18* timing...lost power!

brushpuller

Thinkin...
I have a 96 12v 5 speed with a 215 pump. It is stock except for the stock fuel plate slid forword, AFC adj., open air cleaner and strait pipe. I advanced the timing to 18*( factory it was at 9* but the tag said 12.5) After a test drive, then hooked up the trailer with a load...she lost a BUNCH of power!!! What gives with that? Im thinkn, set the timing back down to around 10* or so to get my power back because it towed GREAT when the timing was a 9*... Any thoughts?

you lost low end power... and you have no top end power because you still have the stock governor springs... I'd set it around 14* if you're not going to do a GSK

check it again and make shure it didnt slip. get a new lockwasher from cummins. my timing slipped all the time untill i got a new lockwasher.

after you retime your truck 3-4 different times the lockwasher pays for itself

if you go from 9* to 18*, the truck is going to feel like a slug at lower RPM compared to how it did before.

optimal injection timing depends on the powerband you're trying to utilize

if you had a 4K GSK in there, you would be singing praises at how much better the truck runs above 2000rpm

kinda off topic but will the cummins motor run at 4*? when i had my truck taken to cummins to be retimed the guy said it was at 4*, it was running but very very poorly

I see...So you think around 14* timing would be good for a low end truck, or maybe lower then that...say 10*... I am planning on a #10 plate...would that make any difference in where to put the timing?

I did put a new lock washer on when i did the timing. Also rechecked the timing for slip...it didn't!

Timing was the only change? Sure the governor arm isn't hanging?

Timing was the only change? Sure the governor arm isn't hanging?

Yes timing was the only changed/touched. It does feel just like forest said, i lost ALL my bottom end! The truck is a tow rig only and it run great(for towing) before the timing change.

I'd leave it at 18* and put in some 4k springs... takes about the same amount of time but runs way better.

kinda off topic but will the cummins motor run at 4*? when i had my truck taken to cummins to be retimed the guy said it was at 4*, it was running but very very poorly

I slipped timing (once) and it was 1/2 round on the crank off, luckly it was a short drive home cause it wouldn't get over 1100 RPM's.

Jim

I run a lot of trucks @ 15°, good balance if high RPM is not desired.

Ok guys...thanks for the help!!! How hard is it to pul GS in with the pump on/still in the truck...i looked it over and it don't look good????

Last edited:
It's easy, needle nose pliers and some patience

(beer might help with the nerves)