12Valve Advice

I'm still up in the air on what direction to head with the truck... I want to keep it completely streetable/driveable, but I want to have fun with it too... It leaves a light haze of black smoke once I'm down on it, but I just wanted it to be a bit thicker... I still have the stock turbo, but I have an HX40 that I can put on if I want to... I know I can make more smoke and power with my current setup, but I don't want to pull the pump off to do the Mack plug... I'm trying to figure out what to do to get more out of it... I turned the star wheel all the way, but am I supposed to grind the AFC arm so I can get full rack travel??? I could of sworn that I read that, but now I can't find anything else on it... What else can I do??? We don't have any local diesel shops, so I don't have anybody that I can go to and ask... I have a few plates laying around, so I was thinking about grinding one, but I don't want crazy EGT's... Oh, somebody asked about EGT's... It hits 1600 around 80 or 90 if I stand on it from a dead stop... It climbs fast when the converter is locked, but I'm not really into making high speed passes in it...lol... I'm going to put a boost elbow on this weekend, I have the wg line crimped right now, so I have 45lbs of boost... So, what do you guys think???

What does smoke have to do with the "sport" or helping it??? If I wanted to make power without smoke I'd drive my T-Type...lol... I like the fact that my truck is loud, smokey, and dirty... I guess I'm just a noob, or the ricer of the diesel crowd, but I just don't understand what you guys are trying to say...

The sport of "diesel" is frowned upon because of the black smoke leaving people coughing in our clouds. Smoke doesn't always=power. So if you want to have smoke then get the full cut D/V and watch your fuel mileage go down the drain.

The smoke gets old very fast though trust me, as I stated I had the same mindset you have and I changed it real quick and my truck has never ran stronger.

Forrest i to have a plug to install on my [911] pump 180hp., i planned to install this weekend but how can it be done w/o removing the pump? Also i have a snow kit to install to see if this eliminates my egt issue with these crazy full cuts. If not pm me with info on what you would take for your set of 181's to try out. Or 191's if any one has an extra set. I also have a set of 179's if anyone interested in them to Have or trade?? They came out of an 230hp F8000 big truck w/ a p-pump 12v. Thanks Ryan

this setup looks great... what kind of mileage without trailer?

I just did a setup for a guy with a 95 dually 5speed. I put full cuts, no plate, disabled afc, DDP 3's, 17* timing, and 4k springs with stock charger. It runs awsome and will leave smoke if you stomp it. If you ease into it like you should it stays pretty clean though. He dynoed it in Danville Indiana last weekend and did 423/909. He was giddy as a schoolgirl because he also got 15 mpg pulling his drag car to Irp and back. This might be a good setup for you to try. Tim

What does smoke have to do with the "sport" or helping it??? If I wanted to make power without smoke I'd drive my T-Type...lol... I like the fact that my truck is loud, smokey, and dirty... I guess I'm just a noob, or the ricer of the diesel crowd, but I just don't understand what you guys are trying to say...

yes, you are the ricer of the diesel crowd... you are the backwards hat, giant fart can, slower than grandma's 87 LeSabre, base model honda of the diesel crowd...

black smoke is like loud exhaust or big wings... yeah, a lot of fast cars are loud and a lot of VERY high end race cars have wings for a REASON, but it's super lame to have loud exhaust and a big wing on a little turd that can't get out of its own way JUST for the sake of having a loud exhaust and big wing...

same way with diesels... yeah, a lot of really fast/powerful diesels smoke... mine will stop traffic across 8 lanes if I decide to do it... but I don't... because there's no point.

there's this tool that drives around my town with a 3rd gen 6sp with stacks... he's got 200 horse injector nozzles, bully dog and a TST... he's got a STOCK CP3 and STOCK lift pump. He drives around farting black smoke out of his stacks CONSTANTLY. On his tailgate in big letters it says "Old Smokey".

Just the other day I pulled up next to him in my 04 and he wouldn't run, so I turned up the TST up just enough to get a fair amount of smoke out of the pipe so that he would hopefully be intrigued and want to race. granted, my truck would put out just as much smoke as his, but if I did that, he might not want to run!

so here he comes, I turn the TST back down so that I won't drain the rail, he nails it from two trucks back trying to do the ricer fly-by, and I roll into it as he reaches my front door and put three trucks on him before I shut it down.

at WOT my 04 has almost ZERO smoke out the tail pipe. It's about as much as a stock 7.3 powerstroke puts out, almost invisible.

so how lame is that? this guy spends a bunch of time and money trying to make his truck smoke and he actually goes SLOWER because he's draining the rail, and I pull up next to him and embarass him with no smoke!

remember kids, going fast IS looking good!! :woohoo:

The sport of "diesel" is frowned upon because of the black smoke leaving people coughing in our clouds. Smoke doesn't always=power. So if you want to have smoke then get the full cut D/V and watch your fuel mileage go down the drain.

The smoke gets old very fast though trust me, as I stated I had the same mindset you have and I changed it real quick and my truck has never ran stronger.

I think you guys all have good advice in your own way. BUT, I have been driving diesel rigs for 4 years now and SMOKE NEVER GETS OLD. Just wanted to add my $.02

Thanks for being honest Powerstroke... I enjoy being able to blow big clouds of smoke at people too...lol...

:clap::clap: to Forrest's last post.

I'm not as fast as he is, but I can pour the smoke, and am betting the 370s will give me even more if I want it, but why? I'd rather have power:evil

It's not like my truck is slow or doesn't make power, I just want a bit more smoke... I'll tell you what... Let's agree to disagree... Some like it and some don't, end of story...

of all the people I encounter, the ones that constantly talk about smoke and talk about whose truck can "roll it out" are the little 17-18-19yr olds that hang out at the local Sonic...

focus on going fast, the smoke will naturaly follow

It's not like my truck is slow or doesn't make power, I just want a bit more smoke... I'll tell you what... Let's agree to disagree... Some like it and some don't, end of story...
Not quite. Because the bad pr generated by the constantly smoking trucks is killing our image in the eyes of John Q. Public, those of us that are telling you to back off the smoke questions are doing so because driving around constantly belching out smoke WILL be the end of our hobby.

We love what we do, and if we can help our image in the eyes of the general public, and make more efficient power in the process you can bet your lazer cut DVs that we will do just that. Those of us into these trucks, and those that enjoy seeing them be fast and powerful, (with the smoke, or without) are in the minority, all most people know is that they are smoky, and stink, and they don't like it. So why not slap more restrictions on those trucks they don't like? We are trying to not give them as much to not like.

if you want smoke, put the mack plug on it, gut the AFC, and put some DDP4's or Dragon Flow injectors in it. You'll be king of the tire fire!

big smoke... besides being extremely obnoxious to most folks, gives diesels a bad name in general.

with fuel at $4 gal... don't know about you, but I'd rather fuel be used at max efficiency.

maybe I'm different than most on this site. my objective is light HP increase to 400hp range. while gaining in mileage and pulling ability.

John Q Public isn't going to agree with anything that has "modifications" regardless of what it is(The DMV gives me a hard time in my Ram, my Subaru, and my Buick. They are cracking down and it's just going to get worse)... Just because you can't see the smoke doesn't mean its not putting out pollutants...
Look, we have different views on something, why do you guys keep going...

a TC lock-up switch would benifit you on that auto, but its pretty hard on a basic stock tranny, its hard enough on a built tranny unless your running billit shafts,{specailly if you make locked up shifts manually! also,if you want to make the next big step for more HP, I would suggest a valet switch, so you could make it drivable for your wife, or just so you dont have to worry about it, driving up and down the block, do a search for valet switch, lots of info,.......