14mm ve build???

I'm glad I bought that non-ic pump, I just broke my IC one. Gonna throw it on as a 12mm, then order a clutch soon, then tires, then the 14mm. pulling season approaches, and I won't get to pull at all without a clutch. and won't pull far with bald tires.

Scheid 14mm VE pump, 5x25 injectors. You can get the 14mm pump heads from Rocken Tech and have them installed by a shop, I think they are $400 or so. As long as you try to limit rpm to 3500-ish, they seem to do ok. I shift mine at 3K, which is why I only run the 62mm turbo. You'll also need a AirDog 150 or similar lift pump. The Scheid pump will flow more, and deful harder, but most VE guys don't have 2K to spend on one.

I still think VE power would benifit greatly from a higher pressure fuel system with the timing advance controlled strictly by the vane pump, and the H&r fed through the shut off, its the best of both worlds and would be pretty easy with some time invested to play with it.

Ive made a few seal retainers and they all have held up, ive got another truck coming Saturday that the plan will be to run a 2ndgen lift pump unregulated to a locktight/retained seal...my case pressure did enjoy when I had 40+psi, then again my injectors were never as big as Jason's.

ve's are quite fun to mess with.

Alex, turboram on 1st Gen has done that. For his truck puller. Uses a power steering pump to head the h&r directly through the timing port. 1500 psi with a check valve and for low rpm the fss opens.

1500 psi???? Holy mofo, im surprised he is not destroying cam plates with fuel that dense

just rigged another truck today, 2ndgen piston pump, unregulated to a VE with a new seal, locktighted and retained. I swear VE's love the extra pressure. truck feels healthy.

At what point does the increased supply pressure, affect, if not overwhelm the vane-pump's pressure regulator? Certainly, the restricted overflow port passes more fuel to somewhat compensate in it's function, but . .

What about the timing advance piston's spring? What timing advance profile does one end up with running the higher case pressure with the stock/OEM spring?

The inlet pressure compensates for some lost volume in the form of PSI.

IMO the biggest disadvantage will be physical strain on the vane pump vanes.

Running 20 psi VS 40-50psi on my truck netted almost exactly the same input psi as output case pressue. Aka 20 psi =100 psi full load WOT where 50 psi inlet = 130 psi case pressure wot... Whatever the case, even if the case pressure did not greatly effect power, maybe it helped maintain timing advance.

Dave... I'd love to see what case pressure is like on your truck, i'll send you a modified case pressure fitting for free if you are willing to set up a gauge.

I am thinking about running a 14mm head and 4mm camplate on my tractor. But some people have steered me away from it because they say they sieze up because the heads cavitate?
It is a 4VE retrofitted to a 318 perkins, already have a Raptor lift pump, and have retained the seal with three pan head screws.
I probably will never turn over 3500rpm, a rod would probably finds its own door in the side of my blockLOL

Oldestof, I know of a guy that lives near me that did the same thing. Surprisingly it worked! He does not have the tractor anymore though

Last edited:
Has anybody ran the 14mm with 4mm cam plate on the street and kept it together and from locking up? Was also wondering if anybody has tryed to feed the head with a gear pump from a N14 or V12 cummins with a high pressure regulator? Would still feed the pump at the stock inlet to keep the parts lubricted and the timing advance working properly. The hole that feeds the head from the pump body would need to be block to keep the 2 systems isolated from each other. Anybody try this or have thoughts

as far as I know everyone that's tried to run both has had it seize up very quickly

On the bench with stock injectors. No one has ran it on the street a far as i know

JAyers ran his for a while before it ran away on the dyno....

Has anybody ran the 14mm with 4mm cam plate on the street and kept it together and from locking up? Was also wondering if anybody has tryed to feed the head with a gear pump from a N14 or V12 cummins with a high pressure regulator? Would still feed the pump at the stock inlet to keep the parts lubricted and the timing advance working properly. The hole that feeds the head from the pump body would need to be block to keep the 2 systems isolated from each other. Anybody try this or have thoughts

What kind of pressures do the P/T pumps usually push? I'd be weary of going too high at the inlet to prevent pushing fuel past the driveshaft front seal. The regulator would be a good idea to keep it below 30psi.

The 4mm camplate always seemed to be the cause of most failures. Although, there are some who have been lucky with it. A good camplate for a reliable 14mm pump be would the 3.2mm or stock, 2.8mm

Last edited:
Back