoolgirl because he also got 15 mpg pulling his drag car to Irp and back. This might be a good setup for you to try. Tim

That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for IllinoisRam, thanks you for the honest help...
For everybody else that's talking about wasting fuel, smoke is stupid, and telling me to cut a hole in an intercooler pipe, tell me you didn't enjoy the smoke when you first got your truck turned up... Oh, and If I was worried about fuel mileage I would of bought a hybrid...:blahblah1: I can't stand the way some of you act, like you always knew everything about diesels, or you made 600hp the day you bought yours... We all have to start somewhere, I've been playing with turbo cars for a while now, but I'm just starting with diesels...

I just did a setup for a guy with a 95 dually 5speed. I put full cuts, no plate, disabled afc, DDP 3's, 17* timing, and 4k springs with stock charger. It runs awsome and will leave smoke if you stomp it. If you ease into it like you should it stays pretty clean though. He dynoed it in Danville Indiana last weekend and did 423/909. He was giddy as a schoolgirl because he also got 15 mpg pulling his drag car to Irp and back. This might be a good setup for you to try. Tim

just saying that you can obviously already smoke when you want to... you should be striving to make more power... smoke shouldn't even be a concern.

if you want more smoke, add more fuel or remove oxygen... that's all there is to it.

if you want more power, let's get after it!!! you're on the right forum! :cool:

Shifty the guys here give people a hard time, it's part of the fun.

When I first joined I was like you and now I'm trying to find a way to burn my fuel better and net more power. Yeah, I'm with you smoke is cool and there's no better way to tell a tailgater to get off your butt, but see where we're coming from on the fact that power without smoke is a lot better for the sport.

Now that I'm off my "gale" tangent, do you have a lockup switch installed on your truck for the torque converter? Or any aftermarket tranny mods?

Well said Forrest, build for power the smoke will come.

And if you can't get smoke with 370s and everything full forward, I'd be trying to figure out what was wrong...