12Valve Advice

John Q Public isn't going to agree with anything that has "modifications" regardless of what it is(The DMV gives me a hard time in my Ram, my Subaru, and my Buick. They are cracking down and it's just going to get worse)... Just because you can't see the smoke doesn't mean its not putting out pollutants...
Look, we have different views on something, why do you guys keep going...

just trying to help you out... your on the best diesel performance forum on the net... asking "how do I get more smoke?" is going to turn off a LOT of people from helping you. Granted, you can do a search and dig up lots of information, but judging by your first post, that wasn't your intent.

have fun

i used to think smoke was cool when i first got my truck. but now after having it for 8 months the smoke is not always fun, but with my 180 pump and a stock auto which is getting some serously need attention soon my 0 plate full forward, and 4kgsk my truck hazes at wot, and its puts out a nice little cloud of smoke whenever i wanna pass someone on the highway, and i don't always want it to smoke when im passing someone, but normal driving my truck doesn't smoke at all which is nice, but i also have stock injectors, and stock deliverys which are 181's. so im only do injectors for more fuel and a mack rack plug and thats it for fuel. but just the plate gives me more fuel then my stock turbo can handle.

My lockup hasn't done much to my tranny and I've got stock shafts. It made my truck come alive to be honest. It was a night and day difference on the street too.

how are you using your lockup?

My lockup hasn't done much to my tranny and I've got stock shafts. It made my truck come alive to be honest. It was a night and day difference on the street too.

Daily driving-Whenever I need to get around someone or a ricer drives up next to me and feels like a race then I'll push to the floor and lock it up and the truck takes off. Around 30 if I'm just driving around I'll lock it up and turn O/D off then above 45 I'll turn O/D back on and there is no stall in shifting.

Racing-Select 4wd then build boost and when the hands go down I reach down and push it out of 4wd at around 20mph and then lock the TC and and hold on.

:clap::clap: to Forrest's last post.

I'm not as fast as he is, but I can pour the smoke, and am betting the 370s will give me even more if I want it, but why? I'd rather have power:evil

SImple here

u want smoke, pull an IC boot, that will do it for u.. But i agree with forrest here. My truck, as a base, will peg a 60lb boost gauge with that same almost invisible smoke as a 7.3. Ppl who have known me know ive come a long way from the smoke stories to now the clean running diesel. My motive? im sick of always cleaning a black rim, :nail: but in all seriousness my truck has never run stronger than it has before, now it just flat out rocks when u can tune it to where almost all of your fuel is utilized in ur turbo setup.. that will give u the power and smoke free monster that most of us here like...

Nick.... smoke over power.. agreed.. but even tho we dont like mr banks so much, he is right about smoke bein uncool... its just wasted power.. Smartest thing he has said to date...

Rick

I think you guys ought to lighten up on this guy alittle. He will find out in due time that it is hard to straddle the imaginary fence of great daily driver and high preformance toy as most of us have. Especially for us 12 valve guys. LOL. But i do agree that smoke when not wanted is a pain in the a**. I get about 14 mpg on the highway so i deceided to take my truck to W. Virginia for deer season and while trying to drive through the mountains, i could not keep my truck from smoking. (Thanks to the hx50). It is definantly not cool when having family ride with you and tagged deer in the back get smoked up from the stacks. One of these days maybe i will join the electronic folk and make cleaner power too for a daily driver. We need to help our image out, but lets not drive people away either. Just my $.02 Tim

Alright this post is not meant to piss anyone off but it probably will and I am tired of reading about this crap. I DONT GIVE TWO FLYING RATS A$$ES about fuel prices or mileage. I chose to buy a diesel therefore I expect to pay more in EVERYTHING. I can afford two diesels. I cant afford alot of the modifications out there to make a 600 hp truck but I have 2 daily driver slightly modified diesels. Like I said before, I have owned diesels for a few years now, 4 different rigs to be exact, and I havent ever gotten over the "smoke". I still love it. You know what, If you dont like to see the smoke, DONT DRIVE BEHIND ME. I could give a $hit what the rest of the world thinks of my smoke. F**K em. I can afford all that wasted fuel so leave me the hell alone. I know that none of this thread was specifically targeted at me but I wanted to let Shifty know that he isnt alone and NO guy, you arent the only one who loves smoke. I personally think that if your picking on this guy then you are the poser that deserves the crap. So to all you who say: if you want to see your money go down the drain, WELL HELL YES I DO, IF YOU DONT LIKE IT WHO CARES. To all you who say, Black smoke makes us look bad, I KNOW BUT WITH EVERY GODLESS CELEBRITY SAYING THAT WE ARE BAD ANYWAY, WE ARENT MAKING ANY HEAD WAY, SO WHO CARES. Sorry for the :soap: but I couldnt hold back. I am passionate about my rigs and like I said before, If you cant afford it, SELL IT. I can afford diesel and will continue about my usual ways.

Damn Powerstroke, I basically think like you but you sure are going to make enemies for that one. I love the smoke as much as you, but like i said in my other post, there is a few occasions when it is not needed or wanted. You made it clear you don't care though so take it easey. Tim

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! Exactly my point... I'm sure when everybody first got intakes or filters on their trucks they drove around trying to make the turbo sing, just like when you do the exhaust, or injectors, or anything new to your truck that you are proud of... When I first got my T-type(I love turbo 6's) I was driving around with an open downpipe, and getting into boost and closing the throttle so the turbo would bark... People would look around, realize it was me, and I'd get a thumbs up... That made me smile at the time... I've had the car for a while so now it has quiet exhaust, and I drive alot differently... It runs 10's at the moment, so I try to attract as little attention as possible so I can actually play around with somebody without them knowing they are going to get their feelings hurt...lol... My Subaru, which sits all the time, is for going out with the wife and kids, or if me and the wife are going out somewhere nice... The truck I bought for work and towing, but I drive it all the time, I like my $6000 truck more than my $30000 car... It may not be what you like, but I love it... I guess I'm behind the times on the diesel fad, so the smoke is still fun for me... Maybe I'll check back into this site after I change my set up... I usually catch up fast, so watch out when I come back...*bdh*

Alright this post is not meant to piss anyone off but it probably will and I am tired of reading about this crap. I DONT GIVE TWO FLYING RATS A$$ES about fuel prices or mileage. I chose to buy a diesel therefore I expect to pay more in EVERYTHING. I can afford two diesels. I cant afford alot of the modifications out there to make a 600 hp truck but I have 2 daily driver slightly modified diesels. Like I said before, I have owned diesels for a few years now, 4 different rigs to be exact, and I havent ever gotten over the "smoke". I still love it. You know what, If you dont like to see the smoke, DONT DRIVE BEHIND ME. I could give a $hit what the rest of the world thinks of my smoke. F**K em. I can afford all that wasted fuel so leave me the hell alone. I know that none of this thread was specifically targeted at me but I wanted to let Shifty know that he isnt alone and NO guy, you arent the only one who loves smoke. I personally think that if your picking on this guy then you are the poser that deserves the crap. So to all you who say: if you want to see your money go down the drain, WELL HELL YES I DO, IF YOU DONT LIKE IT WHO CARES. To all you who say, Black smoke makes us look bad, I KNOW BUT WITH EVERY GODLESS CELEBRITY SAYING THAT WE ARE BAD ANYWAY, WE ARENT MAKING ANY HEAD WAY, SO WHO CARES. Sorry for the :soap: but I couldnt hold back. I am passionate about my rigs and like I said before, If you cant afford it, SELL IT. I can afford diesel and will continue about my usual ways.

Yeah because making your turbo bark is so goood for it, you guys are taking it the wrong ******* way. Yeah we like the smoke, our point is focus on your power more and you'll have a happier engine.

I'm sorry to say but we are making headway. Take it for what it's worth. I love the smoke..the smell the cloud the way it swirls out from the turbo in fact I blew a few clouds today being this is the last weekend I'll drive it for a while, hell I'll probably even be doing some racing tonight...but if you want to keep them around for longer than the next five years look into the long run. Sorry but it affects EVERYONE.

Yea no ****, making your turbo bark is bad for it, but everything we do to our trucks is bad for them... When they put these trucks together you think they were planning on people racing them??? NO... They were planning on people pulling their race cars with them, working, pulling stuff, and making money with them... Dude, get off your high horse... You are talking about making smoke today, but I'm stupid for wanting to make some with my truck... If the smoke is so gay then why does everybody have pictures of their trucks blowing smoke??? You just said the stupidest thing I've ever heard... The more power your motor makes the happier it is??? Yea, ok... See which lasts longer, a 250hp truck, of a 800hp truck...
You are a follower, you are scared to voice your own opinion if it goes against what everybody else is saying... Pick an answer and stick with it... Nobody's right all the time...

Take the afc off and remove the foot

Take the plate out

Remove the delivery valves and use a dremel tool to grind the shoulder off, similar to the picture on the left of the full cut's.

This is probably the worst advice i can remember giving, but it'll smoke like a freight train.

Cya at the machine shop,

Dave

Attachments

• dvscollectfu1.jpg
    dvscollectfu1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 17
You're still not seeing what I'm saying. Yeah I love the smoke but it's not what it's all about dude and if it is then you must not care about fuel economy to much and good for you.

Though I'm nowhere near 800 but I'm very sure my truck runs a lot stronger and a lot better with the mods I've done to it. I'm also certain that a truck with a built engine to handle the loads the owner puts on it will last a lot longer than one that has to struggle to do the job.

As far as you saying I'm a follower I'm really not sure in what you're saying. Guess what I did tonight...I raced my truck and blew some smoke! Want to know why? It's a sacrifice that I'm willing to live with and with all the boners in my town it's worth covering them in a cloud to get them off of their "high horse." It's been said before, there's a time and a place for blowing clouds of smoke and if you want to go around with a cloud following you everywhere then go for it.

For someone to be after just smoke it's stupid in my opinion, plain and simple stupidity, but to each his own have fun with your truck and the clouds of smoke coming from it.

thanks... still not clear on what you are doing.... for normal driving, are you allowing tyranny to shift with lockup engaged? where's your lockup switch located?

Daily driving-Whenever I need to get around someone or a ricer drives up next to me and feels like a race then I'll push to the floor and lock it up and the truck takes off. Around 30 if I'm just driving around I'll lock it up and turn O/D off then above 45 I'll turn O/D back on and there is no stall in shifting.

Racing-Select 4wd then build boost and when the hands go down I reach down and push it out of 4wd at around 20mph and then lock the TC and and hold on.

I allow it to shift into 3rd then lock it up and turn O/D off. If you just let it drive with O/D off it will lock up I believe around 30mph on it's own depending on RPM.

Drive around with O/D off and go above 45mph and listen to how long it takes to catch up and shift, with the lockup switch engaged it shifts as soon as you turn O/D back on.

thanks.. I've noticed tranny doing exactly what you state below.
what I'm not clear on, is do you allow tranny to shift with TC locked up?

I allow it to shift into 3rd then lock it up and turn O/D off. If you just let it drive with O/D off it will lock up I believe around 30mph on it's own depending on RPM.

Drive around with O/D off and go above 45mph and listen to how long it takes to catch up and shift, with the lockup switch engaged it shifts as soon as you turn O/D back on.

When racing, yes. On the street it will shift from 3rd to O/D locked up once I turn O/D back on.